A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I like having people over...

From the time I was in high school I remember wanting to have a home where people gathered. Friends, family, co-workers, my children's playmates. I wanted my home to be the place where people felt comfortable and at ease. Where my kids could and would invite their friends over.

I've realized recently that this is still an important component of my life. I like nothing better than to have my house filled with people. When I was in my 20's I had to worry about money. When I was in my 30's I had small children and didn't have the time or the energy to have lots of people around. But in the last 10 years I've learned not to worry so much about formal gatherings, matching tablecloths, appropriate centerpieces, etc.

Now I just try to have my home open. A place my nearest and dearest can stop by at any time and be welcomed. I try to have stuff to eat and drink on hand for such occasions. But if I don't, I don't freak out and worry. I remind myself that the people are what makes the moment special, not food you serve.

In any case I really enjoy the spontaneous gatherings to catch up on events and happenings in their lives or just to watch a movie together. I feel lucky to able to look back on a dream that was just an abstract thought in my youth and know that it is a reality in my life today.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home