A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

North and South - Part Deux


So the long awaited DVD arrived. NORTH AND SOUTH the BBC version was in my mailbox yesterday afternoon. Okay I exaggerate when I say long awaited because it was really only a week, but it seemed like a long time waiting and checking the mailbox. Of course I had to watch it right away. Which means dinner last night was comprised of sandwiches and fruit.

I enjoyed the 4-hour mini series greatly. My only wish was for Richard Armitage to have more screen time. Talk about brooding! Whew! I don't think there's a woman alive that wouldn't react to that intensity. I gotta go find what else he's been in.

Aside from the longing looks and subtle love story this is also a history lesson about the industrial revolution in England and the beginnings of changes in the class system. I'll be watching it again soon to catch stuff I might have missed the first time around.

If you like period pieces, costume drama, and romance you might like this one.

Final thought for Mondays...why am I still watching HEROES?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

*clapping hands in delight*
You got it! And you watched it! And liked it!
Wasn't he just so full of repressed seething passion in this role?
It's even much better watching it a second time. Then you get to pay more attention to the smaller details - the way he stares at her during the dinner they hold, when he looses his cool and says he no longer fas a passion for her - when you know he does, the scene when she is leaving Milton and he's standing there watching her and tells her to look back, to look back at him or the scene where he is so exhausted he falls asleep at his desk and his mother covers him up. And then of course the final scene at the train station when she is talking and he just watches her talking. Then his anguish when he thinks she is going back to London and then sees her reflection.
And the story is fascinating too - the struggle between rich and poor and the growing friendship between Thornton and Higgins.
The whole series was marvelous!!! Simply marvelous.
And for a completely different role, there are some good YouTube clips on The Vicar of Densby (or something) where he plays a comical role. The proposal scene is hilarious and romantic at the same time. And of course he's currently playing Guy of Gisbourne in Robin Hood. I looked at getting the first season but it was pretty expensive - but my he makes a fine villain!
Now the only reason I'm not rapturing more is I have to get ready for work!

3:46 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put this on reserve at the library! I had to cancel one of my other reserves but after reading Dreaming of You and being half way through Devil in Winter....I'm up for a period piece! I'm number one on the list, hopefully it won't be long!

6:13 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

I'm going to have to go check that one out. I've always heard good things about it, but have never seen it.

12:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

Okay ~ I think I may need to get this. Between you and Kristie, I just want to watch :-)

2:24 PM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

I'm impatiently waiting for my copy. After seeing those clips on Kristie's blog I just HAD to have it! And I'm working on a heroes mini rant right now.

6:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie,...when he looses his cool and says he no longer fas a passion for her... *swoon* Was that smoldering and sooooo passionate or what? And, it happens so fast! I won't be able to watch it again for awhile just because real life is pretty busy right now, but I will soon!

Mollie, the four hours go by so fast...at least I thought so. And Kristie is right there's a lot more story than just these two people.

Zeek, I love Kevin McKidd. That voice... Sadly, I haven't watched the program. My brother that lives in SF loves the show though and told me to watch.

Becky, email me, you can borrow ours if you'd like. RnG1180@aol.com

Dev, check the clips on YouTube. Lovely.

Giselle, I know I was waiting for mine for what seemed like forever and then I went online and realized I got it in like a week. It worse than kids waiting for Christmas.

7:36 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home