A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Linda Howard

So I should be posting my March reading list. I will. But, I'm going to do it tomorrow. Why you ask? Because those fab babes over at Book Binge are highlighting the incomparable Linda Howard and put up some poll questions. I decided to answer their poll right here at home so I can think a little bit about them and blather on if I get a yen to.


1. What is your favorite book by Linda Howard? This one is very, very hard. I know it's dated but I remember how much SARAH'S CHILD knocked me for a loop way back when I first read it. So that's a fave for impact. But my favorite to re-read is either MACKENZIE'S MOUNTAIN or SHADES OF TWILIGHT. Those two stick with me the most, but on any other day I might say or add 3 or 4 others.

2. Who is your favorite hero by Linda Howard? Webb Tallant (SHADES OF TWILIGHT)

3. Who is your favorite heroine by Linda Howard? Mary Potter (MACKENZIE'S MOUNTAIN)

4. What secondary character's story do you want Linda Howard to write? I've always wanted a full length story about that psychic lady who lived in a swamp that got together with the Sheriff of a small town (can't remember names right now) that she wrote about in an anthology.

5. What's your least favorite book by Linda Howard? AGAINST THE RULES

6. Who's your least favorite Linda Howard hero? Rhy Baines in AN INDEPENDENT WIFE

7. Which heroine by Linda Howard did you want to throttle? Sallie Baines in an old SSE AN INDEPENDENT WIFE

8. Did you like the incest in Shades of Twilight? Wha'?!! No, were we supposed to?

9. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the sexiest, how would you rate Ben Lewis? (Hey, I had to do it) A 7.5. While he appreciates Jillian's intelligence. He's a high octane and high maintenance guy and for that reason I can't give him a higher grade.

10. If you could get Linda Howard to write YOUR story, how would you want your hero to be written? I love men and women who have a purpose. So I would like a story where these two intelligent, reasonable people both have a goal but they are at cross purposes. How would they or could they compromise when they are driven and goal oriented. Neither one of them would understand how to back down. Having them both come from struggle and a difficult background would be interesting too. No easy roads.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Rosie, the incest Rowena is referring to in SoT isn't the incest you're thinking of. She means the fact that the h/h were related (cousins, I think?). That's always bothered her (though I never noticed it) and she swears it's incest and wrong. Or maybe someone else we know swears it and she's only on the fence about it. Not I can't remember.

Regardless, I never even gave it a thought until she brought it up. It's not like they were brother and sister, right?

9:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, Oops? Yeah, I think Roanna and Webb are like second cousins even...not even first cousins. So, I never think of their relationship as incestuous. I always think of you know...the Dad and daughter who both knew for crying out loud. Blech!

9:32 PM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

See, I always think of that, too. And EWW! But I guess some people (I'd say Rowena, but like I said before, I might be mistaken about it bothering her) weren't able to move past that. And actually, I think it was the relationship between Webb and Jessi that was in question. They're first cousins, aren't they?

9:34 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Let me think, Webb's grandfather and Lucinda were brother and sister. Webb's dad was her nephew which made Webb a grand nephew, right?

Jessie's mother and Roanna's father were Lucinda's children. So Roanna and Jessie were first cousins. Lucinda is the only common relative as great aunt and grandmother. Doesn't that make them all (Jessie and Roanna to Webb)second cousins?

10:03 PM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Regardless if they're blood related or not, it never bothered me. I mean, it's not like they were brother and sister.

LOL @ Zeek.

11:16 AM PDT  
Blogger lisabea said...

MacKenzie's Mountain still remains one of my absolute favs. Such a great story.


sigh

1:32 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

I think that btw Ro and Webb, it is kind of incest... so Rowena is right... but I don't think about it much. As Holly said, it's not like they were brother and sister... they're not even first cousin... so I'm okay with it... and they didn't care.

I mean, Lucinda wanted Jessi to have an abortion, because clearly, father and daughter = incest... and can I say ewww!! however, she was happy that Ro and Webb got together.I mean, it's something new... think of regency, lots of ppl married their cousins.

1:37 PM PDT  
Blogger Misty G said...

I can honestly say that I agree with you on every one of your answers... As far as the incest between the hero and heroine, I think they were so distantly related that "legally" it wasn't incest. It didn't set off any ick factors for me, and I think I've probably read the book about a hundred times since it came out.lol. Now the daddy/daughter sutff....yuck.

4:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, you crack me up. Hillbilly mennonites. I read your comment when I was in the dr's office with Shmoo this morning and everyone turned to look at me because I burst out laughing.

Holly, ditto for me. Never bothered me.

Lisabea, I re-read MacKenzie's Mountain last year I think after not touching or looking at it for several years. It held up really well. It's still a fave. And so is DIAMOND BAY... that Kell Sabin. Holy Smokes. I could go on and on.

Nath, oh good Lord, if we bring up the regencies EVERYONE is related. In real life you read about some of these heirs and all the kids of each generation are cousins of some kind across all of Europe. Or, it seems that way to me anyway.

Misty, welcome to NOBODY ASKED ME! Wow, there's nothing better than to have someone agree with all my answers. :) I'm lovin' that! Linda Howard is a huge favorite. Did you see everyone's answers at BOOK BINGE? There's lots of us out there.

7:42 PM PDT  
Anonymous Melissa S said...

Thank you thank you thank you !!! I have been trying to remember the name of this book (Shades of Twilight) for a year now. I remember the story line and some character names, although I read it more than a decade ago, and when I searched Webb and Rowena your blog came up. I loved this story when I first read it and can't wait to enjoy it again so THANK YOU for your blog and the book title

6:46 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Melissa, it's crazy to think a post I wrote 7 years ago helped you out!! I still re-read Shades about once a year.

8:28 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home