A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

THREE LITTLE BOOKS

I was tagged by Nath this time with a book meme.

Rules: List and describe three of your favorite books that other people might not be familiar with. You are supposed to tag five people, but I'm not going to do that. If you are interested in doing this, please do!

















HUMMINGBIRD
by Lavryle Spencer


This is the story of a lonely woman who was raised to be proper and do the right thing at all costs. Everything changes when there is a train wreck and an injured man is put in her care. The question is whether or not the injured man is one of the train robbers who caused the wreck or just an innocent passenger. Who is Miss Abigail's patient?

I loved this book the very first time I read it. If you've never read Ms. Spencer then you're in for a treat discovering her books. They are well written and true to the time period she writes and wonderful love stories. A couple of her books were made into TV movies. The most popular was MORNING GLORY with Christopher Reeve and Deborah Raffin. As with Nora Roberts' film adaptations the book was much better and more in depth than the movie.

At any rate, I've recommended HUMMINGBIRD any number of times. Good book.

















MILA 18
by Leon Uris


Mr. Uris' most famous books are EXODUS and TRINITY, which I've read and enjoyed, but not as much as this epic. Mila 18 is named for the ghetto the Nazis made out of one quadrant of the city of Warsaw, Poland for the Jews. It follows the story of different members of a family and how they each cope with the Nazi invasion and their response to it. The Polish Jews of Warsaw fought back and were among the first to get news and information out to the rest of the world about what was going on.

The book isn't for the faint hearted. Mr. Uris' books are well researched and historically graphic and accurate. I don't think I've ever cried as much in ANY book as I did in this one, but the story is riveting and compelling.



















REDEEMING LOVE
by Francine Rivers


While looking for links for my blog I discovered this book has been rewritten from its original Bantam release in 1991. The original is the book I read and recommend. The book is about a Christian farmer who decides on first sight that he has found his true love when he sees a prostitute walking down the street in town. The problem is Angel doesn't want to be saved or married or in love. Michael visits Angel in her room as a prostitute and tries to convince her to marry him. It isn't until she's badly beaten that she reconsiders her profession.

This is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read and while at times it is hard to believe and see why Michael insists on loving Angel it speaks to a higher truth in all of us which is wanting to be loved flaws and all. REDEEMING LOVE is the last book Ms. Rivers wrote before turning her writing completely to inspirational. She wrote some wonderful western romances that are on my keeper shelf as well.

While REDEEMING LOVE and HUMMINGBIRD are certainly love stories, if you are a reader that likes your love stories spicy these probably aren't for you. They are both more traditional romances. However, I can assure you the writing and stories in these books are very well done.

There you have it. Three of my favorites that you probably didn't know about. What are yours?

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger ~ames~ said...

Very interesting 3 Rosie. I love memes of this type, you can really find some gems, and that's what these sound like. :P

7:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

I've never read Lavryl Spencer, but I've heard such good things about her. I'll have to put Hummingbird on my list.

I love Redeeming Love. What an incredible story.

9:18 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, all 3 are still on my keeper shelves. You won't regret reading any one of them.

Jenster, you are missing out if you haven't read LaVryle Spencer. Very well written and character driven. Love her books. I wish she was still writing.

9:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

Great meme - and the books look great. I have such a TBR pile I hate to add to it, but I must admit that Leon Uris's book looks good.

11:07 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

For Redeeming Love, is the bedroom door closed? I don't mind mild sexuality but if there is no sex then I'm not normally interested. Just sounds like a great story.

CindyS

1:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam, that Uris book is very good and there's a wonderful love story in it as well.

Cindy, nope bedroom door isn't closed. There's lots of sexual tension in both books and it takes awhile, but door's open.

5:37 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie :D I think I'm going to try Hummingbird and For Redeeming Love, but I'm going to skip the last one :P oh but then, I just saw great love story in it... Hopefully, I'll be able to find all three books easily! Thanks for doing it Rosie :D and next time, you can tag me as payback LOL :D

5:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I've read all of Spencer's book except for her last one - still haven't gotten around to it yet. Morning Glory is in my all time top five. I was ecstatic when I heard they were making it into a movie - until I saw the movie. I hated it with a passion! Christopher Reeve was so not how I pictured Will Parker and it took my ages and ages to wipe him out of my mind. And they changed the whole complexion of the movie!! They changed the bad guy and Ellie never testified in the book. While I thought Deborah Raffin made a good Ellie, it was the librarian (and darn it all I forget her name at the moment) who I thought was most like the character in the book. I still remember thinking "I can't believe the author approves of this movie. It's dreadful!"

6:16 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this entry is already several months old, but I just had to write that I've loved Redeeming Love!!!! I will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow, but I go between weeping to smiles continually. I just had to get online and do a search to see other reviews and blogs on the book. I'm so glad she took the time to develop Angel's person and demonstrate just how difficult this kind of life change would be. I also read her Last Sin Eater (which was more difficult for me because of the dialect) and one of my friends said that The Mark of the Lion triliogy (A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, and As Sure as the Dawn) is the best series ever and that I have to read it ASAP--especially the second one. However, I don't think that's a romance set (I may be wrong). As a book reviewer I usually receive my books free from publishers and authors, but Francine's books I'm completely willing to buy with my OWN money.

I don't know if everyone already knows, but it is based on the story of Hosea in the Old Testament. So even though it seems unbelievable that Michael would continue to be so loving and strong through all of the hardship, it's simply following Hosea's original story.

9:05 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home