A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's Your Impression?

Did you hear about this art theft? I read the article in the LA Times today. What a shame for everyone. I can't say why, but I don't have much hope these paintings are going to be recovered. It makes me sad. I love impressionist art.

I suppose my love comes from the influence of one of my eighth grade teachers.
Every morning Miss Halford would put up a poster of a different piece of art and had us journal about it. We could say anything. Talk about the artist, the brush strokes, the subject of the art. I've never forgotten it. I learned about Van Gogh, Cezanne, Goya, Picasso, Michelangelo, Da Vinci among others all for the first time from that teacher.

So when I was in Paris and got to go to the Musee d'Orsay and see the REAL paintings of posters I viewed as an adolescent, well, it was very emotional. Since you already know I'm a weepy kind of a gal you know I teared up. It makes me crazy that wonderful art that is there for everyone to enjoy is stolen. For money. I'm not naive. I know money rocks the world for many people. It's just so disappointing.

While I'm a bit sketchy on some of the details, I do wonder how, in this day and age, three masked guys just walk into a museum with guns on a Sunday afternoon and steal 163 million in paintings?

One does have to wonder...doesn't one? Of course I'm already creating the movie in my head and thinking up all sorts of nefarious plots and "what ifs".

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

I coulnd't read the article, so I'm not sure what happens and all. Although it's very sad about the paintings, I can't help to wonder how they pulled it off. I've always liked books with cat burglers! :)

6:54 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hey Rosie, I heard about that theft. It's so crazy!!

I love impressionist art as well. I had this great art teacher from Grade 7 to grade 12. We used to go on trips around europe together, discussing architecture, art, and music. She's so great. We're still in touch too.

9:20 AM PST  
Blogger ReneeW said...

That's so sad and infuriating at the same time. I also love impressionist art. When I was a college student we had to write a program in my computer graphics class that took any photo and used various brush stroke effects to turn it into an impressionist painting. Great fun. My favorite program I ever wrote. Someday I want to go to Europe and see the real deals.

2:17 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, me too! I'm so curious how they pulled it off in broad daylight no less.

Ames, teachers are amazing aren't they? My dearest high school teacher (drama & theater) passed away last year and we stayed in touch for over 30 years!

Renee, I know there are some horrible things going on the world, like about the women who have been sentenced to death by stoning I posted about last week, but art is such an important part of our cultural experience. It defines us in many ways.

I hope you get to Europe to see your favorites. It was an absolutely wonderful experience for us.

4:16 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home