A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, August 03, 2007

This...That...and the Other...

I'm just dropping in to catch up with everyone. I'm still having internet problems and still looking for a new provider. *insert shrieking shrew* I haven't had time to return calls and schedule anything with possible new providers because it's been one of those extra busy weeks. What with everybody working, fewer cars and more
shuttling around town things have been hectic.

So Beanie's without a car. The insurance company decided his car is a total loss. *groan* I doubt the settlement will be enough to get what I would consider a decent and safe car. Beanie saved and bought this last one all on his own. He'll be doing that again but will probably save for a few months to add to the insurance kitty before making another used car purchase. Four people, four divergent schedules and two cars. Should be interesting around here the next couple of months. I'm praying there's no blood shed.

My father-in-law and his wife will be here for the weekend. They are absolutely delightful and we are anxious to see them. Keeping the house clean and the laundry caught up AND trying to decide what to feed them when it's so dang hot outside is another story. If anyone has a relatively easy meal for hot weather that requires little to no actual cooking, please post it or email me the recipe. The last thing I want to do when it's 102 degrees out is turn on the stove or oven.

Between work, helping Beanie with his insurance stuff (being his first accident and all), preparing for this visit and the *expletive deleted* internet problems it's been a bit of a busy week. It also means I haven't had much time to make the rounds or comment. I'm doing my best to keep up with most of your posts, but I'll have to hold off on commenting until things slow down around here.

I'm reading TIED TO THE TRACKS by Rosina Lippi and enjoying it very much. I remember vaguely someone mentioning the book before, but it was Marg's review and link to the excerpt that sold me. Thanks Marg! I didn't catch it the first time through but your follow up in June finally clicked. Seeing as how I'm so darn tired, I haven't had that much time for reading either. But I'm looking forward to things slowing down and returning to a somewhat normal routine next week. I only read 15 books in July. I read 20 in June. As each month in 2007 passes I seem to be buying more books and reading less. A bit out of kilter for me. Although I'm thinking the slow down is just the nature of my life right now so I'm going with it as the reason. It's a lot less stress that way and has the added plus of being something I don't have to worry about.

My friend Steadman lives in Minnesota. When I saw the news yesterday about the bridge I sent off an email to her. Fortunately she and all her family are all fine. Her son and daughter, who both live on their own, travel across that bridge daily. Her daughter made some other plans yesterday or she would have been in the rush hour traffic on her way home with all the other drivers on that bridge. This has been much on my mind. I love the water. I love swimming in it. However, I would not like being trapped in my car under water. I wonder if I could keep my head and be able to get out. There was one gentleman interviewed who said most people panic. He demonstrated for the newscaster what one should do in that circumstance and used an acronym, POGO. Which is basically Pop the window; roll it down if you can, if you can't roll it, break it out; Out of the car; and GO, which is swim away. Could you do it? Could you keep a cool head as you car fills with water?

While making my rounds I found this important link on Giselle's blog today. Take a second and go check it out. It's worth your time, effort and energy. It's about you, me, our sisters, our mothers, our friends. It's about people we know and love like our own fabulous Jenster.

Well, I'm dead tired. I'd better get this posted and drag myself off to bed. I will probably be scarce over the weekend since we'll be busy with our guests. Take it easy out there and stay cool. I leave you with this because it just ain't summer without a trip to the beach!





Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Noni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Marg said...

I'm glad that you are enjoying it!

2:15 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

4 people, 2 cars = somebody dies! LOL...at least it would at my house.

Have fun this weekend!

9:24 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

Thanks for posting that link and your nice words! *blush*

I have Tied to the Tracks on my wish list. I love her Into the Wilderness books (written as Sara Donati) so I'm pretty sure I'd like this one.

10:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

Hiya Rosie
I dunno if you like kabobs or chicken or grilling for that matter but here's a easy breezy recipe I recently made when my in-laws came to visit a few weeks back: serves 8

1/2 cup of greek vinaigrette dressing (kraft is pretty good)
2 tbsp mayo
1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast cut up about 1 inch pieces
some onions or whatever veggies you like to grill

marinade the chicken in the dressing and mayo coating it really good.leave it in refrigerator for about 20 min. Then thread it in your skewers and grill till done.

I made this with a tossed salad and some corn on the cob and it was delish.

Anyway, about the bridge incident. I can't stop thinking about it. I heard about the POGO but here's what scares the bejesus out of me. What if you have a kid strapped to a car seat? Would there be enough time? None of the demostrations I've seen show what to do in this case. I could never get out of the car without my kid and I just don't see how there'd be enough time. Scary stuff. Glad your friend is okay.

1:45 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Marg, I'd heard bits about the book, but your back link in June to your review and the excerpt really sold me on this book. Now it's just carving out enough time to read it!

Jodi, no kidding! I'm hoping that Beanie won't be long without a car because adding his hectic schedule to our car use is killer. Keep your fingers crossed he finds something FAST.

Jen, I always think it helps to put a face to an issue. Even though we haven't met face to face breast cancer feels more tangible and real because of your posts. Even though I've had two great aunts with breast cancer, your writing has made breast cancer seem more real...more personal. So, thanks for that.

I've read Donati Into the Wilderness books. Well, two of them anyway. :) So I figured I had a better than even chance I was going to like this TIED TO THE TRACKS as well.

Giselle, thanks for the recipe. I do have some chicken breast and plenty of veggies so I may give this a try. The only thing is I made a chicken pasta salad already and I don't know if that's too much chicken in such a short period of time. However, it's good to have on hand for the rest of this blistering summer.

I thought about the same thing with kids in car seats. No way I'd leave my child. Even an older child in a seat belt. How do you get them out especially if they are so scared? Awful, awful, awful.

4:22 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home