A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

How Rosie Got Her Groove Back

Do you really want to know? I thumbed my nose at the world, closed myself in my bedroom and finished one book and read another. I also got about 6 loads of laundry done, registered for RWA and grilled Shmoo about his plans for his date tonight.

(Side Note: No school tomorrow. New girl. They are going to go see FOOL'S GOLD. Poor schmucks.)

The book I finished was DAWN'S AWAKENING by Lora Leigh. The book I read in an afternoon was HARD TO HANDLE by Lori Foster.

Ms. Leigh's breed books have always been sort of favorites of mine so I was surprised I struggled a bit with this one. It may be the disjointed way I read it. I usually read her books in a single sitting, not so this time. I was happy that I was able to recall past characters and interlocking story lines. I love when the story progresses the Breed world and what's happening because there was certainly no new ground with the characters covered. Not to worry though. I'm still looking forward to the next book which I guess is Mercury's since there was an interesting excerpt at the back of DAWN'S AWAKENING. Although I'd rather move on to Cassandra's book now that Ms. Leigh's got me all intrigued about little Cassie (Dash and Elizabeth's daughter from ELIZABETH'S WOLF) all grown up. Who's the mystery man? Any guesses?

HARD TO HANDLE was just delightful. We revisit all the characters of the SBC, the imaginary ultimate fighting world Ms. Foster has created, in this book as well. It was entertaining and a quick read. I find it interesting that Jayne Ann Krentz has a quote on the cover with the words..."instense, edgy and hot". Entertaining? Yes. Intense? Edgy? Hot? Uh, not so much. At least I didn't find any of these characters edgy or intense. Tense maybe, but not intense. All of which takes nothing away from this being a great and fun Sunday afternoon read.

Both boys on dates and me home alone with GG and Jane Austen. What to do...what to do. I guess I could forego watching PRIDE AND PREJUDICE on PBS tonight since I have the DVD. Especially since I got the most incredible Valentine gift ever yesterday.

That crazy, wonderful, totally not romantic guy I married went into the place where I get my nails done, which is also a jewelry shop, and bought me diamond earrings yesterday. Just like that...the crazy man. Guess I have my work cut out for me giving him a suitable thank you. And before you give me what for about calling him unromantic. He hasn't been for 27 years. A wonderful loving supportative partner and mate...absolutely, but not particularly romantic. It's been fine. It's not like I didn't know this when I married him. Do you think it's the romance novels he's been reading?

Oh and all that about my groove? Yeah, it's definitely back.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Sweet! I'm not much of a Lora Leigh fan, so I'll probably not read that one, but Lori Foster's is on my list of books to read. I'm up next for it at the library. hee! I just finished an ARC of Ann Aguirre's Grimspace... OMG, SO GOOD. Will be doing a review of that soon. I'm now moving on to Mine To Possess. Can't wait to read it. All the reviews are glowing.

I'm so glad you got your groove back. :-)

6:19 PM PST  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Awww...good job, GG!!! But, shouldn't he have waited for V-Day? Unless he's like my husband who can't keep a freakin' secret to save his life! LOL

7:04 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm getting my "usual" for Valentine's Day. Chocolate and flowers. Which is fine by me - I'm hardly going to thumb my nose at Godiva! My guy tends to go all out for Christmas and birthdays - not so much V-day.

Foster works well for me in novellas, not so much in novels. I think she can write sex like nobody's business, but her characters tend to grate on me when the story is over 150 pages :)

7:53 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rosie! I kinda got sucked into Lora Leigh's world. I don't rush out to buy the books, but I do read them. I was hesitating to read this book. (I don't know why.) I just want to know if you had it to do all over again, would you read this book?

9:26 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Wow, is GG reading romance books? Diamond earrings - sweet! I'm a bit of a downer on Valentine's Day cause it all seems so forced.

Bobby can be very romantic but I think I may need to tell him he's falling down on the job ;) Too many renos, not enough Cindy time.

CindyS

10:45 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Great for you Rosie, getting back your groove! isn't that great? :) and good job GG :) I do think it's the romance novels :)

5:40 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Yay on getting your groove back!

I want to know who the mystery Breed is too. I'm all excited for Cassie's story. :P

9:33 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

..."instense, edgy and hot". Entertaining? Yes. Intense? Edgy? Hot? Uh, not so much.

Very funny, Rosie. :)

1:09 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Anne, if you've been enjoying Foster's wrestling world you'll like this one.

Jodi, I'm pretty certain it was just spontaneous partly spurred on the news we were getting a tax refund.

Wendy, don't get me started again about you and TB and his gift giving. This was an aberration for GG...not that I don't love the lug.

scooper, if you are invested in the Breed world you need to read the book because it does advance the whole Breed world story line. It's not a bad book, but the story between the two main characters is a familiar theme of Ms. Leigh's.

Cindy, yeah, GG has been reading romance for about 3-4 months now. Right now he's reading BET ME by Jennifer Crusie. He loves the humor in it.

Zeek, I'm not saying it didn't work for me so much as it's familiar ground for LL. People who read and like the Breed world need to read it for the background of the Breed world...don't you think? Also, I can't think of an author that better sets up coming books in a series than she does.

Nath,lovin' the groove. Although while I'm reading I'm not blogging much. Yikes!

Ames, I hope we don't have to wait too long for Cassie's story or to find out who her hero is. I'm thinking that Dane guy...maybe?

Lisa, gee thanks. I think everyone else is waaaay more funny than me.

7:25 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

Those must have been SOME books, GG was reading...diamond earrings?

Lucky YOU! Well, and Lucky GG, too!

Glad you got your groove back!

12:48 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home