A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, January 14, 2008

So...did you watch?

Okay, what did you watch last night? McMurtrys' cowboys? An Extreme Makeover?

Or, were you like me and watched the first installment of The Complete Jane Austen, Persuasion on Masterpiece Classics? What did you think? I quite liked Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. Sally Hawkins was also good as Anne Elliot. They were both a lot less repressed than when
Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds played the parts in the 1995 version. Although I've watched the 1995 version a few times and liked it quite a bit too. Sophie Thompson as Mary Musgrove in the 1995 version was stellar the whiney, hypochondriac sister of Anne. I just found out today reading her bio that she's Emma Thompson's younger sister.

BTW, did you see Giles (actor Anthony Head) from Buffy as Anne Elliot's insufferable father? Wasn't he good? Hard to believe his U.S. career started with coffee commercials isn't it? Take a look if you dare.






Next week is Northanger Abbey which I am not familiar with at all. I'm sort of excited to see it for the first time. I've never seen an adaptation or read the book. So I'm very curious about it.


Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah McCarty said...

Morning Rosie. I watched cowboys, what else? *G*

3:52 AM PST  
Blogger sula said...

making the blog rounds...good morning! :) I saw the first half hour but got sleepy and went to bed. Will watch the rest tonite. From what I saw though, I quite fancy this blonde Captain Wentworth. *g*

I read Northanger Abbey back in my Peace Corps days and remember it being a pretty short and less complex book. boy meets girl, big mis, some gothic atmosphere thrown in, then an HEA. But I think that should translate nicely to the screen so I'm looking forward to it.

5:06 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sarah, How was it? It got mixed reviews here.

Zeek, "you owe me a coke!" Yep, I posted late last night and checked out a few posts on my google reader and was floored how similar they were.

Sula, yes Captain Wentworth was very good I think. You'll enjoy it and it goes by very quickly.

If I was more disciplined and motivated this week I'd go get Northanger Abbey and read it before next Sunday.

6:39 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I read last night. LOL

But I dvr'd Comanche Moon and Persuasion. I love my dvr. :P

7:36 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

I dvr'd Commanche Moon but didn't know I could also tape Persuasion! What a mope. I did tape Terminator the Connor chronicles or some such. Since I'm a sci-fi geek that would have probably won out ;)

CindyS

2:36 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, we should probably have dvr'd the Comanche Moon mini-series because GG loves westerns.

Cindy, I completely forgot about the Terminator show until a few other people mentioned it. Now I'll wait to see what other people thought before I tune in.

4:49 PM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I watched Persuasion. I wanted to record Comanche Moon to watch later, but unfortunately my DVR can only record 2 programs at once (Brothers and Sisters was on). Ah well. I'm hoping they'll show it again this summer.

10:07 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, did you like the new Captain Wentworth? I thought it was pretty well done. I'm counting on Comanche Moon either repeating or being available on DVD later. GG really wants to see it.

3:37 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home