A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Books, UBS, & Other Stuff

Books. The reason I decided to start this blog in the first place. Books. Although you wouldn't know it as I get so caught up in my own life and meanderings sometimes.

Anyway, as many of you know, I recently found a new UBS thanks to Wendy. Halleluia, virgin book territory to explore! I found some great books there, and then a couple of days ago on the way to an appointment I found that the "other" UBS in my area has new management and decided to check it out. It's still a little dark and dank, but the organization of books has improved and she has a huge back inventory of older historicals. Particularly Harlequin Historicals. Since I've been on a western binge lately that was absolutely sterling news. ::batting lashes:: Long story short, between two trips to the UBS and new purchases I've gotten quite a haul of books lately. For instance...


FROM WENDY'S UBS
Cheryl St. John
JOE'S WIFE (which I've already read and really liked)
SAINT OR SINNER

Cheryl Reavis
THE BRIDE FAIR
THE FORBIDDEN BRIDE (Already read this one too)

Candice Proctor (SCORE!)
WHISPERS OF HEAVEN (Kristie isn't this your fave Proctor? Or was it Cindy?)
BEYOND SUNRISE

Terri Brisbin (Tara Marie review interested me in these)
THE EARL'S SECRET
THE NORMAN'S BRIDE
THE COUNTESS BRIDE

Mary Burton
THE UNEXPECTED WIFE (Read on the beach in Georgia)

Jenna Kernan
WINTER WOMAN

Ruth Wind
IN THE MIDNIGHT RAIN


FROM MY NEW UBS
Cheryl St. John (damn you Wendy...I'm hooked on her books!)
DOCTOR'S WIFE (Hooray! Finally, I've been looking for awhile now)
THE GUNSLINGER'S BRIDE (Montana Mavericks)

Cheryl Reavis
HARRIGAN'S BRIDE (Already read this one. Civil War story. Pretty good.)

Mary Burton
THE PERFECT WIFE

S.L. Viehl
STAR DOC

Barbara Samuel
LUCIEN'S FALL

Linnea Sinclair
GABRIEL'S GHOST

Candace Camp
SO WILD A HEART

Linda Castillo
DEAD RECKONING


NEW BOOKS PURCHASED
Lara Adrian
KISS OF MIDNIGHT
KISS OF CRIMSON
I've read both of these already while on vacation in Georgia. They were good. I agree with comments I've seen else where that there is a similarity to J.R. Wards' series, but no name dropping and no M/M innuendo. I liked 'em.

Meljean Brook
DEMON MOONThis is an amazing book. MB writes so smart! You can go to this post on her blog for a list of places that have already done reviews. I was going to review this book, but Janet at Dear Author put my thoughts to words more eloquently than I ever could. If you only have a minute, read the first paragraph of her review, she sums up the reading experience of DEMON MOON perfectly.

Cheryl St. John
PREACHER'S DAUGHTER

Eloisa James
DESPERATE DUCHESSES

Jacquelyn Frank
GIDEON

Linnea Sinclair
GAMES OF COMMAND

Kelley Armstrong
BITTEN

Reading this over it is obvious I have a serious addiction. I soothe myself by remembering how fast I read. I have to keep myself supplied with a wide variety of things to read don't I? Who needs food when you have books?

Okay so this is a long ass post, but it clears stuff off my to-do list and here at NOBODY ASKED ME...we're all about crossing off the to-do list. Speaking of lists, one last thing -- isn't Romantic Advances the coolest? Sure helps with ye olde book shopping list doesn't it? If you haven't been by, go check it out.



If you were wondering that is 29 books in all. I've already read 7 of them.
Adrian 2
Brisbin 3
Burton 2
Proctor 2
Reavis 3
Sinclair 2
St John 5
Wind/Samuels 2
Armstrong, Brook, Camp, Castillo, James, Frank, Kernan, and Viehl with 1 each

Labels: , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Tara Marie said...

Now, that's a haul. :D

You've got some really good reading in there.

4:43 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Rosie, for one moment, I was so hopeful that someone had me beaten! Someone bought more books than me! It was close though :P I think I about 32 ^^; It's a very nice haul and the great thing is that you could find so many of them at the UBS! I really envy you :P and Happy reading!

4:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

TM, the problem with having so many books to read is where to start.

