A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The final word: Decision RWA 2009


I've had more angst over this decision than one woman should. Normally I'm not a ditherer. I might take a while to decide, weigh the pros and cons, but I make a decision and stick with it. At least that's what I do most of the time.

This time last year I think I'd already registered to go to RWA. I'd been saving money since the prior July. I had stash money. My only anxiety was over whether I'd fit in. What I'd wear. Oh, and to school myself not to be a total fruit loop when meeting authors.

I came away with some thoughts on what a reader should and should not expect from an RWA experience. While attending RWA is a wonderful experience, it's also a professional writer's conference and a reader who attends should take that into consideration before going. Consequently, I'd been thinking that going every other year would be more than adequate. I'm not an author that needs to network and make contacts, but a couple of things gave me pause this year and had me reconsidering that decision.

For one, I love seeing all my blogger pals. Not everyone makes it to RWA every year. OTOH, some people do go each year, and holey moley, I don't want to miss seeing those people the one year they might be going. Yeah, that's convoluted thinking I know, but it's how my brain works.

Secondly, and this is the real corker, I saw that Linda freaking Howard was going to be there. Linda Howard. DIAMOND BAY, HEART OF FIRE, MACKENZIE'S MOUNTAIN, SHADES OF TWILIGHT... That's without looking at my bookshelf. I could go on and on. Love her books. Love 'em. If there was a fire or disaster and I had time to grab something, after getting my family out safe, it would be her books. Swear.

To add further to my angst Janet Evanovich and Anne Stuart are also speaking. *dramatic swoon* Turmoil thy name is Rosie.

Lisabea and I made a sort of pact way back last year that each of us would go to DC if the other went. Originally this plan included spouses. When Lisa was here last month neither one of us had made up our minds, but knew if we'd be going, our men wouldn't be. Lucky for us both of our G's were nudging and urging us to go. In fact, GG was so encouraging that if I didn't know he'd miss me and how expensive the trip is I would be suspicious he was trying to get rid of me.

Anyway a couple of days ago, on the very same day, LB and I emailed one another and just said, "Let's do eet". So we are. We are both going to RWA . If we do things right neither Washington DC nor we will ever be the same. Roomies. Pals. Buds. Cell mates.



Some things never change. Even though I'm excited, I find I'm still also, you know, a bit freaked out. Just like last year, I'm wondering what to wear, whether I'll fit in, and wondering if I won't act like an idiot if I get a chance to have a book signed by Linda Howard. Believe it or not I find comfort in my neuroses. It keeps my mind off the really scary stuff.

For now, I've stuffed my Mother's guilt in a hat box in the closet and I'm ready to bring on the gin, scotch, good times. Here we come DC!
Anybody else make the big decision this week? I'm taking names and making plans.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:20 AM PST  
Blogger Marg said...

Woo-hoo! I am going to the first Australian Romance Readers Convention this weekend I cannot freaking wait!

1:44 AM PST  
Blogger sula said...

dooooo eeeeet!

woot! I'm so glad you're coming over to our side of the country. And while I haven't yet found a work-related excuse to be in DC that week, I can prolly manage to drive up for at least one afternoon of bachanalia. *g*

5:09 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

OMG that photo is PERFECTLY us.

Hehehhe.


I have to get promo items made and I'm thinking the fan. What think you? Mantitty fan? I loved those last year.

I'm rocking the safari jacket again cuz I gots no cash for new threads. Boo.

GG is a prince, btw. Mwah.

5:43 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, yeah bay-bee! Can't wait to see you.

Marg, that should be a lot of fun. Can't wait to hear all about it from you.

sula! Bacchanalia now there's a word to embrace at RWA. I've never been to DC and am expecting to be excited, jet lagged, adrenalized, and exhausted the whole time.

Lb, yeah I fell in love with "our" photo the moment I saw it. You know I adored the fan, but can you get away with one of those kisses you posted on it. Those were...how to put it...dee-lishus! Oh, and clothes, ugh! Although I'm using this shindig as an excuse to drop a few more lbs. We shall see.

Mr. Darcy and his curls are pretty teh awesome too. I'm smiling just thinking about his locks. The cutie.

7:11 AM PST  
Blogger KT Grant said...

I am definitely coming again this year. Everything you have mentioned is the way I feel. Do I really belong?
Eh, pass me a beer and all the books I can read and I am set. And of course all the wonderful people I will see.

7:37 AM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

Nope, can't do it this year. We tried to piggyback a family vacation with even just the literacy signing, and that would have worked out perfectly, but then RWA changed weekends on me, so summer school won't be over yet. Boohoo.

8:00 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well you already know I'll be there. I'm hoping this year I won't have to spend quite so much time handling "library business."

And you were right to cross out gin and scotch. Vodka all the way baby!

8:51 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Wooohooo for you Rosie! That's great news! Sigh, I don't think I'll be able to make it this year :( but still looking forward to make it to one in the future!

9:40 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went for the first time last year, hardly knew anyone and had a blast.

Lisa Kleypas hugged me!

I took a picture of Linda Howard and asked her this question at a workshop: How do you prepare for writing sex scenes? Cuz you're so good at it!

It was sooo dorky OMG. Everyone laughed and she was a great sport.

So don't worry! Authors love it when fans get so excited they act silly.

Have a great time.

10:38 AM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

Oh I'm so happy for you that you decided to go! You all will have a great time. As much as I want to go I just don't think it will happen. :( Then again...little green aliens might dump me in your room - there's not tellin.

12:32 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Katie, I'm sure I'll be seeing you...especially in the bar! Heh.

Lori, as you know, since I blab everything here, GG was supposed to be going. We downsized to me. I feel so lucky to be able to do this and am very grateful for my husbink.

Wendy, we gotsta make plans. Don't be getting so busy you forget us little people.

Nath, one of these days kiddo. Look at me. It took 35 years of romance reading to get to this point. I'm sure you'll be there a whole lot faster.

Hi Jill! Hope we get to meet. Have I mentioned the bar at all???

Tracy, oh schminky. Stranger things have happened, right? Who knows what the next few months hold.

6:30 PM PST  
Blogger Renee said...

Ooh, you ladies have a cake shot for me (or a shot of something stronger!) It sounds like loads of fun, and I'll be eagerly waiting for all the great posts about RWA!

9:05 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, I'm horrible with pictures, but most of the readers who go, writers too, have plenty of blog fodder. Belly up for caek shots all 'round.

10:24 PM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I'm so glad you and LB decided to go this year!!! I shall be seeing you there :)

10:56 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, I'm so excited to see everyone and I don't know if I mentioned Linda Howard. ;-)

12:18 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

I broached the subject with the hubby. The minute he heard Anne Stuart would be within shouting distance he decided it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not sure I could cope. If the darn thing was in the winter I'd be there!

Have a great time and yup, GG loves you, but then you knew that ;)

CindyS

2:24 AM PST  
Blogger KT Grant said...

You may have to hold me back from Linda Howard and Anne Stuart.

5:01 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, one thing to remember, you'll always have friends at RWA who can help AND know you.

Kb, you'll be joining a legion of AS & LH fans, I'm sure.

7:26 AM PST  
Blogger Angela James said...

You were at RWA with Linda Howard last year and didn't even know it :P I think she goes pretty much every year. She's very active in the RWA. I don't believe she always does the book signing, though, so you may have to catch her at some point somewhere else.

I'll see you there!

7:14 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Angie, I remember at one of the lunches last year someone said LH had been present for a board meeting because she's on the RWA board (?), but I never laid eyes on her. I figure as a speaker this year it really counts.

My turn to buy breakfast!

1:50 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home