A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Oscar goes to...

As noted in years past I usually am all over the Academy Awards. I print sample ballots, we vote, eat snacks and cheer on our favorites. This year I could barely maintain enough interest to stay awake and watch. Beanie went out to save the world at a friend's house which is code for playing video games and Shmoo was on a date. There sat GG and I with our steamed veggies and halibut. Call me crazy, but somehow, glitz, glitter and glamour is not the same with steamed veggies as it is with nachos.

Jon Stewart who is a fave in our household was not that funny. None of the nominees were particularly interesting. Oh the woes! Of course not having seen the majority of the nominated films may have had a teeny tiny bit to do with it. Maybe. We still want to see THERE WILL BE BLOOD, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and MICHAEL CLAYTON for instance. I don't think any of these were in our local theater more than two weekends. *sigh* Our multiplex has a tendency to cater to the 18-25 year olds.

GG is a big fan of Daniel Day Lewis so he was happy to see him win and has vowed we will be seeing THERE WILL BE BLOOD in the very near future.

I was glad to see Diablo Cody win for her JUNO script and surprised how humble and sweet she was in her acceptance speech. If you've seen any of her interviews you know she marches to the beat of her own drum and is quite an original.

All in all a bit of a dud.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I watched for the music ~ other than that, *meh* ~ I guess the TV was on, but I just didn't pay attention. I just don't care that much.

6:58 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

I thought 2007 was a pretty ho-hum year for movies. Nothing really wow'ed me. I did like Sweeney Todd more than I was expecting too, but only because I'm not a huge fan of musicals and my BFF dragged me out to see it over the holidays. I did love The Bourne Ultimatum, but that's not exactly the kind of movie the Academy would think about nominating outside of the boring technical categories.

7:07 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, weren't you glad that Irish song from "Once" won? I sure was. It was a great song and I loved the woman's acceptance speech.

Wendy, we enjoyed Sweeney Todd too but I really didn't think it was Oscar worthy. We are big Bourne fans here and loved Ultimatum. It's odd to think of it having 2 (or is it 3) Academy Awards and they are all sound related. Freeeeeaky! It will show up constantly on TV movie lists as "Oscar Movie Week" from here on out.

7:55 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

I've never been a fan of the Oscars... I think that the award ceremony has never been representative of what's really out there, in movie theaters. I don't know anyone in my entourage who have watched all the movies nominated... Half of them doesn't ring a bell with me.

Anyway, from what I heard, the show wasn't great and perhaps, they should have just skipped over it.

4:56 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, after checking around the neighborhood yesterday I don't think very many people liked it all that much this year. Most surprising is that hardly anyone saw any of the movies this year. I include myself in that company which says something because I love movies.

6:58 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

I was the same - I do like to watch the opening and ending of the Oscars. All that stuff for lighting, sound whatever - not my thing. I didn't even bother this year and like you I really like Jon Stewart.

I recently saw Michael Clayton and I can truly say there was only one scene that would have put Clooney on the radar and even then, I knew it wasn't the performance of the year. The woman who won though, WOW, she blew me away.

I want to see Juno but I'm worried all the hype will now ruin it for me and I'll probably see the others. Depends on how depressing they are ;)

CindyS

5:46 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, I understand completely your concern that Juno has been over hyped and couldn't possibly live up to your heightened expectations. However, the script in this movie is really very good. I think you'll like it.

6:34 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home