A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Yes, folks, I watched 2 hours and 45 minutes of John Adams last night on HBO so my head is still a bit in that time period.

Since I'm fascinated by the incredible confidence and strength of conviction of our founding fathers I'll continue watching the mini-series. However, if you are a viewer who needs "a little less talk and a lot more action" this series is probably not for you. It's a bit more cerebral than I was expecting and very realistic to the times. People look a bit grubby and worn around the edges as we can only imagine they actually were.

Stuff I didn't know: That John Adams was a lawyer. I knew he was a farmer. I knew he opposed slavery. I didn't know he practiced the law and revered it so.

Stuff that amazed me: Abigail Adams staying at home for months (and years) on end running the family farm and raising 4 children virtually alone. Can you imagine running a farm in the late 1770s? No slaves. The occasional hired hand. That's it. You and four children. Whenever I read about the lives of women in a prior time period I realize what a wimp I am when I complain. Abigail Adams was an incredible woman.

Standouts: Laura Linney as Abigail Adams.

Through the letters and diaries of both John and Abigail Adams we know what a close, passionate and truly devoted couple they were. A true partnership in every sense of the word. It is also evident how much John valued Abigail's opinion and intelligence. John a man before his times. I don't think there was a thought, opinion, or advice John Adams trusted more than Abigail's. Smart man. Abigail Adams was the wife and mother of a President. Boo-yah Barbara Bush!

So all in all it's a good mini-series. Full of historical fact and accuracy. A bit slow moving because it is mostly talk and re-creation of pivotal events in our nations formation. My prediction is that it will get mixed reviews. Who knows. Maybe as the series moves into the period of the Revolutionary War the action will pick up.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ~ames~ said...

This sounds interesting, I didn't even know it was on!! I like Laura Linney, she's a great actress.

9:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

Being the history nerd I am, I would love that movie. I wonder if I can get it through Netflix...

11:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Whenever I read about the lives of women in a prior time period I realize what a wimp I am when I complain.

Which is why I love westerns so darn much. A good western heroine wouldn't know how to act wimpy even if she had lessons.

11:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, we're kindred spirits when it comes to musicals. If anyone knew that musical I knew it would be you. I'm sure the JA series will be out on DVD before you know it.

Ames, like I said it's not action packed but it recalls a lot of historical and significant events with superb accuracy. Laura Linney is, imo, the best thing about the series.

Jen, I'm sure you gotta be able to get 1776 through Netflix. It's a hoot and just very clever in spots. A historical musical isn't everyone's cuppa, but I get a kick out of it. As for the HBO miniseries, I'm sure it will be out on DVD shortly after it airs. HBO is pretty good about stuff like that.

Wendy, I agree about western heroines, however, Abigail Adams is a REAL person and I can't believe how strong and resilient that woman was.

4:42 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home