A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Reading and Thinking

I finished Linda Howard's DEATH ANGEL a few days ago and can't stop thinking about the characters. Frankly I haven't decided whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. Do you believe, truly believe in redemption? I do. I believe in life changing moments more than I do deliberate change. On that level this book really rocked for me.

If you like memorable characters, the H/H in DEATH ANGEL certainly are that. I hesitate to name them which is also telling about the story. If you want to know why...you must read it.

Also recently finished is TWILIGHT FALL by Lynn Viehl. I long to come up with the words to explain why the Darkyn series works so well for me. It does though. I'm most impressed that the H/H in each of the books have been unique and so individual. Here we have the conflicted Liling Harper and tormented Valentin Jaus.

Liling is an unusual heroine I think because of her honest self awareness. Valentin is not over the loss of the love of his life. So one wonders right away how that's gonna work. I really enjoyed this book and the new elements of the Brethren Ms. Viehl introduced. I can't believe the next book is slated to be the last one in this series. There just seems to be sooooo much more story to tell.

For old times sake I picked up A SOLDIER'S HOMECOMING by Rachel Lee. It's a current release in the Silhouette Romantic Suspense line. This book takes place in the world of Ms. Lee's Conard County books. You may remember those from the Silhouette Intimate Moments line years ago. I read and really enjoyed them. Since this was a tie in I decide to check it out. Unfortunately, there is nothing fresh or new here and even though it's not badly written, I had a hard time staying interested or caring about the characters. I skimmed it at the end.

Now I'm trying to decide what to read. I feel schizophrenic. I've picked up and put down about five books. I try to use the weekends to catch up and do some writing for ye olde blog, but the books keep calling to me...

Read, read, read...

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ~ames~ said...

*sigh* Your love the Viehl's series has made me buy them. I did not buy this latest, however I think I will now. LOL I trust your judgement that much.

I've barely been reading. It's so sad. Two books so far this month. TWO. Ugh.

8:45 AM PDT  
Blogger Misty G said...

I'm skipping the Howard until it comes out in paperback. I don't know how I feel about the premise yet, and the last few Howards in hard back have been kind of "meh" for me. I'm hoping she comes out with another Blair Mallory book.

I love the Darkyn series. I'm kind of down about the last book, but happy that she's giving Robin his own story and that she's going to be answering some questions.

I like what she did with Val and Liling, but if I had a quibble (and I guess it's a very minor one) it's that I wanted more of Val and Liling. Viehl often has multi arch stories that kind of go together in one book, but I liked these two characters so much I felt like they needed to be in the story more than Alex and Ciprien.

toodles.

5:26 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I was on the fence about this one - I've been disappointed in her last few but so many people are talking about it - and loving it - that I bit the bullet and ordered it last night. It's not so bad a price if you order online from Chapters.

And just think Rosie - just a little over 2 weeks now and we will be roomies!! I'm getting more excited every day! Soon, very soon, my feet wont' be hitting the ground!!

4:58 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, I don't think you'll be sorry about the Viehl books. In fact I envy you the fun of starting at the beginning and getting to read them.

Misty, like I said, it's definitely different and not the classic LH at all.

Kristie, it'll be interesting to talk to you about the LH if you have a chance to read it before RWA.

I can't believe we are so close either! We'll BE THERE laughing and carrying on two weeks from right now. It makes me want to dye my hair purple. Sounds crazy, but it makes me that happy.

9:49 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home