A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, January 11, 2008

It's a Conspiracy

For years I've had friends and family tell me that they can't read, especially at night, because they fall asleep. While I have been known to drift off to never-never land a time or two myself after a busy day the act of reading itself hasn't put me to sleep.

After the busy holidays which happened to coincide with a busy time at work I have to say I was happy to put away Christmas decorations, get back to my regular work week and get my reading groove on.

Well, that lasted a week. One. Week.

As of this week I'm on a three-quarter schedule which really translates to I'm scheduled to work 30 hours but actually work 40 hours. A year and a half ago I was working 50 hour weeks as a matter of course. This week I feel like a kindergartner. You know how the kids are always so tired that first week of school? There's just so much new and exciting stuff to see, do and learn. My boys would fall asleep at the dinner table they were so worn out.

Apparently after a year and a half of either not working at all or only working part-time I'm apparently out of practice. Working full time this past couple of weeks has worn me out. Sheesh!! Every time I pick up something to read I'm falling asleep. It's enough to give a girl the reading blues. And who needs that when I have a great book I'm reading right now, THE SPYMASTER'S LADY by Joanna Bourne. I'm only 104 (out of 374) pages into it, but I'm really enjoying the book.

Man, I hate giving up the hours to sleep. Now that I know sleep is such an important component to good health I really try to get a decent night's rest. But it's hard not to think about what great stuff one could do with all that extra time!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I'm reading this one too although I'm further along. Very Good isn't it? I'm thinking it will be my first 5 of the year and it's only the 11th. Good sign of good things to come.

3:52 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Hey there Rosie, I think it's totally normal. Even for me... I've just had a break of a week for x-mas, but when I came back and work... ugh... so tired at the end.

4:44 AM PST  
Blogger Casee said...

Isn't that funny? I was off almost two weeks during Christmas and New Years. I was almost glad to have the holidays over and get back to normal. Doesn't quite work like that, does it? LOL. I've been late to work every day. I come home like I've run to work and back (20 miles each way) and in between I have worked 12 hours.

I hope you get back to feeling more "normal" soon. :)

7:29 AM PST  
Blogger Sam said...

I've been falling asleep while reading too! Never happened before!
My husband dared say it was my age!
LOL

4:51 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, It is very good and I'm really anxious to read it. I'm thinking of having a lazy Saturday and spending it reading.

Nath, I hope you are right because I would hate for this to become a trend. Evenings are my main reading time!

Casee, misery loves company because it tickles me to know I'm not the only one.

Sam, your age!! Did you at least bop him with a pillow or something? Why do our husband's delight in reminding us we are getting older? So are they!

8:51 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home