A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Weekend that Was

I had the best reading weekend I've had in a long, long time. It was great because all I did the whole weekend long was READ!! Okay, I did shower, do a couple of loads of laundry, and prepared a very nice Sunday night dinner, but other than that it was read, read, read. I didn't even go for my Saturday swim. Can you believe that?

I read four books this weekend. The bonanza was that while varied, I really enjoyed them all. First up was MIDNIGHT RISING (excerpt) by Lara Adrian. This is the latest installment in her Midnight Breed series. It's an interesting take on vampires. In Ms. Adrian's world vamps originate from aliens who landed and were stranded here centuries ago. The castaways mate with humans and create a race of Breeds, or vampires. This particular book was Rio's story and was a competent continuance of the world building and characters.

Then I read the third book in the Guys and Daughters series
(April 08 SSE #1893) by Karen Templeton called BABY I'M YOURS (excerpt) . If you've circled the neighborhood recently you know that lots of people like Holly and SL Wendy have really liked this series. While I can't say I'm as over the moon for the books as they are, I have enjoyed them. However, this particular book was excellent. I think it was Holly who said Ms. Templeton tells a lot of story in this little category romance. She wasn't kidding.

Next, I read BLUE EYED DEVIL (excerpt) by Lisa Kleypas. This book is a contemporary romance. However I noted two striking things. For one, it's in first person, not everyone's cuppa because normally, speaking for myself, I like being in everyone's head not just one person. In Blue Eyed Devil first person didn't bother me at all. It was Haven's story to tell. Which brings me to the second thing that was a bit different for me. I was fascinated and riveted by the internal journey that Haven made in this book. I was every bit as fascinated with Haven's thoughts and choices as I was the romance. Haven's struggles aren't easy ones. I really liked that there were no pat and easy answers for her. I'm anxious to go back and read other people's reviews that I only skimmed before I read the book. I seem to remember a few people liked the book but had some problems. I'm curious to compare notes.

My final book of the weekend was PRIVATE ARRANGEMENTS (excerpt) by Sherry Thomas. I had to read this book after reading and hearing so much about it. I have to admit I was skeptical. Not because I don't read good books after there's been a lot of buzz. Nope, my worry was that I wouldn't like it because the plot involved a couple that had been married and separated for 10 years. This is not a story line I'd normally be interested in.

I'm glad I went ahead and read it. Ms. Thomas presents a unique point of view and very interesting characters. One of the things I really liked was the self-awareness the characters had about themselves. It also read like a dream. Smooth. Easy. Flowing. Frankly, I was surprised how much I liked it.


My cup runneth over when I read so many different and good books in a short period of time. It was quite the adventure this past weekend.

Now I'm in the process of deciding what I'm going to pull out of the tbr for Keishon's TBR Day this month. I'm thinking maybe an old Maureen McKade that I recently found, OUTLAW BRIDE.

Hey, what are all you guys reading for the TBR Day this month?

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

i think I am going to be reading Lady Whistledown Strikes Back.

2:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I need to devote more time to Private Arrangements. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about what I've read so far - but you're right. It does read like a dream.....

6:06 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Marg, I think I have that one in my tbr too. Hmmm...

Wendy, I don't know where you are in the book, but is Gigi irritating you? Do you feel like Camden may have over reacted? I had those moments. Just stick with it.

6:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Rosie: LOL! I'm only 30 pages into it! That's where I'm at right now - I'm not sure how I feel about these characters yet. I'll keep plugging along though, because the writing style does have a nice, easy flow to it. I read a couple of chapters yesterday and zipped right through them. I just need to get my butt in gear and READ!

8:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Rosie,
I think Baby, I'm Yours is the best of the three books, by far. Although the first two were good, they both had something that really bothered me in them. Not so with B,IY. I definitely need to pick up more if KT's work.

And I've read Lady Whistledown Strikes Back. Fabulous read. ;)

10:14 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great reads :D Better than mine :D Hmm, I should give a try to Private Arrangements...

by the way, I was able to buy the O'Reilley! Yay me! and for TBR Day, I read Touch of Evil by C.T.Adams and Cathy Clamp...

2:29 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

SL, get crackin' will ya? We need to compare notes! ;-)

Holly, BABY, I'M YOURS was very good. It's by far my fave of the three. Yeah, I picked up a couple of KT's backlist at the UBS. I want to see how I like some of her other stuff.

Nath, those two in PRIVATE ARRANGEMENTS had a very interesting dynamic. Without giving anything away, Ms. Thomas does an excellent job showing that as passionately as you love someone you can also despise them.

As for the O'Reilly books, I think you'll like them. Did you score SHAKEN AND STIRRED, the first one or the second, SEX, STRAIGHT UP?

5:55 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

I kind of read the ending of Private Arrangements already... it's just, I don't know... I'll eventually read it... I think.

I was able to score Shaken & Stirred which I'm happy... because most of the bookstores put up the new categories during mid-month and clear off the "old" ones at the same time. I guess the one I went is a bit late :P I'll proably be able to find the 2nd one easily at another bookstore :P

4:09 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, you crack me up. You "kind of" read the ending? Too funny. I wanted to read it because of the buzz and didn't know if I would like it or not. It surprised me. No worries.

I'm glad you found the first one of the O'Sullivan brothers. Those Blaze books are easy to zip through.

6:51 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this
blog loading?I'm trying to find out iif its a problem onn my end or if it's the blog.
Anyy feedback would be greatly appreciated.

5:54 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heey there! Quicfk question that's completely off topic.
Do you know how to make youhr site mobile friendly? My web site looks werird when browsing rom my
iphone 4. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be
able to resolve this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
Thanks!

12:59 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thsnks forr sharing your thoughts. I really apprfeciate your efforts and I
wiol be waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

11:44 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home