A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Just Keep Swimming...

As I've mentioned many times before, often when left to my own devices, I'm likely to find myself daydreaming and thinking. God only knows what I'll be mulling over on any given day, but trust me, I always find some odd or obscure train of thought to replay over and over again like an old record. My most recent place to ponder is while I'm swimming laps on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Up and down the pool I go. Up 50 meters. Back 50 meters. Sometimes, like this past Wednesday, I do 26 lengths of the pool. That's a lot of thinking time people. Up 13 times and back 13 times.

By the way, apropos of nothing except this tangent I have us on, while I truly enjoy yoga, far and away my favorite exercise is swimming. If I ever win the lottery, you know the California lottery that I almost NEVER play, that lottery. Any how, IF I ever win the lottery one of the first things I would do with the money is build an absolutely killer swimming pool with a couple of lap lanes. The essential and absolutely crucial 50-meter lap lanes would have to somehow be worked into the environmentally friendly and really nifty keen pool design. That's the plan anyway. A swimming pool to end all swimming pools. Someday. Maybe. If I ever buy a lottery ticket.

Anyway, pool design isn't what I was stewing over when I was swimming. Like I said I think about all kinds of things. Sometimes I think about stuff I have to do. Sometimes I think about how well I just swam a particular lap. Sometimes I even think about stuff to write about here. All the while there's a soothing rhythm to it. Stroke, stroke, breath...stroke, stroke, breath...you get the idea. I love it I really do.

Then the other night before I fell asleep, I got to thinking about the rhythm of swimming. The strokes. The breaths. The pull and rush of moving through the water. This in turn made me think of all the stuff going on in my real life. Not necessarily bad stuff, just a great volume of things that have to be done in a short period of time. Huh. What to do... What to do...

Then I smiled to myself. You were expecting an epiphany maybe? Nah, I just remembered a real good piece of advice. It's pretty darn good advice, even if it's coming from a blue fish with Ellen DeGeneres' voice. Good advice is good advice. Who cares where it comes from.

Just keep swimming...swimming, swimming...just keep swimming... Now that's something to think about.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Oh my gosh! I love swimming but I stopped swimming lengths a few years back because I won't shower naked at a public pool. Nope. No thanks.

Like you, if I ever win the millions I'm putting in an uber pool and since we get snow, it'll be indoors. Yep.

I was such a weak swimmer when I started in my 20s that for months I had to think about when to breath, who I was holding up behind me, did I breath?, ow my lungs! Took me a long time to find a rythm.

Once I got it though the 30 minutes of swim time became just too much time to spend lolling around in my brain. I mean really, I can be quite boring ;) That said, I just found out about an mp3 player that can play under water - it somehow uses the cheekbone to 'resonate' the sound to the ear. I'm considering buying one and getting my arse in gear again. Then the only thing I'll have to do is deal with the shower ;)

CindyS

1:23 AM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Oh thank you Rosie for this very nice reminder about how to live life with all of its ups and downs and frustrations. Just keep swimming.

6:19 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

LOL! I did not see the post going this way, but it was brilliant...and so true. So keep swimming!

11:21 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Wow, that's a lot of swimming.. me, I can't remember the last time I went into the water ^^;

6:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy we don't shower there. I arrive, I swim, I dry off, and I leave.

Sue, I hope you had a good weekend and didn't worry too much about the boxes. ;)

Jodi, so what did you think the post was going to be about?

Nath, I've had some summers where I've swam less than others, but I manage to get in the water some each year. I can't imagine not swimming.

4:57 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home