A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

LOVER AWAKENED by J. R. Ward



I'm coming out of reader mode to let you know I just finished reading this book, LOVER AWAKENED by J. R. Ward.

I had intended my next blog to be about
Nalini Singh's book, SLAVE TO SENSATION, but when I finished reading LOVER AWAKENED I found I just had to comment on it. I've really enjoyed this series so far. Often times when you get to the third book in a multi-book series the umbrella story and plot line can run a bit thin. Even if you have a substantial central love story sometimes the main theme just doesn't hold up or hold the reader's interest. With this third installment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, I found myself even further immersed in the world Ms. Ward has created. What I liked the most was the depth and detail of the characters and the world they inhabit. The pages flew by.

I'm a fan of the tortured hero and I know not everyone is. The Black Dagger Brotherhood is full of tortured heros. Each warrior has his own cross to bear. Zsadist certainly is one of the more gruesome and cruel. Ms. Ward takes pains in the previous novels, and in the beginning of this one, to let us know that this guy is no cream puff. Here's the summary from the author's web site:

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…


My enthusiasm for the book spilled over into a conversation with the guy I live with last night. We had a discussion about redemption. Certainly I know this book is a work of fiction, but it made me think about deep wounds and pain people suffer from every day. People we know. People we love. Change is hard...very hard. For one to be redeemed one must first believe they are deserving of redemption. Change, redemption, forgiveness. If one little romance novel can make me think about and talk about stuff like that...well, I think it makes it worth reading.


Update: I just read a great review with some added insights and comments about this book at Paperback Reader. Go check it out.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home