Nath, 32? I feel better already.

Zeek, that's funny! I can only take the books stacked around me or on the floor for a couple of days at most and have to get them put away or logged or whatever. But if I had a room where I could shut them away and close the door...who knows what pandemonium might reign? What I really want to know is who came to shop?

9:27 AM PDT  
Blogger ReneeW said...

Wow, that quite a haul and some great books there. I have read and enjoyed lots of these and some I want very badly:
Joe's Wife (keeper -loved it)
The Bride Fair (good)
The Forbidden Bride (good)
Whispers of Heaven (keeper !)
Beyond Sunrise (very good)
The Unexpected Wife (good)
Winter Woman (still in TBR)
In the Midnight Rain (keeper!)
Doctor's Wife (very good)
The Perfect Wife (I need this)
Gabriel's Ghost (I need this - badly)
Demon Moon (I need this)
Preacher's Daughter (I need this)
Games of Command (keeper)
Bitten (very good)

9:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, the reason I have so many books is because of reader recs. I might have some of these from reading reviews or posts of yours. The one thing I rarely do is remember or write down where I got rec.

9:41 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Wow! You have some Most Excellent Books there!
And yep - it was prolly me going on about Whispers of Heaven. What did you think of it? I adore it! And Beyond Sunrise is good too. Let's see - which ones of your haul are keepers for me
Whispers of Heaven
Beyond Sunrise
Joe's Wife
In The Midnight Rain
Gabriel's Ghost
I just finished The Preacher's Daughter and quite enjoyed it. At one time I did have The Doctor's Wife (which you should read before The Preacher's Daughter) but I'm not sure if I still have it or not. I shall have to check the 'library'.

4:23 PM PDT  
Blogger sybil said...

LOL I have no idea the most books I have left a usb with.... uh prolly around 40. A library sale... over a 100.

::blink::

Do I need help or an award?

10:09 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Ooooo...So Wild A Heart by Candace Camp is in my Top 10 fave of all time!! I can't wait to see what you think.

7:06 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Niiiiiice. If book buying is wrong I don't want to be right ;)

I read Night in Eden by Proctor and loved it. I have been buying her backlist because I'm sure most of her books will be keepers for me.

Does Cheryl St. John getting any more sizzle in her books? I read His Secondhand Wife which I enjoyed but I do like more sex.

The Lara Adrian books - are they hot?

Okay, you're thinking I got sex on the brain but - aw, screw it. Ugh!

CindyS

3:20 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Good haul there Rosie! I think it's safe to say, many of us have the same addiction. LOL

7:26 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LUCIEN'S FALL!!!!! Hot diggity dog, do I love that book!

Have you tried Megan Chance's western Fall From Grace? GREAT read.

5:32 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, I haven't read WHISPERS OF HEAVEN yet, but I now have so many books in so many genres I don't know what to chose first. I mostly select just based on my mood.

Sybil, well sometimes it is good (no, it's great!) to know I'm not the only one. Especially when I'm standing in a UBS with an armful of books trying to decide which ones to buy.

Jodi, Candace Camp used to be an auto buy for me and then her books just sort of all got to be the same. I didn't remember this one and decided to give it a try.

Cindy, Cheryl St. John does have a little more sizzle in some of her books. I read the GUNSLINGER'S BRIDE over the weekend and it had a bit more heat, but not much. I don't think she gets much hotter than that. I've read about 4 or 5 of her books now and the heat level is about the same.

The Adrian books are hot. Not erotic hot, but definitely a steamy romance.

Ames, yes Ames, it's an addiction and they say the first step is admitting you have a problem, but we don't think of it as a problem...do we?

Gabrielle, I've had LUCIEN'S FALL on my TBB list forever it seems like. I don't think I've ever read Megan Chance, but I'll put her on the list now. I've got room now. ::wink::

6:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Well - I don't know if you have it - or if you've read it or not - but One Summer by Karen Robards is a most excellent read

(and thus it begins again - Bwwwaaaahhhhhaaaaaa)

5:31 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Steamy is always good! I'll have to put Adrian on the list.

CindyS

1:23 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, I DO have that Karen Robards book and loved it too!

Cindy, I think you'll like the series. I think Ward is better with creating more suspense and tension, but still Adrian's books were good reads for me.

9:40 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home