A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Mandarin Sideboard

As many of you know, last year GG and I bought the BATV (code for big ass flat screen TV) and then a piece of furniture to go under the BATV. This was loosely referred to as our anniversary, birthday and Christmas gift to ourselves because these events all fall within 3 weeks of one another.

For the last couple of years we've been trying to do something for the house when we buy for each other. This has a dual benefit of getting some big ticket item we'd like to have and combines the money we've budgeted for our gifts to each other so we can afford the one big thing.

This year we've been contemplating the above pictured Mandarin sideboard. I feel guilty though. Sure it's coming out of the gift money. Sure we figured out a way to pay for the new heating and air-conditioning unit and ducting that makes me wince every time I think about it... BUT, and you knew there was one, it seems so decadent to go buy a big ticket item like this right now.

GG has no qualms whatsoever. Me? I worry. I worry about the economy, about saving more money, about our retirement in 9 years. Yes, 9 years... Is it too early to worry about that? No, I don't think so.

Anyway, because I'd really like to have the Mandarin sideboard we'll probably go ahead and buy it later today. Maybe. Probably. I think...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I'm the exact same way. We seem to live very frugally for months on end and them WHAMO! We buy several big ticket items in a row, I want to curl into the fetal position and start sucking my thumb.

I think the holidays bring that out in all of us.

5:03 PM PST  
Blogger Renee said...

Yeah, we do the same. We don't throw money around, but when we do finally buy something, we usually make up our minds pretty fast. We really try to tell ourselves we're "investing" in our home, usually spending more for something of (hopefully!) higher quality that will last the years.

That sideboard is beautiful, and looks like something you can enjoy for years to come!

9:09 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Men are usually that way for some reasons. No qualms, if you want it, buy it. My parents are the same ^_^;

It is very pretty though :)

4:33 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wen, you think it's the holidays? Hmmm... maybe so. I have to say Christmas music and bright lights do put me in a spending mood.

Renee, I tend to fret until we make the actual purchase because I want to be sure we are going to love, love, love what we buy when we spend so much money. OTOH, once we actually make the purchase I'm usually fine. So, today I'm fine since we made the purchase yesterday.

Nathie, wouldn't you love to have some of that "no qualms" stuff?

10:49 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Pretty!! I've been looking for some dining room furniture, too. I saw this piece at Crate and Barrel?? Maybe Pottery Barn? Anyway, it's very pretty!

2:06 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jenster, you are so right, the sideboard is from Crate and Barrel. I'm not using it in my dining room though. I'm using it in my LR for storage. Maybe if I get motivated I'll post a picture once we get it.

5:25 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

I would Rosie, I would... but to tell the truth, I'm half-way there already LOL.

11:50 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

It's a beautiful sideboard.

Have you considered redoing something from a thrift store? A dresser or sideboard, for instance? You'd be amazed at some of the beautiful pieces out there...sideboards, dressers and such that with a little sanding or the addition of some trim and definitely a coat of paint or stain might end up working as well or better than the sideboard for a fraction of the price.

4:45 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home