A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole



























One of the topics of discussion at the SoCal bloggers lunch was about what an ancient vampire/werewolf/fae would see in a modern day woman/man with barely any life experience. What would they talk about? A being who has been alive for several hundred years would have seen and experienced a lot.

Now I'm a curious person and I've learned a lot of different things, experienced a lot of different things in the last 10 years. When I multiply that by 10 or 30 I think about all the stuff I might have seen, done and learned. After so much time would I find a conversation with someone several hundred years younger than me interesting? What might attract me to a person so much younger and with so much less life experience...besides the obvious of course. After the sex, assuming THAT was the main attraction, what would you talk about? When the novelty of the sex wears off is it possible to span an age gap of centuries and have a real and balanced relationship?

Coincidentally, I'd begun this post before reading WICKED DEED ON A WINTER'S NIGHT by Kresley Cole. I didn't know that I was going to be reading a book that actually addresses this very issue. I don't want to give the impression the topic is given a lot of time in the story, but it was refreshing that it was dealt with at all. I've never read a book (that I remember) where the couple actually made jokes about the age difference. Where the author directly points out that perhaps 23 years old is a tad green for someone 1200 years old. Or the reverse that someone 1200 years old, and bitter about what life has dished out, is too old and cynical for a modern day 23 year old.

Obvious obstacles like music, POV and technology are at least acknowledged. While the book doesn't get into the nitty gritty of these things in any great detail it was refreshing to have it recognized and discussed in an entertaining way.

Yes, Bowen the Bitter MacRieve is Lykae and Mariketa the Awaited is a witch. Yes, there are elements of the "you are my mate" thing going on, but it didn't stop me from enjoying a tale about two people with a huge age gap, trust issues, and who are cross species to boot. Aside from the annoying Scottish brogue written into the dialogue I was engrossed and amused by this book. You can read an excerpt here.

If you've liked the previous entries in Ms. Cole's Immortals After Dark series, you'll like this one too. I know I did.

The books in order are:

A Hunger Like No Other
No Rest for the Wicked
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

OK, the Scottish brogue thing completely did me in on A Hunger Like No Other. Hated it. Plus, the whole cross-species thing, when it only happens once in forever, yet they are all falling in love with each other all over the place across species drove me crazy. 'Nuff said. Although I thought the first one was fairly well written, it didn't grab me and give me the urge to read more. Then again, we all know how I feel about paranormals, LOL. Guess I'm not afraid to show it *g*

10:48 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori,the brogue bugged the crap out of me too. It's so unnecessary. OTOH, I was entertained by this one and considering I've been in a paranormal slump lately that's saying something.

10:52 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm so IN!! I need to get this book pronto! I think the younger person would get the better end of the deal - they could say 'hey, you remember the Civil War' and the elder would say 'do I!'. The elder on the other hand might get bored ;)

Course, my Bob is twelve years older and I just help to keep him young ;)

CindyS

1:54 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Okay that is soooo great :D I'm so glad I have that book at home waiting for me :D

4:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, you know sometimes it's hard for me to write a review because I want to say this book isn't like a DIK classic, but an enjoyable and easy read and hope people know what I mean. Know what I mean?

Nath, yeah I saw this on your shopping spree and decided to go to my fave Borders. I had Borders bucks to spend! :) There it was. Fun read.

6:38 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

I've been on the fence about these. I haven't read Kresley Cole before, so I may just have to start with the first in the Immortals series and see how it goes. I'm always up for adding more books to the dreaded TBR pile.

7:26 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

You can read as a stand alone. However there are references that are part of the previous books (#2 in particular) It's a 50/50 sort of thing I think.

2:49 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

And that's my problem with 99% of the paranormals out there. I just can't believe that the big, bad vampire (or whatever) that has lived for 2000 years is going to fall hopelessly in love with some dim-bulb, bubble-headed 20-something with the brains of a cabbage.

*Big Hearty Sigh* and if memory serves that whole discussion was sparked when I mentioned how much I loathed The Dark Highlander by KMM and poor Rowena almost passed out from the shock :D

I have heard good things about Cole, but gotta say that the Scottish brogue thing gets on my last good nerve.....

3:03 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, I do believe you were the one who instigated that conversation. I was delighted to see it addressed here and mostly in a humorous way much like your comments. I love when an author takes on the obvious.

3:07 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Cole did a good job of addressing the (many) year difference between Bowen and Mari -- and I liked it when Mari teased Bowen with it, too.

Unfortunately, this book was not as much of a hit for me as the others in the series, but IMO the world building is strong enough to keep me engrossed in the series overall.

3:07 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Hi Robin! This is what's great about reading. We are both enjoying the series but I think this book got back on track from the first book and you didn't like it as well as the two others. Kaderin and Sebastian weren't that interesting to me. Or maybe it was the Hie competition that wasn't that interesting to me. But I enjoyed this one.

3:19 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

8:09 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home