A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm Busy Damn It!

No really, I have lots of stuff to do. Remember me mentioning how I have lists? Well, I started the week gangbusters but somewhere around Wednesday I lost steam. I'm not going to say this never happens to me because January 2007 was an all time "just doing the basics" period for me. Stuff happens.

This week I just have my average To Do list and I'm ignoring it and pretending I don't have to do those things. One of the items on the list is to finish an application for an administrative job with our local fire department. Yes, I'm looking for work again.

Lucky me my temp job was over in early December and I've been slowly looking for a "real" job again. Fortunately, I have the luxury of taking my time because except for the two months in the Fall working the temp job I've been unemployed since last June.

I've really enjoyed living life at a slower pace. I've never had a problem being home either. I was a stay-at-home Mom when my boys were very young. When I did return to work they were in junior high and high school. Even then, I went back part time at first so I was home when they were home.

Recently, I've been reading about so many of you having killer work weeks of 50 and 60 hours. Ugh! That takes me right back to where I was when I left my last job. I was putting in those kind of hours for six months and I was fried to a crisp by the time I left. Good job, good money, great boss, but too demanding for me to have a life outside of work. I kept hoping the hours would improve as time went on. I worked at that place for almost four years and if you can't figure out in that time what will and what won't change, then you are in real trouble.

Anyway, I'm feeling good right now. The rheumatoid arthritis seems to be in some sort of remission, my boys are older and needing me less. (Which as my mother used to say translates to "so I can worry more") So here I am. Looking for a good paying job, with good benefits and a benign work environment. No high stress and demanding stuff for me. Quiet, peace...that's what I'm looking for.

However, it's pretty interesting to see where my ambition is when I have been sitting on the application for the fire department for three days. The window for accepting applications closes next Tuesday at 5 p.m., so I have time. Right? I'm not really procrastinating yet am I? Doesn't it have to be something like Tuesday at noon with an incomplete application for it to be officially called procrastination?

Of course, I do have an interview for an admin job at our local junior college on April 30th. Maybe that's why I'm not hurrying up to apply for this other job. Nah...that's not it. Maybe the fact that the application is four freakin' pages and has to be done by hand. That might have something to do with it. (Who doesn't have their applications on line? Really!)

This morning I vowed to tackle the application first thing. No cleaning the kitchen first, blog hopping, leaving to do errands, reading, laundry...nope. Just do the application. So what have I done so far this morning? Made coffee, blog hopped, two loads of laundry, conversation with Beanie Boy about his job hunting and telephone conversation with GG.

This blog post wasn't on the list either. Guess I better finish it so I can continue NOT completing the application and go fix myself something to eat instead.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

I'm sorry to tell you this, Rosie, but you are procastinating... but don't worry, you are NOT the only one :D Wish you luck for the job :) Seriously, if I could stay home, I probably would... but alas, I am way too young ^^;

6:06 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, believe it or not I got that long application completed and turned in today. Of course, Beanie Boy helped by delivering it to the fire dept for me lat this afternoon.

So check that off the list.

6:27 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I would have had it done on Tuesday at 4:30 and then I would be a bundle of nerves when it comes to interviews but then that's why I don't work ;) Can't get past the gate - I'm one of those people who would have to get the job because someone knows me. I was a good worker and can hold my own but it's the whole 'anxiety' stuff I can't seem to deal with in just getting the job. Silly really considering I used to interview when I was younger and used to get jobs. Stupid anxiety.

Mucho luck on finding job that will be more joy than a pain in the arse!
CindyS

3:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy I'm pretty fatalistic about jobs. You end up where you are supposed to be. Also, I've never NOT gotten a job when I needed to. I've been very fortunate.

5:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

I would kill to be a SAH mom! I am freakishly jealous of anybody who can do it on and off or even all the time! Unfortunately, my hubby's life as a huge rock star didn't pan out (snicker), so he's sticking with the "teacher" day job LOL! That leaves me with a So Cal mortgage married to a teacher. ummm... yup, I work LOL! damn it!

Good luck with the job hunt, Rosie! Sounds like you have a couple good ones lined up. Is the Fire Dept thing a dispatch type job? Or would you get to work in a firehouse with all the hotties?

10:41 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, yes the district office is right next to (same building) as the largest and most central fire station. So I will see some of the hotties if I get the job.

The job is a straight up secretarial position. Even Fire Battalian Chiefs need help staying organized. Good money and benefits and hopefully the right work environment. I don't want any 50-60 hour weeks any more.

12:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Aunt Rosie, tst, tst, tst. I know what you mean. I always get side tracked or distracted from my lists as well. Every schedule I ever make is usually discarded. Think it's genetic?

10:21 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home