A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

BOO!



So name your poison. Do you decorate your home for fall? How about Halloween? Much of my extended family and relatives live in Montana. Heck my Dad lives there most of the year. Up in Montana where they can get snow as early as August people go all out with the Halloween decorations. Well they seem to in the parts of the state where I have family. I'm talking about the sorts of decorating people do here in So Cal for Christmas. It's awesome and it's inspiring.

I love autumn. It's the beginning of the holiday season. We have Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November and Christmas in December. January seems so anti-climatic after that doesn't it? I'm going to try and convice the SoCal blogger chicks to get together in January. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting together sooner, but I definitely would go for a January gathering. I always have the doldrums in January.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to talk about here is fall and decorating. So do you decorate? Do you do an all encompassing autumn theme or is it strictly the spooky stuff for Halloween? I've done both. I usually try to put some stuff up the first week in October. We are terribly lax this year and except for some exceptionally pretty bright yellow giant marigolds in my front flower beds there's not a fall decoration in sight.

GG promised me we'll get some stuff up this weekend. I've got pumpkin lights. We string them across our front porch. Those will go up and my door wreathe. I made it two or three years ago and will pull it out and see if it can withstand one more year on the front door. The wind is horrendous this time of year so outside decorations really take a beating.

Anyway, that's what's going on in my neck of the woods. I'm feeling nostalgic and in a holiday frame of mind. BTW, the photo at the top is available as a wallpaper. Guess what's on my desktop now?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I get nostalgic for autumn. It just ain't the same here in So. Cal. But now, I don't really decorate. I'm always too lazy to dig the stuff out of the storage closet....

6:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

The only holiday I ever used to decorate for was Christmas ~ now I don't even do that. It's just me and it's just too much work. I still love the season, I just let my inner scrooge come out.

7:19 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

I love autumn - I just got back from a long walk with my doggie. It's the colors - the light - the fresh air - the Halloween decorations, lol.
I have to find some pumkins - not easy here!

7:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

I love Fall - the colors, the clothes, everything! I don't decorate, but I am having a Halloween party this year. :)

9:28 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

We decorate for halloween. I like cute not-so-scary and hubby likes gross, graveyard limbs type stuff. So the result is some kind of crazy mix of the two. We have cute Mickey Mouse pumpkins and a bloody arm right next to each other. It looks like our house was set upon by some crazed drunk with ADD.

After Halloween I put up Fall decor. I love Fall it's my fave time of year. Unfortunately for me I live in Florida where there are two seasons Hot and Hot-as-Balls. I long to live someplace where the weather changes. BTW I love the pic I have one similar on my desktop.

2:06 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, Nesting is just not my thing. I had to smile when I read this. I was a military brat growing up. My Mom would unpack and put stuff on walls so fast your head would spin and then the next three years we lived in a place we'd move the stuff around. About the time she liked where it all was we'd move again.

As a result, I'm a nester. I love the cycle of the seasons and the holidays and like to celebrate them. I'm not psycho crazy like the lady across the street from my aunt who has wooden geese she dresses in different outfits (no sh*t!) each month, but I like to do some seasonal things.

Wendy, as I've gotten older I do less. But I really like the stuff I do put out.

Dev, you probably have family and friends to visit who do decorate to get your fix. Am I right?

Sam, wow, go figure. See? We get so used to our traditions it never occurred to me that pumpkins might not be something that there's much of in France. Do they make stuff with pumpkin in it? I don't remember seeing anything in the bakeries when I was there.

Jodi, big party? Any particular theme? Are you making everyone wear costumes?

Giselle, we used to have an autumn and scary ADD look around here when the boys were younger. They take less an interest these days so my decorations are mostly autumn-y. We do have a tradition of buying about 4-6 pumpkins. Then the boys invite their girlfriends over for dinner and we have a pumpkin carving party sort of. Sometimes other family comes too. I'm looking forward to it this year. Mostly because all is bliss (this week anyway) on the girlfriend front so it should be fun.

10:12 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home