A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, November 17, 2006

The Week in Book Review

Before I posted yesterday's review of NO REST FOR THE WICKED it had only been a week since I posted my last review. For some reason it seemed like forever. Let me just say at this juncture that reader reviews are some of my most favorite things on the internet. Whether or not I agree with a review really doesn't matter. I just enjoy seeing other people's take on a book. While I occasionally have a review come flying out of my fingertips, I often struggle to adequately describe the book and my response to it. I so admire the people who review alot of books and do it well like at Dear Author or like Rosario does.

Anyway, I've finally gotten caught up putting all my books on my spreadsheet and realized I'd read quite a few books recently and no reviews. Since I'm leaving for Las Vegas later this morning and will be gone all weekend, I thought I'd do some quickie reviews of some the books I've read this week. It'll be tricky, because when I started this with NO REST FOR THE WICKED, it got so long it turned out to be a review of its' own.


PRINCE OF ICE by Emma Holly While this is loosely connected to Demon Daughter simply because it involves the Yamas, it is set in a completely different world than that of Demon Daughter. This book stands alone and aside from involving the same people and culture is not connected to Demon Daughter.

Ms. Holly knows the world and culture she has created thoroughly. It's in the details dah-ling, it's in the details! I have to say I really savor and enjoy when a writer puts us in a new world with all the nuances that make a place real. Don't you just love that?

The main characters Xishi and Corum are complex and not what you would usually expect from a Emma Holly couple. Xishi and Corum meet as children and are separated when Corum's mother fears he is too dependent on Xishi. When they meet again it is when Corum has gone to an exclusive Pleasure House to purchse a "pillow girl" and find Xishi and purchases her. It's not as icky as it sounds because Xishi has enthusiastically embraced her training and is thrilled to be reunited with Corum. Of course there are obstacles to their happiness, for one thing the difference in their class and for another a secret genetic flaw that Corum has and has hidden for years.

While fantasys are not as a rule usually my thing, this was a good book and I'll be looking for other books set in this world.

Bam also reviewed this book. It's a longer and more in depth review. Check it out here.


LIGHT MY FIRE by Katie MacAlister. This is book three of the Aisling Grey Guardian series. While I think it's possible to read this as a stand alone, you will be much better off understanding some of the humor in this book if you've read the previous two. The first one is YOU SLAY ME, number two is FIRE ME UP.

In this installment Aisling has moved to London and is trying to get on with her Guardian training. Guardians guard the hell gates from unwanted guests making appearances.

Most of the conflict is due to all the things Aisling doesn't know about her new world and being a Guardian. Aside from her training Aisling continues to have problems with her dragon mate Drake who isn't so keen on her continuing her training and wants her to take on her duties as his wyvern mate.

While this didn't have the impact or novelty that reading the first book did, it's an enjoyable light read and I'm interested enough to continue with the series.


SANTA BABY (Anthology Jennifer Crusie, Lori Foster, Carly Phillips) If I was grading this anthology I would give it a "C". Obviously from the title you can see that these are Christmas stories. Again, pretty light fare, but it provides an enjoyable afternoon reading. Crusie's far fetched but still enjoyable contribution was my favorite of the three. There's just something about her wit that tickles my funny bone. Nothing compelling or new here.


THE RULES OF SEDUCTION by Madeline Hunter Let me start by saying I continue to buy Madeline Hunter books because I've had far more enjoyable reads than not. While some of her books have made me snooze because it was a tried a true plot the one thing I can say for her she never phones the book in.

Here we have Alexia Wellbourne whose welfare is dependent on relatives who have taken her in after her father's death. When Hayden Rothwell arrives to inform her family that they must clear out of their house in order to pay off some massive debts, Alexia is certain he is solely responsible for their ruin.

This is a slight departure on the penniless woman about to be cast into the streets or prostitution because marriage is not the immediate answer to her situation. In fact there is a wonderful conversation early on between Hayden and Alexia where she lists the options she has for her future and lists becoming a "soiled dove". She purposely doesn't mention marriage because she has already dismissed it because she is poor and would mourn the loss of her independence.

Hayden is a somewhat buttoned down fellow struggling always to do the right thing. For the most part he stoically accepts he cannot let Alexia know the truth of how her family came to lose their home and assets. While there is no alternative but to have Alexia's relatives leave the house and London, Hayden finds himself trying to help Alexia.

I liked that there was strong sexual tension that both Alexia and Hayden are aware of, but not immediately acting on. As you know I'm a big fan of the characters acting appropriate to the time period and I feel that these characters do that. While there are no real surprises, there are a few interesting twists and turns along the way. I enjoyed this book more than the last few of Ms. Hunter's. There is no new ground here, but I enjoyed the book for what it is, a well written regency.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Rosario said...

Hey, thanks! :-D

Of the books you review today, I've read only The Prince of Ice, and I'd agree with you about it. Though, what did you think of the ending?

And I'm glad to see you liked the Hunter. I'm planning to read it soon.

9:10 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Rosario, I only speak the truth your reviews are awesome!

As for the ending of Prince of Ice...it's a set up for the next book. Anything can happen...menage even?

10:27 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I struggle over my reviews. I know I don't always say what I mean to. LOL

Anyway, I'm going to buy Prince of Ice now. :P And I'm kind of flirting with the thought for MH's book. I've read two and thought they were sooo boring.

Have fun in Vegas!!

12:05 PM PST  
Blogger Marg said...

I am about to pick Santa, Baby up from the library! Looking forward to it!

2:45 PM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I have Santa Baby on my wishlist at the library. I'm patiently waiting for it to come in.

I want to read the Emma Holly books ~ I'll have to go hunt them down because our library doesn't have them.

7:15 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, reviews love to read 'em not so much love writing them. Can't wait to see what you think of PRINCE OF ICE.

Marg, Crusie is always enjoyable and her wit is present here even if the plot is a bit far fetched.

Devonna, hopefully you should be able to get Holly books in a UBS. BTW, did you get the three Lucy Monroe books? I'm going to UBS this week and will be turning them in. Let me know if you didn't win your bid online.

10:52 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

Rosie ~ I did win the auction, but haven't gotten them yet. Thanks again for offering to send them to me ~ I would have definitely taken you up on the offer if I hadn't already made a bid on them.

1:58 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home