A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, September 22, 2006

A KISS TO DIE FOR by Claudia Dain

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A Kiss to Die For by Claudia Dain is another book I picked up from the AAR list. I'd read Ms. Dain in the past but had absolutely no memory of the experience. I checked and found Ms. Dain's TELL ME LIES on my keeper shelf and wondered why I didn't remember reading it and, since I kept the book, why I had no recollection of reading any others, or more importantly, why I apparently didn't glom any others.

This was even more puzzling after I had read A KISS TO DIE FOR. I really liked this book. It's a post Civil War western. I like reading about this period because it is such a tumultuous time in our history. Life in the United States post Civil War was a time when we redefined ourselves. The Civil War affected people of every strata of life in every part of our country. The winds of change were blowing whether or not the individual wanted them to or not. This makes for some wonderful conflict in books, so I was very interested in reading this and wondered how I'd missed it when it was released in 2003.

Here's a blurb from the author's web site:

A KILLER Women were dying. Pretty women, lonely women, women who gave their hearts to a man who promised happily ever after, but delivered death.

A STRANGER He steamed into Abilene on the locomotive, a loner with a legend attached to his name. Jack Skull claimed he was tracking a con man, a murderer, but Anne felt as if he was pursuing her.

A LOVER Though she'd sworn matrimony was not for her--it seemed to backfire for women in her family--somehow she found herself saying "I do." When Jack took her in his arms and lowered his lips to hers, reason flew out the window, and she could well believe his would be...
A KISS TO DIE FOR.



Jack Scullard, aka Jack Skull, is a former Texas Ranger turned bounty hunter. He has lots of baggage from his past, but Ms. Dain doesn't over play this and does well showing us how Jack has coped and made the best choices available to him. True to character and the time period, Jack understands what people think of him without feeling sorry for himself or bitter about it.

Anne lives with her mother, grandmother and aunt. It is Anne's habit to meet the train every day. Everyone in town knows this and expects it. Anne has a plan, a plan to leave on a train one day so she won't be left like the other women in her family have been. At least that is what she has in mind until she meets Jack one fateful morning while he is tossing a captured bounty on to the train platform.

The backdrop of the serial murders gives added suspense and tension that keeps you interested in the mystery without overwhelming the real story which is the unlikely pairing of Jack and Anne.

Maybe I'm just in a western frame of mind, but this book really captured my attention. I was moved by the individual past history of both these people. It was a story that was very accessible and one where the thoughts and feelings of the characters were easy to identify with. This is another book that successfully tells a story and keeps the characters within the context of the time period without relying on stereotype. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys a story with emotional depth about real people. It's a must read for anyone who likes westerns.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I'm adding this to my wishlist, Rosie. It sounds good!

7:36 AM PDT  
Blogger WarriorM said...

I haven't blooged in forever and had to come see the #2 Goldrush blog! Are you famous now or what?

Craig and I have been playing Goldrush and we totally have been seeking help online. There have been some doozies as the challenge questions. So if you feel like postining help, people are out there looking for it! ;-)

8:41 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Devonna, I hope you like it. I found mine at local UBS. It's a good story.

Mary welcome back to blog land.
GoldRushingal whose link is at the bottom of my second blog is awesome. That's why I direct people there. She had 1649 hits in a week on her site. Check her out for Gold Rush help.

http://goldrushingal.blogspot.com/

You can even subscribe to her site now.

10:20 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm adding this to my wish list, too. ;)

Good review.

I don't watch T.V. though, so I have no idea what the goldrush thing is. LOL

8:11 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I've got this one buried in the TBR. You aren't alone either - I know several online romance readers who enjoyed this one....

8:42 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, Gold Rush is a game on aol.com and is an interactive internet, TV, magazine sort of game. You can start playing at any time and any round without playing prior rounds. My brother is one of the people involved in the adverts for it at AOL so that's why I've been talking about it.

Wendy, I'll be anxious to see what you think about A Kiss to Die For. I picked up another Dain book yesterday along with several others to add to ye old TBR.

9:17 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home