A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I can be FIRED?!!

Apparently free speech doesn't apply to your blog if you have a few choice words to share about your employer or any of the people you work with. In fact, in an article by USA Today, employers are now drafting policy with regard to employee blogging like they have had to do in recent years with email.

You're kidding right? I can't complain about people I work with on my personal blog, on my personal computer, on my personal time? Puh-leeze! As the article states, how is that different from going into a bar (public forum) and bitching to all and sundry after throwing back a few drinks? As far as I know you can't get fired for bitching about work and co-workers in a bar on Friday night. However, if you rant about them on the world wide web, well that's a different story.

Companies and employees have already gone to court and appealed rulings about firing people for blogging. I can't believe we now have legal precedent to uphold the firings. Somehow, it just doesn't seem right to me.

The part of this flap that I DO understand are the instances where individuals are giving out trade secret info or release info on new products that would directly impact your company's business. Now, that I get. There you are messing with a company's opportunity to perform and conduct business. A blog is a public forum and you are exposing your company to loss of revenue, etc. by exposing or revealing a plan or product without their permission.

But, if I want to bitch because Lois Lucious is giving blow jobs in the executive mens room to get promotions...I figure, I can complain. After all, Lois can bitch about me on her own damn blog! If I want to lament the luck of Orville Ortho Shoes winning the raffle at the company picnic and getting a trip to Maui, well I figure I'm entitled. After all, Orville won the a t-shirt and coffee mug with our new company logo just last week.

Of course, the obvious solution? Don't tell anyone at work you blog. Blog under an assumed name and CHANGE THE NAMES FOR CRIPES SAKES! Sheesh...it don't take a genius.

Now about my boss...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger WarriorM said...

Lois Lucious? Orville Ortho Shoes? Nice! I'm with you with regard to the whole free speech deal! I also understand companies not wanting people to give away trade secrets on their blogs. But we all have a right to bitch, right? I found a funny blog called "The Adventures of Disgusting Girl". It's about a guy and the disgusting girl who works with him. He's completely anonymous and it's pretty funny. I have no idea how I found it, though! :-)

5:57 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home