A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The News


I'm being lazy about the comments for yesterday's post about the fitness test and decided to give you the scoop here instead.

Thankfully I got mostly good news starting with the overall assessment being "it's better to be overweight and fit than skinny and unfit." So, I'm on the overweight and fit side of the room. Huzzah! Although that sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me. But whatever. A good grade is a good grade I always say. A bit pathetic, but ya takes 'em where ya kin git 'em.

I know you aren't going to believe this but I've never had a treadmill test before. I did fabulously well. No, really I did. I didn't get past 5 on a scale of 1-10 for degree of strenuous exercise. I did great on the incline. So, I was a pretty happy camper. I recovered rather quickly too. Of course, it was only 5-6 minutes on the treadmill never getting past a brisk walk (3.2 miles per hour) so that was pretty easy.

I have way toooooooooo muuuuuuuuuch fat in my body. So much so that I'm too embarassed to share the number with you. However, my cholesterol was good. Blood pressure good. Heart rate excellent. Heart risk for my age and gender is considered excellent if you are at 5% risk or less for heart disease. I was at 4%. Yeah me! Good heart health.

Now the not so good news. My blood work showed an elevated liver enzyme. Got to follow up on that. And, both my blood tests (work and rheumatologist) were done in the same week and show a high score for my thyroid. I saw my rheumatologist on Tuesday and he's already prescribed synthroid. *sigh* Another damn pill to take.

I keep reminding myself how fortunate I am to live in a period of time where there is treatment for these things and a pill is a small price to pay...a very small price. But it still sucks when you look at the palm of your hand twice a day and see 6 pills, not counting my vitamins, that I have to swallow. Did I mention I have to do this twice a day. Every day? Oh well. I'm going to be strong, stalwart and courageous like one of the fabulously tough but compassionate heroines in the books we read. Think? Yeah, tongue firmly in cheek right there.

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. They helped. They really did. Hey Dev. Our Fire Chief took cuts in line so I was actually on the treadmill at around 11:40 to 11:45 a.m. It just might have been your prayer that did the trick. ;-)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

This is good news :) At least, you seem to be doing good :)

okay, this is meant to encourage you, but I don't know if it will... once you have to swallow more than 3 pills, what difference does it make one more or one less... esp. if it's for your health?

6:12 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

Well, I guess it was just meant to be that I was supposed to stumble onto your blogpost at that time :-) Glad you got pretty much all good news. Be sure to let us know about the liver enzyme follow-up!

6:47 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Great news!! And like Dev said - let us know about the liver enzymes.

12:17 PM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I'm glad you're in good health!! :P Keep us up to date on the other stuff.

Our new HR guy is a boxer - so he's going to start a work out in our office. I think I'll take advantage of that, because diabetes runs in my family, and my grandmother takes a whole wackload of pills a day. Plus he's a veritable font of info on healthy eating. :P And he's cute to boot. LOL

6:40 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Just as an aside - Go Ames!! Go get your man ;)

That's all great news Rosie! Okay, the thyroid thing not so fun but like you said, they have meds now. And that might be what is keeping on extra weight.

I'm proud of you for taking the test - after all it was voluntary! Knowing is the best way to treat ourselves.

On that note I guess I should really schedule my annual. I keep meaning to do that. Grrr.

CindyS

6:46 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, yeah, I hear what you are saying about the pills, it seems like a no brainer. The monotony of it just gets to you after a while. If I live 30 more years that's 30 more years of pills twice a day. Blech! :-P

Dev, I'm thinking it was very fate like! I'm waiting to schedule more blood work for 6 weeks when I have to get it checked for the thyroid...so it will be a little while.

Jen, thanks! I'm actually pretty happy with the results...pill taking notwithstanding.

Ames, that sounds pretty cool. Besides if you stick with it after the initial enthusiastic start you might get a chance to get to know this guy better and you already know he's fit. ;-)

CindyS, Yes...GO AMES! We'll have to check up on her and see how she's doing. Oh, and I think you should get your annual out of the way. Sure they suck, but you feel so much better when it's all done for another year.

7:54 PM PST  
Blogger ReneeW said...

Good work, Rosie! I'm not so sure I would voluntarily do that. But it's better to know how your health/fitness is measuring up rather than keep fooling yourself which is what so many people do. I'm proud of you. Don't worry about one more pill, my MIL takes a boatload and she's 88. It's keeping her alive and she's doing well.

10:16 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

I need to go subject myself to a full and complete physical. Ugh. I hate those things. Why can't the chocolate just be good for us? Build muscle?

Good for you on your good results, though! I need to haul my carcass to the gym one of these days.

12:45 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home