A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, January 04, 2008

2007 - The Year in Books

The magic number is...244. Yes I apparently read 244 book in 2007. The big month for reading was January with 39 books. I had a couple of other 30+ months, but by and large my book reading is between 15 and 20 books a month. A much more reasonable number.

Even though 2006 was the first year I kept an actual list of books I've read, I know for the last several years I've read 4 to 5 books a week. With 15 to 20 books a month being an average it seems I'm continuing with that trend.

The great thing about a book list is having a diary of what you read. Trust me when I tell you I would never remember all the books I read without that list. I only wish I'd started doing this sooner. Don't even get me started on that subject. Anyway, it was great fun looking the list over and re-living some of my reading experiences from 2007.

I decided almost immediately that culling out a top ten was too much work. I have 20 books here. That's 20 out 244. My 20 are less than 10% of the books I read this year so I think it's a reasonable list. I have both Evermore by Lynn Viehl and The Last Twilight by Marjorie Liu on my list and they are both technically 2008 releases. So sue me. I read them in 2007 so I figured they are eligible for my list.

September was my best reading month with several reads in succession rating very high mostly thanks to Elizabeth Hoyt. I read quite a few historicals this year especially if you count the westerns.

So here are my faves of 2007...


January The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

February Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

March Night in Eden by Candice Proctor

April Dirty & Broken by Megan Hart
Sullivan by Linda Devlin (Part of the Rock Creek Six series)

May Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

June Demon Moon by Meljean Brook
Menage by Emma Holly

July High Noon by Nora Roberts

August Dangerous Lover by Lisa Marie Rice
A Reason to Believe by Maureen McKade

September Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh
Gossamer by Rebecca Hagan Lee
Serpent Prince & Leopard Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

October Evermore by Lynn Viehl
Ice Storm by Anne Stuart

November A Gentle Rain by Deborah Smith

December The Last Twilight by Marjorie M. Liu



Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Great list - all those books look like keepers to me!

1:40 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

I have to do this Rosie. I've done it everywhere else. Ready?

Yay! Meljean!

:)

6:00 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

It's nice to know that some of my recommendations didn't suck LOL

And gah! I still have to read the new Deborah Smith.

6:49 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam, well, they are keepers on my bookshelf. You know the shelves that are already bulging?

lisabea go right ahead and cheer all you like...I'll be standing right next to you. Meljean's books are amazing. Can't wait for Ethan and Charlie's book.

Wendy, aw, SL, we are frequently simpatico when it comes to books particularly when it comes to westerns and erotica. Now, that's interesting, isn't it?

6:55 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

Charlie is a real heartbreaker, but she's also a tough cookie. I adored her.

I have a thing for Meljean's heroines, don't I?

7:12 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

You read more books in the month of January than I did all year long. That slump really did me in.

8:27 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your journal, you are such an inspiration for me to get back into my romance novels, and the other books I read!

9:49 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Those are some good books you got in last year. I have some good reading ahead of me! LOL

And 244 is a very respectable number. :P

11:08 AM PST  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

All I can say to this post is **down on bended knee** I am not worthy, I am not worthy!

I love how Ames said "244 is a very respectable number." Ames, you book reading snob! Hahahaha!

2:03 PM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Well I didn't want to gush! LOL Because I'm in awe. :P I didn't read that many.

2:09 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea for a post! I kept track through Goodreads.com, but I haven't gone back to add up all the books I read. Not even close to 244, I bet! I usually read about 1-2 books a week, I'd guess, although on a good day I've been known to crank out a whole book or, on even rarer occasions, two.

5:19 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, aw shucks...

lisabea, so what you are saying is that you've read the book already?!! Man, I'm jealous.

Dev, it's only numbers. You do what you can do and from your reviews you've enjoyed several of the books you've read.

Askita, hey, welcome to NOBODY ASKED ME... I can't believe I've been reading for more than 30 years and just started keeping track of the books in 2006. It's lots of fun.

Ames, I really do enjoy reading people's stats and lists, but I don't feel competitive about it. I just think it's fun. Like the blogger meet ups we've had.

Jodi, thank you??? :)

Booklady, goodreads.com? Wow, I've never heard of that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks. Oh, and thanks for stopping by too.

6:54 PM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

You must be a really fast reader, Rosie! Sheesh. I haven't been keeping a diary, but I thought I was pulling a pretty good pace buying a stack of books at the beginning of each month and blowing through them at the speed of one every day or two...wowzers!

I'm going to keep track this year. In fact, there is a feature on LibraryThing(.com) where you can enter the date you began and finished reading each book, places for comments, etc. Fun stuff!

11:44 PM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

I was over at Bam's one day...and I won the book. I thought I'd won the friggin lottery I was so excited.

That Charlie-girl is my fav. kind of heroine because she's been around the block, made a lot of mistakes, and she's tough as nails but still unbelievably vulnerable.

7:19 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Holy Cow! You are a reading machine! I'm in awe. Do you read outside of romance? I'm in Slumpville and the road signs are all torqued up. Can't find my way out and thought maybe something completely different was in store.

CindyS

9:09 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky, My guess is that you are going to be surprised at how many books you read. 244 books is about 4.5 books a week. If you read a book say every two days that's 3+ books a week. It adds up fast.

Lisabea, man you lucky ducky. That is one book I'm really anxious for. It was on my list of 12 for 2008.

Cindy, uh, yeah, nope...I don't read much outside the romance genre. I am a sucker for those POST SECRET books though. I read the website every Sunday. Click on the link on my sidebar and check it out.

11:39 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home