A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

The New Year Begins

So far I've started BLOOD DREAMS by Kay Hooper and was so freaked out by the introduction of the serial killer that I only read about 50 pages. In my defense, it was dark, windy and rainy outside and I was alone in the house... Sheesh! I felt like one of those teen aged babysitters in a slasher movie. You know where the blond teeny bopper is checking windows and doors to be sure they are locked because she's spooked by the house making strange noises? Uh yeah. That one. Then instead of hiding blondie opens the door to the basement and some freak-o slaughters her before the opening credits have finished. Seriously, that's the creepy feeling I reading this book. It was that good.

Obviously since I've enjoyed many other books by Ms. Hooper, particularly the Bishop books, I'll be returning to this one in the near future. So I put BLOOD DREAMS aside and decided to pick up a book that was an impulse buy. It's a Silhouette Desire by Catherine Mann titled THE EXECUTIVE'S SURPRISE BABY. First of all I made a cardinal boo-boo because the book is part of an extensive series about one family. So that sorta sucked. Secondly, I couldn't help compare it's fluffiness to the meatier (and scarier) BLOOD DREAMS. TESB wasn't the worst book I've ever read, just very light and without very much characterization. It left me feeling very unsatisfied.

So what did I do next? I decided to re-read something. I've been mentioning SHADES OF TWILIGHT by Linda Howard in so many of my comments the last few months that I decided to close my eyes to my 4-tub tbr and just go ahead and re-read SOT. I started last night and I'm more than halfway through already. Still love that story. Since it's rainy and gloomy here today I think I'll save the errands for tomorrow. I'm going to stay in, do some laundry and read.

Gotta go now. GG is in the kitchen making us waffles because I had a hankering for them. Gotta love a man who reads romance, watches romance and makes you waffles. He sounds gay doesn't he? Shhhhhh...don't tell him I said that. He also claims he reads my blog almost every day. Pfffft! Yeah, right!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

Haven't read "Shades of Twilight" yet ~ all add that to my LH backlist of books that must be read :-)

4:17 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

OMG - you are so funny! I wish my hubby would make waffles but he acts dumb whenever he gets around the kitchen area. I know he can cook because he did so before we were married. Seems he's had a head injury since then ;)

You know, I don't think I've ever read a book that's scared me that way but then if I start to get antsy I put the book down. Movies? Scare the pants off me - I watch them through my fingers which has many people laughing. Why are you watching a movie you can't watch? Cause I like the idea. I'm thinking I'll be covering my eyes in I Am Legend when I finally get to see it but I'm intrigued despite myself.

Now those blood and gore movies, forget about it. I don't even care to try.

Geez, I can take anything and end up somewhere completely different.

My Bobby only likes comedies and romantic comedies are the best. I try not to tell too many people about that ;)

CindyS

9:05 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, I finished it yesterday afternoon. I just love that book. Even knowing the story so well I still enjoy that book. I think Roanna is an interesting and complex character. Of course she's way too invested in Webb...freakishly so, but even knowing the shortcomings of the story I like it. True dat!

Cindy YOU think I'm funny? I snort and stutter and laugh out loud at your posts all the time.

Yeah curious isn't it how our men who lived on their own kept their houses fairly clean and neat (I said "fairly"), cooked and did laundry suddenly develop amnesia once they are married. Although my sisters roll their eyes at me all the time because GG does help quite a bit.

Me and scary movies don't work so good. I've been known to put a coat over my head, cover my eyes and ears at the same time and my personal favorite after paying almost $9 to see a flick is leave the movie theater completely.

For some reason a scary book isn't usually a problem for me, but BLOOD DREAMS just hit at the right time I guess. I'll be picking it up and reading for sure. I really like Kay Hooper.

11:46 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie!

I hope you enjoy Blood Dreams! I did :) is it me, or her books are getting more and more gory? I wasn't scare when I read the book, but I have to say, wow!! I would if it had been dark and raining... I lent Hunting Fear to one of my friend... she loved it, but had nightmares ^^;

and I love Shades of Twilight too!

4:06 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, I know I'll read BLOOD DREAMS because as I've mentioned, I love those Bishop books, but for some reason I really got spooked the other night. So, yeah, I think she's gotten a bit more gory.

Glad to know I have a fell SHADES OF TWILIGHT fan out there!

11:12 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home