A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

What a couple of days...


Well the fire station is officially open. I was on my feet for 8 hours straight yesterday fueled by adrenalin, bottled water, the energy of hordes of people and pride. It was just a great day. There was rain the night before making many people anxious about the event being too wet to be outside. Fortunately we awoke to a brilliantly blue skied day full of warm Fall sunshine. The opening ceremony was appropriately moving and patriotic and thankfully not too long winded. Considering a mayor, fire board president, general contractor, and state assemblyman all spoke it's nothing short of a miracle. It was all said and done in like 40 minutes.

We estimate we had about 2500-3000 people come through. We were prepared for twice that number. It was a good turn out but still a manageable sized crowd. Did I mention fun? There was a great swing band, fire engine rides, health fair (the station is in a over 55 community), Sparky the fire dog, a ballonist, and hot dogs. Can you get more all American than that? At one point around noon all the red topped tables were full. The tables were surrounded by helium filled red and blue balloons and the brand new bright green grass was filled with small children dancing, cavorting and cart wheeling. It was like looking at a Norman Rockwell painting.

In case you are wondering how one little fire department can afford all that, we didn't and can't. We had business sponsorship and contributions.

After a week of writing a couple hundred thank you letters I'm hoping to settle in to the nitty gritty of my regular work again. Although since our area has grown substantially in the last five years rumor has it that a new fire station is in the works. Which means my boss will be the project manager again putting it all together with architects, contractors, and partnerships/sponsors from the private business sector. Since this all touches on different jobs I've had in the past so I'm sort of excited about it.

Lucky you. You'll probably get to hear all about it.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

Congrats, Rosie! Sounds like it was a great time. And what a turnout :D

3:31 PM PDT  
Blogger Daphne said...

Wow, sounds like the event was a success and fun too! As soon as I read, big band swing I was like awww I'm jealous. When you said it was like a Norman Rockwell painting, I could totally picture that in my head.

Soooo, are there any cute firemen I might wanna meet? =)

7:35 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Sounds like it was fun :D Cool for you Rosie :D by the way, when are you going to Vegas?

6:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, thanks. The turnout was great and people were amazed by the state of the art fire station.

Daphne, there are cute, very cute fire fighters, but they are all currently taken. However, we are in the process of hiring some new FFs to fill slots left by the people moving to the new station. I'll keep you posted! =)

Nath, I was sort of surprised how fun it was after all the work... We go to Vegas the weekend of November 2-4. Why? You gonna be there? Let me know.

10:28 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

hey, Rosie... just curious... no I'm not going to be there :P I just keep expecting you to be gone on your trip every week... LOL I'm dreading it, because I like to read your blog :P

4:44 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath you always say the sweetest things to me. Maybe I'll do live updates from Vegas. I can post from my phone so maybe I'll give it a shot.

8:28 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Congratulations on such a great turn out and it sounds like it was really fun!

And live updates!! Super cool!

CindyS

10:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thanks Rosie. Good lookin out. Need help deciding who to hire? Hehe

8:49 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home