A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

LORD OF SCOUNDRELS by Loretta Chase



At last, I've read LORD OF SCOUNDRELS by Loretta Chase. I've read so many great reviews and good things about this author I was a little nervous to actually crack the cover.

Several years ago I tried one of her books. I think it was THE HELLION, but I'm not sure. Anyway, since that was loooooong before I kept track of all the books I was reading I didn't go away wanting to buy everything Ms. Chase had written...so I didn't

For some reason the impression really stuck with me. Frankly, this is unusual for me too. After all, I'm still buying Cheryl Holt's new releases and I haven't really liked her last few books. But if an author has written a book that I REALLY liked I'm likely to keep buying them for sometime...well most of the time.

Unfortunately, my experience with Ms. Chase's book had the opposite affect. If a book is only "okay" I'm not likely to purchase another of that author's books unless I hear some buzz or reviews about a book that compels me to do so.

Why all this explanation? Recently there's been some buzz about Ms. Chase's books. It made me curious to try LORD OF SCOUNDRELS because so many people have loved the book. Then the 100 list from AAR was circulating and that clinched it. I had to order the book and check out what all the hullaballoo was about.

I admit, and even commented about it on a recent review Rosario did about another Loretta Chase book, that I was a little squeamish about reading the book due to all the praise and hype.

So are you getting my frame of mind? I was definitely a doubting Thomas when I picked up this book to read. The result of all the hand wringing and worry? I loved this book!! Even with all the doubts and wondering if a book first released in 1994 would hold up and hold my interest...this book delivers.

The back story of Lord Sebastian Dain was compelling and so tangible. Jessica Trent is smart and independent but not so much so that she seems out of context to that period of history. She understands the strictures under which she must live.

I could kiss Ms. Chase for not talking down to her readers. I congratulate her for not turning a bright and intuitive woman like Jessica into an idiot because she falls in love. This alone was so refreshing I could swoon. I get so tired of reading about a heroine who is supposedly intelligent and then decides to resolve the dilemma all on her own. It is usually out of character, context of the time and can utterly ruin an otherwise good book. That, however, was not the case here.


This was a great read. I was anxious when I couldn't be reading and couldn't wait to get back to it. If you are one of the last remaining romance readers who haven't read this book...don't wait. Go read it. You won't be sorry.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

Don't you love it when a book DOES live up to the hype!

3:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen Scott said...

I really did like this book Rosie, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

2:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to start a book that has been so heavily hyped (and I'm one who has hyped it). But it is sweet isn't it, when it does live up to it - when you don't think it possibly can!!

8:26 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosario said...

Phew! Rosie, I'm so glad you weren't disappointed!

5:27 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. You convinced me. It's now on my Ebook reader waiting on it's turn. *G*

5:27 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home