A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Meeting

As you know from my recent posts some of us SoCal blogger types decided to try and meet up. Yesterday Nikki, from Romance Book Crazy and Wendy from The Misadventures of Super Librarian and I met for lunch and much discussion about books, RWA, blogging and our fab online community. There were no gaps or pauses, and speaking for myself, I barely took a breath. There was just so much to talk about. We didn't come close to exhausting our topics and bounced back and forth and picked up threads over and over again.

While I'd met with Wendy a couple of times it was just great getting to meet Nikki. Kristie was so right in her posts about RWA when she spoke of the instant rapport and joy you share with another passionate reader and fan of Romance. If you've been thinking about meeting with other readers and people who blog in your area, I highly recommend it.

Since Wendy is a seasoned pro and has attended RWA a few times we were able to quiz her and get some great advice and suggestions for RWA in San Francisco. Both Nikki and I plan to attend.

Then Wendy suggested we go to her car to do our book swap. There in the trunk of her car were TWO BOXES of books she brought to share. Nikki brought a very nice assortment (several!) of recent releases in her book bag. Since I'd recently been to the UBS with five bags of books I only had two measly books to offer up. I managed to force myself to take a few books from the bountiful offering of each of these ladies. :)

It was a great afternoon and I'm looking forward to meeting with both of them again. Hopefully we can do something in the Fall. We are looking at September. There are conflicts with the first weekend (Labor Day) and the second weekend as well now. So tentatively we are looking at Saturday, September 22nd. Check your calendars and see if you can make it. The where is still to be decided because, Southern California is a big place and we want to make it as convenient as we can for the most people.

Oh, and did I mention there was cheesecake? Really, really good cheesecake I might add. Interesting and stimulating conversation, great company, BOOKS, and cheesecake? That's what I call living.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Cheesecake and books pretty much makes for a perfect day in my opinion :)

11:19 AM PDT  
Blogger Marg said...

Mmmm....cheesecake!

I recently joined a new recipe site. I have 6 recipes saved in my recipe file....and they are all for cheesecake!

One of these days I will make one of them!

1:42 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Kristie is coming on Friday and I'm hoping Nath and Ames can come again next year. There is an instant connect when you meet people who share your interests. I'm so glad you guys were able to get together!

CindyS

5:51 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, can I hear an Amen!

Marg, my Mom had a NY cheesecake recipe that is so easy and yummy. It's almost fail safe. However, is so nice to go out and be spoiled with a piece already made.

Cindy, as great as the posts and pictures are about people and RWA etc. It's waaaaay better hearing opinions, thoughts and observations first hand. Have fun with Kristie.

7:08 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Oh God! And I guess I mean hat literally, because the 22nd is Yom Kippur. I'm gonna be in temple all day. *pout*

I'm so glad you guys had a great time! And bummed that I missed it.

9:17 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great meeting and I'm so glad you'll be in San Francisco!

9:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, well I guess we will pick another weekend then won't we? We don't want you to miss out again. We'll figure something out.

Gabrielle, even though several people who have gone to RWA before told me not to worry about being a reader and to go (Wendy being one of them) it was nice to hear it first hand and get the inside scoop too. Nikki and I are both very excited to go to RWA in SF. I, of course, can't wait to meet you and drink some champagne, or margaritas!

1:06 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

It is great meeting other bloggers isn't it. You have an instant connection about something that is such a big part of your life that most family and friends just don't seem to 'get' about you.
I've met a number now and can hardly wait to see them all again and meet even more.

4:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I'm so jealous of all you ladies getting together. I'm missing my old bookclub desperately and am living vicariously through all of you.

4:57 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie :D I'm glad you had fun :P wasn't Holly supposed to join you guys?

The awesome thing about romance bloggers meeting is that there's an instant connection... the difference in ages, culture and so on doesn't matter because you're all bond by something stronger :P Sounds cheesy, but it's true!

Cindy - we're definitively coming back LOL :D

5:01 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, you are so right about being with people who 'get' you. It's very liberating.

TM, I would so love to meet you! It could happen. We just have to be ready when the universe presents us the opportunity. :) You never know when that might be.

Nath, You are so right abut that instant connection. The conversation flowed from the moment of meeting. No awkwardness.

Poor dear Holland couldn't join us because she got a migraine. Poor baby. Hopefully she'll be able to join us next time.

9:21 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Yay! Cheesecake, books, friends - nothing better than that! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

12:46 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home