A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

January Reading List

Here it is. Finally. You'd think with as few entries as I have that it wouldn't have been such a trial getting this done closer to the end of January. However, I had a stack of books I'd finished on a shelf next to my bed. Turns out there were some books for my tbr in there as well along with some December reads I hadn't put away. How this happened I don't know. I have a procedure damn it! Read the book, log the book, put the book away. Mixing book piles just isn't supposed to happen. *sigh* Things like this are what make me feel like I'm in a fog sometimes.

I know I read another (maybe two even) ebooks that I've had for awhile, but I looked at my ebook files and can't remember what they were besides the Jory Strong book listed. They didn't leave much of an impression so I guess...no harm, no foul.

THE EXECUTIVE'S SURPRISE BABY by Catherine Mann. This is part of the Garrison Family series. It is also a return to category romance for me after a long dry spell. The title says it all. This wasn't horrible, but I have to admit I did some eye rolling. Lori of Let's Gab has rec'd Ms. Mann's SEAL books and I have a couple of those in my tbr. I didn't hate this, so I'm still going to give the SEAL books a try.

SHADES OF TWILIGHT by Linda Howard. What can I say that you haven't already heard? I really like this book. I love the multi-generations in the book. I understand selflessness and devotion to family. I hadn't read it for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed the re-read.

SPLIT by Kristina Lloyd. This is a Black Lace title and I gave Ms. Lloyd a try because Bam had raved about a couple of her other books. I have to say I didn't really like this or "get it". I hate when I feel like a writer is being deliberately clever to see if we are all bright enough to get her point. I felt annoyed and impatient with the heroine. I couldn't believe how deliberately obtuse she was and how long it took her to catch on to what was happening to her.

MOVING TARGET by Cheyenne McCray. This is a book I really wanted to like. The best I can say is that it was okay. I didn't hate it. When the heroine who is in Witness Protection makes a phone call as herself to someone in her past early on in the book I knew the story was in hot water. If you are so terrorized and terrified for your life that you leave everything behind why would you do something like that? I didn't buy the reasoning we were given. People died as a result of her "mistake". I think that the reader (and the characters) should have had more of an emotional impact and reaction to the events that followed the phone call. Bummer.

EMBER by Bettie Sharpe. Lots of people out in blogland were raving about this free serial by Bettie Sharpe that was posted by chapter over several weeks on Bam's blog. I waited until it was complete before I read it. This is an imaginative re-telling and explanation of the Cinderella story. Hence the 'ember' rather than the 'cinder'. I have to confess that I'm not much for mixing fairy tales and romance. While I can acknowledge Ms. Sharpe's writing talent and clever twisting of this tale, it just wasn't my cuppa. Another okay read for me.

CALISTA'S MEN by Jory Strong. This is an ebook from Ellora's Cave I've had forever. I read it when I first bought it. I liked it a lot the first time I read it. It's an erotic read about a shy kindergarten teacher who tries her hand at being a PI, meets two brothers and falls in love with both of them. Murder, mystery, and menage ensue. Fun read if you are in the mood for something steamy. Ms. Strong does fairly well making emotional connections that help the reader connect to the story, but don't go looking for reality here.

MINE TO POSSESS by Nalini Singh. I'm just tossing my hat in the ring with everyone else. I love reading a book that hits all the right notes. As you move through Ms. Singh's story she answers question and expands her Psy-Changeling world before the reader is aware that you wanted or needed that bit of information. Can series writing just get better and better? Yes! I love this world. I'm still intrigued and interested and can't wait for the next book. That's the best endorsement I can give any series.

DEMON NIGHT by Meljean Brook. Complex and compelling were the two words that popped into my head when I finished this book. I have a confession to make. I didn't know I was starving for something like this until I read DEMON ANGEL. I can't remember when I've gone back and re-read portions of a book before I've finished it. Every time I read a book in this series I find myself daydreaming and wondering about the possibilities of this world. I do a lot of "what if..." As with Ms. Singh's books I care about the people and they certainly seem very real to me.

So that's it. Unbelievably, only 8 books in January. At this rate I won't even hit 100 this year. But you know what? That's okay. Since my reading time has been so curtailed I'm really making an effort to read stuff I really care about and allow myself to enjoy re-reading something if I want to.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

See, I admire you. I do like Cathy Mann's military romances, but much as I like her, I could never bring myself to buy a book with that title. Just Ick.

I have no idea how many books I read anymore. I lasted 3 months last year logging them.

10:31 PM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

If it's any consolation - you did better than me! I only read 5 books in January. Compare that to a few years ago when I'd read about 15 books a month. The trouble with this is my BUYing of books has increased - thus making the TBR pile grow at a rather alarming rate!

3:29 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie!!

8 is good considering you've been working so much and you have a family to take care :D It's just too bad that most of the books you've read didn't sound great... except for Mine to Possess and Demon Night!

by the way, didn't you just re-read Shades of Twilight before New year? or is time already blurring in my mind and you post about it in January?

5:57 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, *sigh* sometimes I long for the days of blissful ignorance. But now that I log my books I do like looking back on what I've read especially so I don't buy the same book twice and stuff like that.

Kristie, my average was still about 15-20 books a month last year with January being a huge month with 30 books. I'm okay with 8 books. Heck that's 2 a week.

Nath, my big stumbling block in January was a the special project for work that I was working on at home for a little over a week. It was a time sucker to be sure. Then I had to catch up on everything at work (and home) that I'd let go.

Lots of work hours isn't going to go away and I've had demanding jobs before, but I was *clears throat* a bit younger. :)

You had me going with SHADES OF TWILIGHT...especially since I had mixed up my reading piles. Anyway I went back to read my January posts and found that I posted I started it on January 5th. It does seem like a long time ago in some respects, doesn't it?

6:46 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

'I didn't hate it'. You kill me. I'm reading that and thinking, PASS!

I have Mine to Possess to read but I'm coming to realize I really am in a slump and not just in a 'fairytale' slump. One that would be cured by an auto-buy author having a book out.

Yeah. Boo hoo for me ;)

You did well, considering you read books that didn't work that well.

Cindys

5:10 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, you know I didn't even think about the 'meh' factor of my January reads until you and Nath mentioned in the comments. What a month. I have to say I'm off to a better start in February.

6:35 PM PST  
Blogger Gigi said...

You're way ahead of me. I've only read a book and a half so far. The half was Balogh's atrocious Devil's Web. BTW, The Executive's Surprise Baby??? Wahahhahahha. Gotta love it. Who comes up with such craptastic titles, I wonder.

6:51 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Ugh, see! my memory is horrible and I really have difficulty keeping track of time. For me, last month is like 2 months ago... that's why keeping a booklog comes in sooo handy. Well as long as you re-enjoyed Shades of Twilight, it's good :P

4:24 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Very good! I think I finished one book in January. I thought it was two, but I realized I finished the second one on February 1. That's so lame.

8:07 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

THE EXECUTIVE'S SURPRISE BABY...this wasn't horrible, but I have to admit I did some eye rolling.

LOL! It does sound rather predictable.

10:07 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home