A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Reading, Working and RWA

Okay this whole working thing is totally interfering with my reading. More importantly it's messing with my ability to keep up with all things RWA. Other than that I got no complaints.

BTW, have you been reading the updates from Jane and Smart Bitches Candy and Sarah? Jane's one liners are just fab-u-lous dah-ling. Of course there is also the occasional post from Kristie and Wendy when they aren't too busy living it up. Color me green...


Crikeys, I can't believe how much stuff they've done and how many authors they've met and what a great time they seem to be having. Man, oh man. Linda Howard! Damn you Jane! Judith McNaught. (Jane again!) Lunch with Lisa Kleypas (see Kristie's post it made me cry). Sybil had a one on one with JR Ward. I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for that convo.

I used to fantasize about going to the RT or RWA conventions when I was younger and couldn't afford it. Then when I could afford it I didn't want to just take off by myself. What's the point of gushing and acting like a stalking fan girl over your fave authors without somebody to snap the pictures and witness your dorky geek love?

Anyway it seems the stars and planets are finally in alignment because thanks to all the cool chicks I've met online I don't have to go and feel like I'm alone and don't know anybody. Conveniently, the next RWA just happens to be in San Francisco. Woo Hoo! This is a do-able distance since I'll have a limited amount of time off from aforementioned new job. So...who else out there is going to meet me in SF?

As far as the reading goes, well it's a darn good thing it's the weekend. I've been enjoying Jane Graves latest but have been disciplining myself to go to bed and not read. Which means I haven't read a whole book this week. Yeah, I can't believe it either. Since being on time to work is sort of a big deal at the fire department, I haven't pushed my luck by staying up into the wee hours reading. So my reading has suffered terribly this week. Hopefully things will slow down to the normal frantic pace and give me a little breathing room. Maybe I'll get a book or two read over the weekend. One can hope.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

I love Jane Graves, but the review in the Romantic Times was only 3 stars (I think) so I stayed away from it. Please, let us know if it's any good.

I'll meet in in SF and take "dorky geek love" pictures for you! Will you take "dorky geek love" pictures for me? LOL!

I'm going to SF and nothing will stop me! It sounds like so much fun. I have been checking dear author about 4 times a day. JR Ward, SB, LK and Pamela Clare all in the same room is just too much!!!!!

I love to meet my favorite authors but I feel so, so dumb when I am actually there. I want them to know how much I love their writing and I just end up saying "thank you" because I can't begin to put it into words. I met SB a while ago and I felt like such a dork! I don't remember what I said because I have conveniently blocked it from my mind. I just know it was dorky!

Being a fan girl is hard to take. It makes me feel like a teenager again.

9:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yeah, working for a living is highly overrated and does cut into the reading time. I just think of how many books I could read if I was independently wealthy and get depressed.

I'm tired. My feet hurt. But dang, free books! Flying back to CA tomorrow morning. Oh, and I got you a present :)

11:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

So they don't let you read at work?? What kind of place is it??

Wish I could meet you in SF. That's one of my favorite places on earth!

7:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nikki, you will? You'll take pictures of me with my dorky geek love of my fave authors? You're on! :) I'm starting to plan and save now so I'll be ready next year.

As for feeling dumb, I've been to book signings before...one notable one with Judith McNaught in Long Beach forever ago, and I could hardly speak. Crazy huh?

Wendy, seriously a present? Now you know I'm going to go nuts don't you? So how soon can we meet up? : )

Jen, can you believe it? No reading that's not work related. Slave drivers! : ) You know I'm really loving it...so she says after 4 days, and think I've landed in exactly the right place for me.

2:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Jane Graves is one of my autobuy authors and I LOVED her latest one. I finished it just before I left and it was such a thrill to talk to her (yes - squeeaaall - I talked to her). So Nikki - I'd say ignore the 3 star review at RT. It got a B+ at AAR which is more indicitive of what I thought of it.
And Jane isn't the only one who talked to some biggies. I've barely begun to name drop yet *g*. And I've already decided to go to the next one in SF *happy grin*

7:38 PM PDT  
Blogger ErinPaperbackstash said...

Wouldn't it just be great to meet all those writers? Some people have all the luck!

10:09 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie thanks for commenting on the Jane Graves for Nikki since I didn't. I enjoyed the book alot and think it was good too.

Seems like you have quite the fan club from RWA. Name drop away, I can't wait to hear everything. Hey, my new mantra? SF or bust!


Erin, thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping like hell to be one of those lucky people next year.

1:24 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you KNOW I'll be there--with bells on. I've already picked out my hotel room, found that there's a Walgreens just around the corner--plus a Chevy's for the margaritas and a Mel's Drive-In for the burgers. Bring. It. ON!!!!!!!!!!

3:41 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, what hotel and which Mel's? My bro lives in SF. I haven't decided whether to stay with him or not miss out on anything at the hotel.

3:45 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Marriott on 4th street--the one they call the jukebox. I always wanted to stay there, and now I will be :-) Where does your brother live?

10:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm planning on going next year to SF also, Rosie. I went when it was in Reno, too. A total blast, although I didn't do a whole lot. Suz Brockmann does a dinner for her fans each year there - that was a total hoot! That was really why I went. Plus I met a few online friends, too. Way cool. I think Anne is going to fly out from WI, too. She's still trying to decide between RWA and RT, though, but I think she's leaning toward RWA. Woohoo!

9:44 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home