A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ashes, Smoke and Headaches

As many of you know by now all the SoCal bloggers are accounted for and okay. Interestingly we are all impacted to varying degrees by the fires because they are all around us. It's hard not to have so much focus on the fires when the very air you breathe is so horrible. The sooty air is a constant reminder of what everyone is going through. The fire that most likely was set by an arsonist is directly affecting thousands of people.

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. Please send some of those prayers out to Rowena. She reported in today that her sister-in-law's mother and grandmother lost their homes in San Diego. I can't even imagine it.

Thank God, and I do, most of us still have our homes but everyone living in Southern California will be affected for weeks to come by these fires. For one thing is the very air you are trying to breathe sucks. There's just no way to describe how sickening it is. The least of problems is like the horrendous headache I have that nothing I've taken or done for it seems to help. The worst of it is for the many people who have respiratory related illnesses or conditions. This ashy smoky air makes it very difficult for them to breathe. My nieces who both have pretty severe asthma are just miserable and exhausted from the strain and stress of trying to filter this garbage and breathe.

More people with respiratory problems needing help puts a greater strain on our already stressed emergency services. It's a vicious circle.
Our local schools muddled through the day today, but have closed tomorrow hoping that winds and/or rain will come through and help clear some of this out. Never thought I'd be wishing for wind. Wouldn't you know today the air has been still as can be. Not a flutter of a breeze any where. Anyway we are all hoping it will be better on Monday for the kids to get back to school.

I've taken a page out Wendy's book and GG is out right now trying to buy us an air purifier. I've got my fingers crossed. My silver lining is that while Shmoo has a red and irritated throat his allergies haven't kicked up. Me with a headache from hell and Shmoo with an allergy flare up are a recipe for disaster.

I'm flouncing my irritated self into my room with a very large glass of ice water and my Anne Stuart book. Thank God for books. They're a great distraction even with a headache.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenster said...

I can't even imagine, Rosie. I remember the cars being covered with ashes when the mountains would have their wildfires, but we never had to deal with anything close to what you guys are dealing with now.

You are all in my prayers!

5:19 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

Hope GG has luck finding an air purifier. I keep praying that these fires will end soon.

9:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

So how did the air purifier hunt go? My problem is I keep leaving my apartment! I woke up this morning feeling fine, and by the time I got to work my headache, sinus congestion and general bad mood were all back.

12:38 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jen, truthfully? I shouldn't be such a whiner. There are certainly people who have it worse than me. That smoke makes you crazy though and hence my wanking on last night.

Dev, GG did find a purifier. Thank goodness. I still had somewhat of a headache but it did help.

Wendy, we got the purifier. As I mentioned to Dev I still had somewhat of a headache, so I stupidly thought the purifier wasn't helping that much. Then I went outside to go to work this morning. Holy moly! The purifier was definitely helping. We've got wind blowing this afternoon and I've actually spotted a bit of blue sky today. I'm hoping the worst is behind us.

3:42 PM PDT  
Blogger ReneeW said...

How awful, Rosie. That smoke is so bad for everyone, even without respiratory ailments. I'm glad you got the air purifier. That damn smoke permeates everything and takes a long time to dissipate. I have read so many stories on the internet that have let me in tears. You are in my prayers. Take care.

4:59 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, it's been better the last 24 hours. We even went swimming yesterday since the park & rec pool was open again. Still not much wind to blow it through, but that's good for the people still fighting the fires. My brother goes out today (Sunday) in fact.

10:07 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home