A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

What. Ever!

I was in a "mood" yesterday. I can't even blame it on PMS. Menopause maybe, but not PMS.

Anyway, everything was bugging me because I had these chores and tasks to do instead of being able to read when I had the house mostly to myself. Which translates to blissful silence without any interruptions and my favorite environment for reading, especially something as engrossing as DEMON ANGEL.

During one of the brief periods I had company my son Beanie was home between his college classes. In the process of a conversation that became increasingly heated he told me he wasn't going to talk to me again until "whatever evil Irish leprechaun crawled up my ass leaves". Yes, my son spoke to me like that. Unbelievable, I know. Of course, he looked as surprised by what he said as I was to hear it.

Was it wrong to remind him that I was glad he let me know the leprechaun was Irish as opposed to say German or French? I wonder what color the suit for the French leprechaun is? Besides, it wasn't nice to insult the Irish that way was it?

That wasn't all I said either. He apologized.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my. Will you forgive me if I say I can't stop laughing over that?

I'm terribly sorry you're not able to read and have so many interruptions. I felt just like that when I posted up about Demon Moon. Very frustrating.

But goodness, An Irish Leprechaun? Hmm, are there any other kinds? Now that's something to ponder.

And I would think a French Leprechaun would were a blue suit.

11:17 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, that was me, Holly. Forgot I was signed in with the wrong account. *sigh*

11:18 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, actually by the time he apologized we were both laughing too. My kids are always shocked when I snap or yell without any apparent reason. He didn't know why I was in such a shitty mood.

I adored my mom and never would have spoken to her like that. OTOH, I'm glad to have a more open and honest relationship with my boys. Having open dialogue with them and have them still respect our authority is a real PITA sometimes.

11:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I've always had a very open relationship with my mom, and now that I'm an adult I don't hold my tongue very often, but when I was younger? Boy was I terrified of her wrath.

Still, I hope I can find just the right balance with my kids as they grow. I want to have an open relationship with them, but achieving a healthy amount of respect to go along with it might challenge me.

12:07 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

LOL - it was at least a very imaginative thing for him to say.

5:34 AM PDT  
Blogger scooper said...

Those moods are killer. Later you feel silly for letting something small set you off. I think I'd have lost it if my kid said that to me, but I must admit I'd prob. laugh about it later.

6:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

LOL - he sounds like a nice kid and you have a great sense of humor!!

10:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Believe me, I married into a HUGE Irish family - those little leprechaun's can be shifty little bastards! He was totally right to call out the Irish on that one. LOL! ;P

A French Leprechaun would wear something with lace and would never do something like crawl up someone's ass! They wouldn't need to. One look at that snobby little leprechaun would be quite enough to piss you off. HA!

2:13 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, you sound like you are doing great with your kids. I don't know if mine have ever been truly scared of me even when I really angry.

Kristie, imaginative alright. I dropped my jaw. I'm glad he apologized though.

scooper he was so surprised when he said it and it wasn't in an obnoxious tone. I guess that's why we laughed. Of course I was still in my mood...

Sam, I want an open and honest relationship with them, but we are still their parents so we want them to respect us too. But yes, we laugh. My mom always said you can't raise kids without a sense of humor. Well, I guess you can, but then someone might end up in chains and orange coveralls.

Jodi, we are a big loud Italian family. Thanks for the 4-1-1 on the French leprechauns. That clears that up. ; )

4:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm with Kristie - at least it was imaginative, which means you raised yourself a smart kid. He could have just whipped out the ol' B-word.

But yeah, if my kid said that me I think my head would be spinning like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.

8:36 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home