A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stole this...

This was posted on WEB PETALS Marjorie M. Liu's blog early this morning:

I found a gold mine of a website - the Academy of Achievement - which has fantastic interviews with a host of incredible people, from Rosa Parks to Benazir Bhutto, Olivia de Havilland to Richard Leakey.

Here's a 1996 interview with Elie Wiesel:

I read a lot. I teach my students, not creative writing, but creative reading and it is still from my childhood. You take a text, you explore it, you enter it with all your heart and all your mind. And then you find clues that were left for you, really foredestined to be received by you from centuries ago. Generation after generation there were people who left clues, and you are there to collect them and, at one point, you understand something that you hadn't understood before. That is a reward, and as a teacher I do the same thing. When I realize there is a student there, in the corner, who understands, there is a flicker in the eye. That is the greatest reward that a teacher can receive.

That quote just rocks my boat.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

That is a great quote...and as a teacher, Jeff would thoroughly agree.

1:04 PM PST  
Blogger Sam said...

great links - thank you!

12:49 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky, I think any person who values words, books and teaching would find that quote apropos.

Sam, awww...we really owe the thanks to Marjorie Liu. She's got the most interesting stuff on her blog.

5:52 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home