A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, March 19, 2007

No Day Off for Me

Yesterday didn't quite go as planned. TGILW and I had a nice lunch together and we were just settling down to a nice quiet afternoon trying to decide if we wanted to read, watch a movie or, well...you know, when we got a phone call from my sister. My youngest son and his cousins got into a car accident on the way home from the beach. Her daughter had called from the scene because my son couldn't use the phone.

The beach had been cloudy so they were heading home early when they got caught in a chain reaction rear end collision on the freeway. Thank God the traffic was creeping along at about 15 mph. They all could have been hurt so much worse. The whole thing got started by a van not having brake lights. Anyway, my niece braked abruptly and hit the rear fender of the car in front of her the airbags engaged and beat the living hell out of my niece and my son.

I'm not complaining about the airbags. Better those than their little faces hitting the dash, steering wheel or windshield. Also, thank God for seatbelts. These safety devices in the car saved them from being hurt worse. It's just hard seeing the kids look so hurt and horrible. If you can stand it I put a picture of my son below. The paper cup was a makeshift eye shield as his right eye is pretty battered and has a slight tear in the corner near his nose. We have to keep watch on that.

Our family has endured catastrophic illness and loss so the impotence of suffering the slings and arrows of life is not a new one. However, this accident was a graphic reminder of how quickly one's life can change. Literally from one instant to the next your life as you knew it can change course.

I'm so grateful to have him home safe in his room even if he is a little worse for the wear. One good thing to come out of it? He doesn't want to venture on the freeway for awhile or far from home and says he will never, ever, ever, not have a car without airbags or not wear his seatbelt because they really work.
Here's the picture we took yesterday in the ER. His lips are swollen to about 10 times their usual size.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

Ouch, it looks like it hurts. I understand what you mean, airbags are a necessity, but isn't there a way where they could protect without hurting? I'm glad your son and niece are okay.

2:06 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I'm so sorry that your son and niece were in an accident. Thank god for those airbags and that they were wearing their seatbelts. Hope he recovers quickly and that his eye is ok. HUGS

2:21 PM PDT  
Blogger Marg said...

Oh my goodness. Thank goodness they are okay, although that does look painful.

1:08 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

That is just horrible! I hope that your neice and son make a full recovery! Ouch. Just looking at his face is painful, I can't imagine how he feels! Was an ambulance called and were they taken to Emerg?

Take care and give your son an extra hug!

CindyS

5:16 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, while it's puzzling that airbags have to cause so much damage, the alternative of hitting the dashboard or windshield reminds me it could have been so much worse.

Ames, they both (and two other passengers) had seatbelts on. They all feel achy and sore from the seatbelts locking. Actually that is one silver lining because my son realizes the airbags and seatbelts probably saved his life.

Marg, I am very, very, very grateful it wasn't any worse even though it isn't very pleasant for him right now.

Cindy, they should both be fine. Dr. put my son on complete bedrest this week due to a small tear in his eye. They don't want it to get worse. It's not easy keeping a 16 yr old on bedrest...they just don't get what staying still and quiet means!

8:45 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh Lordy, that looks like it really hurts! I'm so glad he's safe and escaped more serious injury. Keep wearing those seat belts kids!

10:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Rosie, I left a comment yesterday but apparently it got lost in cyberblog space. I said I'm glad your son is okay although he sure looks like he's in some pain. You and your family are in my thoughts.

2:06 PM PDT  
Blogger scooper said...

That is scary. I hope he's feeling better today.

4:23 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Oooh - he does look pretty rough there. I'm glad he's ok even though it looks pretty bad. And wow - those lips!

5:51 PM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

How frightening for all of you! I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. Your poor son looks miserable.

5:21 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those poor kids! That looks really painful, though TG they're ok.

8:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words of concern and well wishes. I've been busy taking care of my bed bound invalid.

Turns out he does have a tear in the right eye and is on bedrest until Friday when we see opthamologist again.

10:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

OMGosh, Rosie! Thank goodness they are all ok. He looks like he's in rough shape. I can only imagine how bad it would have been if they weren't properly restrained and didn't have airbags.

LOL - you can probably cheer him up by telling him how much people pay to get lips that look like that *g*

Keeping my fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery for all.

1:53 PM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Wounds will heal...thank God he is okay!

10:54 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home