A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, September 29, 2008

1 Hour 59 minutes 47 seconds...

GG had a fantastic run on a surprisingly demanding course. He did a half marathon in central California. His goal was to do it in 2 hours and beat his previous time of 2 hours and 10 minutes. I'm here to tell you he completed his 13.1 miles in 1 hour 59 minutes and 47 seconds. Yes, 13 seconds to spare and he met his goal. That's my man. A planner AND an achiever. Gotta love that.

I did read this weekend. Two saucy books.

The first one I tried was HOT PROPERTY by Susan Johnson. Ummm... This was disappointing. I hadn't heard anything about the book. Unless, Kate is this the one you were talking about at RWA? Anyway, I'm two-thirds through it and not much interested in finishing it. I used to love her historicals. Anyone remember those Russian historicals she wrote forever ago?

Eons ago I read some Anya Bast when she was writing for Ellora's Cave. Taking a quick peak at her web site I see she still writes for EC. Anyway, I hadn't tortured myself with a vamp book in a while and picked up THE CHOSEN SIN. Interesting book. It's pretty explicit but not without a decent story and two interesting characters. I have to give props to Ms. Bast for creating a pretty complete vamp futuristic and not succumbing to campiness. It was an interesting take on vampires in the future. I was sufficiently taken in that I would read another book set in this world.

So I'm feeling pretty good that I got to read this weekend. I always feel a little more like myself when I do. Reading soothes me so much. I can't believe how relaxing it is for me.

In other news the shine has definitely worn off TRUE BLOOD. I don't know why they have to be so explicit. Am I getting old? What do you all think? You've probably been talking about it and I'm clueless.

There I was standing in the morning mist this past Saturday as GG took off on his run. While I waited I decided to fire up my phone check email and the news. Even knowing he had been ill recently I was stunned to read that Paul Newman had died. It made me very sad. I adored his work in movies like THE LONG HOT SUMMER and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF. Lordy. Wonderful. I admired his charitable work and success in keeping his private life...private. He never made an "easy" movie. They were all character driven and intense. It feels like the end of an era to me. My sympathy and sorrow for their loss go out to his friends and family.

If you have a few minutes you should really check this out.



Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger ~ames~ said...

Congrats to GG for beating his old time!!

I understand your feelings about TB. I was on the computer last night while it was on, and barely looked up. I am gonna watch it again because I missed Eric's scene.

Isn't it funny? The humans are the more sexualized bunch in this show. Here I thought it would be the other way around...

6:54 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Congrats to GG!

I, too, was stunned to hear about Paul Newman. And so saddened by my kid's reactions. "Isn't that the guy on our salad dressing? Why are you so upset?" Kill me now. *headdesk*

7:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

And Rosie is back! Heck, I'm impressed GG was able to run 13 miles - let alone how long it took him to do it! I would have passed out after a 1/2 mile.

Haven't watched a single episode of True Blood....but I'm still hooked on Entourage. Not sure what that says about me.....

8:31 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I have to say I'm so sad about Paul Newman's passing. Not like we can all live forever but he was always so larger than life. *sigh*

I can't wait to read Chosen Sin!

Hot Property - have heard nothing good about it!

3:32 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Hurrah for GG to have achieve his goal!! Wow, he really wants it ;)

Glad you had time to read :)

5:38 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Wow, congrats to GG for beating his goal. I'm out of breath and I haven't done anything!

I'm sad about Paul Newman also but I only ever saw him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Still, what a wonderful man.

CindyS

2:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, have you checked it out yet? Shmoo still likes it and that sort of disturbs me. Yikes!

Lori, forget about your kids, I work with 30-somethings who have never seen a Paul Newman movie. That, made me feel sad AND old. He was so cool...

Wendy, I don't think TB is going to make much of a ripple. I'm not an expert in these things you understand, I'm just sayin'. GG likes Entourage. I've seen 1 or 2 episodes and never feel the urgent need to be sure I tune in for the next one.

Tracy, if you read CHOSEN SIN you'll have to let me know what you think. It's pretty sexy, but I think she did a good job of having a decent plot to support it.

Nath, that GG is one driven guy when he has his eyes on a goal. I'm really proud of him.

Cindy, you have to give Newman's other movies a try. He has some classics. As for GG, I cheer and clap for him. Thus is my contribution to the whole running thing. Now that the weather has cooled a bit I'm walking again 3 times a week 3 1/2 miles. Key word? WALKING.

10:22 PM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

Right before I went to RWA, I watched The Hustler for the first time. Paul Newman has such an incredible screen presence that puts all actors today to shame.
I have about 5 movies on my Netflix queue of Newman movies to watch :D

6:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home