A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

DEMON ANGEL by Meljean Brook



Demon Angel by Meljean Brook

















Just to begin and for the sake of full disclosure, I bought this book the DAY it came out. It had gotten so much great buzz and I didn't want to miss out on a good book, so I bought it. I bought it knowing that I don't usually like books about angels or devils. Not because I'm not religious or don't believe, but for me I just couldn't see or think of anything romantic about an H/H combo that was demon and angel. Suffice it to say it was definitely one of those 'it's not you it's me' issues.

Then after people read it and reader reviews started showing up, if you can believe it, I was more leary than ever. I was certain I wasn't going to like it. Yet the book remained in the small TBR that is in the table next to my bed instead of being rotated to the towering TBR in my office. It wasn't until Tara Marie's glowing comments about the next book, DEMON MOON (excerpt)that I kicked myself in the pants and wondered why I was being so silly when I hadn't read the blurb, an excerpt or even cracked open DEMON ANGEL. I decided I wanted to have DEMON ANGEL (excerpt) read before DEMON MOON was released.

It's hard to do a summary of this book. None that I've read really captured how I felt or my reaction to the book. My take is that there's a Demon with supernatural powers, Lilith who made a bargain with Lucifer because she didn't want to die. There's a Guardian, Hugh who really isn't an angel but a human who has been transformed into a being also with many supernatural powers whose assignment is to protect humankind. Over the course of two thousand years Hugh and Lilith meet time and again. Sometimes they are almost allies and others they are bitter enemies. Always there is attraction and desire between them. As time and the world go on each of them sees their role changing. Add to this machinations of Lucifer, hell hounds, nosferatu, vampires and the Guardian corps and you have a complex and compelling story. There is love, there is good and there is evil. There is pain, pleasure, condemnation, redemption. It was quite a ride.

I have to admit when I started DEMON ANGEL it was pretty tough going for me for about the first 70 pages. It wasn't until the story moved forward from 1217 that I started to really get into it. Another issue in the beginning, which is certainly not a flaw or fault with the book, was that I hadn't been challenged by my reading material in quite some time. This book isn't fluff. Which isn't to say there isn't humor and heart in the book, because there most certainly is. This is 423 pages where you have to pay attention. I enjoyed and appreciated that Ms. Brook counts on and believes her readers will follow her bread crumbs.

Don't be put off by believing or thinking, as I did, that this is just a story about angels. Ultimately this is a story of struggle. While anguished at times for Hugh and Lilith and their many conflicts and obstacles I relished it. It wasn't an easy read, but one I couldn't put down. I don't feel compelled just by curiousity to read the next book, but am anxious to see what else Ms. Brook has to say. This is a new and unique voice and I'm excited to see what the future holds. For now I'll just salivate and wish June 5th will hurry up and get here so I can read
DEMON MOON. I went back and read FALLING FOR ANTHONY in my copy of the HOT SPELL anthology. I immediately remembered reading the story the first time and it may be why I bought DEMON ANGEL when it came out. I must say the story had much more meaning for me after reading DEMON ANGEL.

Have I already said June 5th can't get here soon enough? Sybil has an excerpt posted here. It's different from the one I linked to above.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger sybil said...

Sorry... I really need to post my review it would have answered your questions *g*.

It took me forever to read this because I didn't think I would like it at all... I do not dig the angel devil thing (for different reasons than you ;) ).

But to me it is much more good vs evil than heaven vs hell. In a way at least... hope you like Demon Moon. I thought it was grand.

I will have a couple of contests for it *g*.

7:38 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sybil I just re-read my review and I'm still frustrated because I don't think it does the book justice. While I've seen and read lots of enthusiasm for this book I haven't found one that captures what the reading experience of this book is like.

For now I'm content to let people like me who think it is an "angel" story know that it isn't. I couldn't agree more with your comments that it "much more good vs evil than heaven vs hell".

As for DEMON MOON I can't wait. The excerpt at Meljean's site was bad enough then I read the one you posted today and I can't wait!

12:43 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie :D

I'm glad you enjoyed this book :D I luv it and because of all the buzz presently (you reading DA, and ppl starting to review DM), I'm re-reading it :D Still love it to bit :D I've always liked storylines where one of the main character sacrifices so much for the other :D Hopefully, June 5th will come fast.

6:24 AM PDT  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Definitely a good vs evil book for me. I loved that even though Lilith bargained with the devil she never fully lost her humanity. We sometimes forget that life isn't always black and white and this book reminded me that sometimes life comes in shades of gray, good and evil.

Falling for Anthony is one of my favorite anthology stories of all times.

7:42 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Ugh-I bought this book the day it came out as well and still haven't read it!! I'm bad, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. LOL

It's on my list of 50, so I'll get to it.

7:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, at least I don't have long to wait for DM!

TM, I'm on a kick of reading books with a bit more gravitas. This fit the bill in spades. Of course next week I'll probably want something frivolous.

Ames, those first 60 pages were tough for me before the book started moving forward. It's worth it though.

Zeek, while I recognized the story and remembered reading FALLING FOR ANTHONY it didn't impact me in the same way it did after I read DA. It's a tough call trust your own instincts, of course.

11:57 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

You already know that I didn't like this one. I tried for 140 pages! I'm glad you liked it though. :)

2:45 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home