A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Menage by Emma Holly





















Menage by Emma Holly (Excerpt)



I already have a couple of Ms. Holly's Black Lace titles and liked them alot. I've previously read VELVET GLOVE and IN THE FLESH. In fact, VELVET GLOVE was the first of her books I read and enjoyed and was a gift from GG, but I digress.


I purchased Menage on my own cheesecake/sugar high with a certain "super" reader egging me on. (A side note: Did you know that librarians compulsively straighten and turn books out and reshelve books in a book store? They do!) Okay, I admit it, she didn't egg me on, she merely pointed to it and commented it had recently been newly released. I snatched it off the shelf all by myself.

Now I'm not someone who automatically picks up and buys every book with a menage in it. Nor do I buy every book with an erotic romance label. Which is hard to believe since I read this one hard on the heels of FORBIDDEN PLEASURE by Lora Leigh and my recent raves about Megan Hart's books. In any case, I bought it because Emma Holly is a proven good read for me and I like to think I'm pretty discerning about my erotic romance.

I decided to do a review and make a commentary about this particular book because I think Ms. Holly did such a great job of realistically presenting the prurient interest and fantasy part of a menage along with the difficult and emotionally messy part of being involved in a relationship where there are three people. Haven't you ever been reading a book and thought where's the doubt, the worry, the emotional insecurity? People, as a rule, just aren't that well adjusted. We all bring our sack of rocks to whatever we do...especially relationships. Ms. Holly addresses those questions and the characters' motives in MENAGE.

Kate is a woman firmly established in a career and business that she loves and is sharing her flat with two younger men. Both of the young men are just finishing advanced degrees and starting their careers. As the story and the relationship begin Kate arrives home one day to find her two attractive flatmates engaged in sexual shenanigans in her bedroom. It seems that Joe has some interest and hot fantasys where Kate is concerned. Sean, just wants to keep Joe happy and maybe help himself by helping Joe.

Reading this book so soon after reading FORBIDDEN PLEASURE just emphasized the difference between a book that is more pure fantasy (FP) than reality (Menage). Certainly when it comes to the real issues of possessiveness, love, jealousy, anguish and acceptance that has to be a part of any threesome, Ms. Holly is head and shoulders above any other book I've read on the subject.

The sex is hot, the dynamics of the trio interesting and thought provoking. Seriously. Completely original (to me) in her take on a menage relationship and the happily ever after, I really enjoyed this book.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I've heard really good things about this author, I'll have to get one of her books.
I can't believe I haven't read her yet! Well, something to look forward to!

1:41 AM PDT  
Blogger scooper said...

I've read menage books and for an erotic read I'm all over it. When it comes to my personal preference to romance, I prefer two person stories. Another can be involved for a little bit, but in the end I want a couple.

7:54 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Straightening books is a compulsion. We librarians like things "tidy."

I haven't read Menage yet, but I know several readers who consider it their favorite among Emma Holly's erotica work. My favorite (so far) has been Cooking Up A Storm - also getting the reprint treatment from Black Lace....

10:05 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosario said...

I'm not much of a ménages reader, but I did like this one (and the other Emma Holly with this element, Strange Attractions).

11:58 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam, it looks like your every day average erotic menage book...but it isn't!

Scoop, I don't want to give it away, but this won't disappoint you.

Wendy, you are the devil in a Super Librarian cape always luring me to buy more books! As you know I'm a EH fan and after reading this one I'd pretty much determined to buy the other re-releases of her Black Lace books.

Rosario, I was so happy to see her deal with real life problems and issues people who chose an alternative life style would face.

1:11 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I enjoyed this book as well.

AND I just started reading Forbidden Pleasure. I'm taking it on my trip. But it's in my suitcase, cuz I don't want the airport people to think I'm too freaky. LOL

8:35 AM PDT  
Blogger ReneeW said...

I have that same compulsion but then I always wanted to be a librarian when I grew up. I originally bought this one because I was curious about the menage aspect and wondered how Holly could make this work. I ended up greatly enjoying the book and it sits on my keeper shelf. I was rather shocked at myself.

11:31 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, you'll be able to discuss the differences with the gang! Have fun and tell all!!

Renee, it was just so cute to be standing next to Wendy while we were browsing and she just fixed books as she moved down the row and browsed without skipping a beat. Damn! I should have taken a picture.

As for Menage, I was very pleasantly surprised at the way Ms. Holly handled it. It was just very well done.

12:13 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home