A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

OBSESSION

Every time I read about a character, male or female, obsessing over their partner, their job, or their life I'm one of the people reading who can completely relate to the subject.

Many times I've tried to figure out what triggers my obsessing over something. I never figure it out because it's quirky and if spent too much time thinking about it I might actually end up obsessing about why I obsess. Oy!

My focus can be over something as silly as how the plastic storage containers are put away, or how towels are folded, to big stuff like a project I'm working on right now. When this happens, I can't stop thinking, planning, cataloging, strategizing or sometimes even researching about the obsession.

For three days I've been oblivious to everything else but this new project I've been assigned. I can't even tell you, without looking like I'm crazy, how many hours I've put into it the last three days. Poor GG has been very neglected this week.

Shmoo broke his right hand (don't ask 'cuz it's sooooo dumb) and I had to really focus my attention the last few days to get him to the doctor, x-rayed, and his hand splinted. I'm a horrible Mother. Thank God Shmoo didn't seem to notice. The wonders of the self-absorbed teenager who doesn't notice his Mother isn't doting on him and his injury.

As you can see I'm all over the map with this one. I can't concentrate enough on my writing to have cohesive or coherent thoughts. Or at least that's what it feels like. My brain is already thinking about the next part of the presentation and most definitely NOT on what I'm writing.

Just so you know, I'll be involved in this project until February 1st. That's the only warning I'm issuing for my distracted and disjointed thoughts and ponderings. One might wonder why I bothered to write this at all. I'm pretty sure I had a reason when I started it. Really. I did.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

You're in good company :-) Right now, I'm researching all things Savannah ~ and I'm not going there for 3 more months! It's distracting my reading big time.

7:02 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, so that's why you haven't been blogging all that much lately :) Well keep obsessing over your project that way, you'll be over with it soon and will be back faster :D

8:08 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

I call it "fretting." I think a lot of women do it. I think it's linked to estrogen somehow.

I'm currently trying to ignore the latest Blog Land Train Wreck (I'm like Switzerland over here), itching to reorganize the TBR and trying to convince myself that I really should be reading instead of putzing online.

6:52 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Damn Wendy, a train wreck again? Which way ? ;) I'm a gawker of the worst sort. Bad Cindy.

Rosie - my obsessions can get scary. I was obsessed with Rescue Me and I had three seasons to watch. I was so careful and doled them out about 3 episodes at a time or I would have sat there and watched them all back to back. Makes me wonder about my mental health sometimes ;)

Shmoo has had quite a year! I hope his hand isn't terribly painful.

And I wish I was half as organized as you. My desk top would give you hives.

CindyS

8:41 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doors. I obsess over doors.

I leave the house and I'm convinced I left a door open...or I didn't lock it..or... something. Usually having to do with a door. Did I let to the dog out (thru the door) Did I (open the door to) let her back in...

Always doors.

Unless I'm on a website kick and redoing my website.

Then I obsess over that.

Wouldn't worry me so much except I see my oldest one picking up on it. And I really don't want her picking up my paranoias...

9:21 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh lordy Shiloh - I do the exact same thing with the stove and my curling iron. Every morning, before I leave for work, I need to triple-check to make sure I didn't leave either on for fear I'm going to burn down my apartment building.

11:29 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is it wrong of me to feel happy others have my same paranoias? I so hate to think I'm the only one.

:-D

1:40 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home