A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Big Box of Blue




I'm a big box of blue today and probably will be for the next few days. I made it to the final interview for the job I wanted and got a letter Saturday saying I didn't get it. I don't know why. It's so frustrating to go through such a long and thorough process and then not get the prize. Frankly, it makes me feel old and it's finally dawned on me that it might not be so easy to get a job at 52.

It's been a long time since I actually pursued a job I wanted. Most of my professional life has been dictated by referral or promotion or necessity. I've also been the happy recipient of alot of good fortune job hunting and haven't had alot of rejection.

Yeah, poor me right? I have a great life, great kids, a great husband, but I wanted this for me. So, huh, what next? As Scarlett would say, "Tomorrow's another day!"

But for right now I'm BLUE.

***EDITED TO ADD - MONDAY MORNING***

I spoke with the office manager this morning as a post mortem sort of thing, to find out what, if any, pointers or criticism they might have for me. Also, she had mentioned a PT position in the letter they sent and I wanted to find out more about that.

Turns out it was actually between me and the woman they hired. While she gave me the reason for chosing the other candidate (more HR and payroll experience) it kind of made me scratch my head. This was an entry level admin position no where did the job description or posting mention payroll or HR experience. Anyway, I really want to work at this place, so I think I'm going to go to another interview (I'm a glutton for punishment) and try for the part time position. It's okay to call me crazy.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Smart Socratics said...

I'm sorry, Rosie. I know how disappointing that can be. I wish you quick recovery from your blue-ness.

5:16 PM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh, how rotten! I'm so sorry you've been disappointed. I hate it when I get all worked up for something only to be let down. :(

But who knows, maybe this wasn't the right position for you and something WAY better will come along now that this one has passed.

Chin up, babe.

Of course, if it were me I'd pout and be blue for at least a few days.

5:32 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well that sucks Rosie! I know you jumped through an unreasonable amount of hoops trying to land this job.

I'm with Holly. Maybe this means something even better is on the horizon.

8:37 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sue,yeah, I've hit a real low point here. From your lips to God's ears on the blue-ness.

Holly, thanks for pep talk. I do believe things happen for a reason. Who knows what this means. Sometimes one just has to wait and see.

Wendy, sucks big time! Don't know what they wanted that I was missing, especially since it seemed like things were going so well. Life's what happens when you're making plans and all that.

7:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosario said...

It does suck, Rosie. I've been there, and not knowing what the hell happened is the worst. But you'll get something even better, I'm sure of it!

8:45 AM PDT  
Blogger scooper said...

I've got nothing new that the rest of the crew hasn't already mentioned. I'll be rooting for you to get an even better position, however.

9:13 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Rosario & Scooper thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I did speak to the place this morning. I've edited my post with some interesting info.

11:09 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that blows. Truly. It's so hard at times when you want something and don't get it. But then sometimes you look back and think "What was I so caught up with?" Good luck with the next interview, and screw the age thing. 52 is the new 22! (Except, you know, with experience and insurance.)

2:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Well - if I'm an example to go by, I worked at a grocery store for years until it closed. I went back to school, learned computers and kicked around a number of jobs for a while. One of them lasted 6 years before things turned sour. Then at the age of 54 I finally found the exact right job. So the moral is - I know it can seem very depressing at times, but it WILL happen!!!

7:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, I'm getting a little breathing room already. I just really, really wanted that job. C'est la vie. I'll live...with some bitterness for a while, but I'll live. :)

Kristie, you are so sweet and this was such a good message to get. Thanks so much.


In fact I have to say thanks to all of you again for being so nice to me.

10:52 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm late but comin' in with a Chin Up!! The only time I ever got a job was when I went in not expecting to get it. Weird that way. When I went in wanting the job I never got it. Meh.

Hope the blues are starting to lift and you're never too old to start something new - I love that Kristie finally found a job she loves and she did it through a temp agency!

CindyS

2:40 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home