A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nosy Nora and the Blog Roll

Every time I've been away for more than a day or two from my blog I go through a laborious process of actually going to each site on my blog roll and catching up on any posts I might have missed in my absence. When I'm home and keeping up with things I just click my Kinja and I can see the most recent posts and just go to those. That, however, is a fruitless endeavor when I've been away because virtually every one of my favorites has posted (usually) something in my absence.

I only call it laborious because I simply must visit each and every web page on my Favorites. I refuse to miss or skip any blog that's on my list. I'm just too...let's call it curious? Yeah, that's it, I'm "curious" to see what everyone's been doing, reviewing and reading. I'm not being nosy...huh uh, not me. My brother has a name for this affliction. He calls it "FOMO" (pronounced with long 'o'). Fear of missing out. I got me a bad case of FOMO.

Anyway, when I've been away for several days it takes several more days to catch up with everything and everyone. Don't think for a moment that all the sites I visit are linked on my blog. Oh my goodness no...I have others, several others that I like to visit that I just haven't taken the time to add to my page. And I can't just read the most current post, not me. I have to go read all the posts I've missed. It's sad really. Haven't you noticed you sometimes get several comments in a row from me on a single day within minutes of each other? Well, that my friends is a catch up day.

Which brings me to my current conundrum. You see, while I AM a list maker I have been known to procrastinate a time or two or three. Right now I'm thinking of putting Kinja behind me and going with Google Reader. The only thing stopping me is my own laziness and fear. I'm comfortable with my own little routine and dragging my feet about changing. Both Wendy and Nikki have done posts recently talking about how great Google Reader is and time saving. You'd think the whole time saving thing would be incentive enough. But I got rocks in my pockets, I tell you and just can't make the leap for fear of drowning.

I've also pretty much had it with Blogger. Although, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, just lately everything has been operating pretty nifty keen. But I'm thinking about Word Press or Live Journal. What do you think?

What about your blog roll? Do you keep up or binge? Do you have a routine? Do you play catch up when you've been gone for a while? Will I ever get with it and move my blog roll to Google Reader? How hard is it to move to Word Press? ::knock:: ::knock:: Anybody out there?

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

I use Bloglines to keep up with everyone, but if I don't read all my feeds I feel as though I am probably missing out as well!!

As to changing over, fingers crossed, everything seems to be working okay with Blogger at the moment, so I will be staying here.....too lazy to start again! LOL!!

4:04 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I've been tempted to buy my own domain name and move to WordPress - but dang that seems like a lot of work and I've been on Blogger for 4 years now. And outside of some minor glitches I've been happy with Blogger.

I love me Google Reader! I currently have 78(!) subscriptions and it's so easy to keep up - especially with blogs I only checked periodically before.

8:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I love Google Reader. I'm a complete convert and I'd highly recommend switching. It's extremely easy to use and for people like us - I, too, feel the need to read EVERY post by ALL the bloggers I visit - it's a great tool. Add one subscription and see if you like it. You already have a google account, right (I assume since you need it for blogger, no?)? Just copy/paste the URL and watch what it can do. It's amazing.

As for switching, I've considered it myself several times, but I'm too lazy to learn another system. For all of blogger's faults - and there are many - I'm familiar with it and don't want to go through all the trouble of learning something else. But I wish you luck either way! ;)

10:07 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Yep, ditto, ditto, ditto.

My problem is that I can't get all the way through my list of blogs so one day I start at the top of the list and then the next I'm supposed to start at the bottom. Then there are days when drama breaks out all over blogland and being the nosy nora I am I follow the leads until I have been on the computer for my allotted time and I haven't visited any of my regular haunts!

I tell ya what, I'll try Google for ya. I tried bloglines and was confused within minutes and never logged in again. I can open up a google and see if it's easier to navigate.

I was the same way with wordpress - I have a wordpress somewhere but I didn't find it as user (stupid) friendly as blogger.

CindyS

8:42 PM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for reading my blog posts. I've been so busy lately with the move and all. I do use google reader and like it a lot. I have thought about switching from blogger but haven't done it yet. Just too busy I guess. I'm moving on the 30th and have a ton to do yet.

Take care!
Sue

5:58 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks for all the input everybody. I think I'm going to give Google Reader a shot. Yeah, I know I've said that before. Cindy, you try it too and we can commiserate and compare notes.

As for Word Press? Who knows what the future holds. One thing for sure, it won't be a secret!

7:24 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hey Rosie, I just started using Google Reader. My problem is, I'm reading everyone's posts, but not commenting. :( Plus, I was busy for two straight weeks a week ago, and I'm still trying to catch up. LOL

8:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

I love Google Reader as well. It's fantastic. As for WordPress, I do have a blog over there that I manage for my hubby's band. There are certain things you can do there that you can't do on Blogger, but for the most part, I find it a big PITA. Although I know plenty of people who swear by it. And it's much better than Blogger if you're looking to set up an entire web site.

11:32 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh yeah, what Ames said. I find myself reading all of my favorite blogs, but not commenting. *sigh* Hopefully you'll be better at it than me. :P

1:26 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, Lori and Holly, I'm up and running on GR now. I'm not having a problem commenting. Is it just because you are behind or have you had problems navigating back and forth from the site back to GR?

12:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

No, it's just because I subscribe to so many blogs that I read them all with the intention of going back later to comment. But then..uh, I forget to go comment. So many times you'll see a comment from me saying "I swore I commented on this" because I THOUGHT of a great comment, but didn't actually post it.

It's laziness, pure and simple. If I don't comment right away, I forget to comment at all.

2:08 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home