A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TBR Day: To the Brink

TO THE BRINK by Cindy Gerard. This book is the third in the Bodyguard series published by St. Martin's in January 2006. It is also my TBR Day read for this month.

Over the last few years I've heard a lot about this series. Frankly I got it mixed up with Tara Janzen's books. Since their names aren't similar or anything I don't know why. I have no rhyme, reason or excuse. It's a conundrum.

Consequently I have a couple of Janzen books in my TBR along with a couple of Gerard books. When looking for something to read from the TBR this time, I was in the mood for a more contemporary book. For once a blurb captured my attention and I picked up TO THE BRINK to read.

Darcy Prescott works in the diplomatic corps. All of her assignments have been in the far flung corners of the world. She's worked hard for her success and loves her job. Ethan Garrett is a Special Forces soldier when he meets Darcy at an Embassy function. Ethan and Darcy fall fast and hard for each other. Despite almost constant separation and disagreements over their careers, they marry. Unfortunately their marriage cannot withstand the pressure of the constant discord. When the book begins Darcy and Ethan are divorced.
We actually get the story of their courtship and marriage in flashbacks.

Darcy is on assignment overseas and Ethan is out of the military and working for a private security company with his family. Darcy finds herself in a precarious situation when a co-worker dies under mysterious "accidental" circumstances. The recently deceased shared some incriminating and volatile information with Darcy just prior to her death. Not trusting her life to fate or coincidence Darcy decides to contact the one person she knows she can count on to help her...Ethan.

Since we, as the reader, know about half way through the book who the bad guy is the background story seems almost inconsequential. It was for me anyway. All I was interested in was knowing why the marriage failed, and why, when they loved each other they let it go. The answer is not particularly complex, but Ms. Gerard does an able job making the reasons believable.

As I noted at the beginning this is actually the third book in the series. I didn't feel at all hampered or bothered by not having read any of the others. I was curious about a couple of secondary characters in this book. Fortunately their story is told in the next book, INTO THE DARK, which I have in my TBR as well.

Overall this was a satisfactory read. It reminded of the mercenary soldier stories I read in the old Silhouette Intimate Moment line. I loved those books. Any way I originally gave this a B-, but while doing this review realized I liked it a bit more than that and would call this a good solid B read.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mollie said...

I only read one book in the bodyguard series, I enjoyed it but just never picked up any of the others.

I read quite a few of the Jenzen's though. Haven't read the most recent ones though....

7:05 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try her but she's never in my radar. Sigh. Thanks for the review, Rosie!

Keishon

12:10 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great review... I think I have a couple of them in my TBR pile... I bought them because Kristie enjoyed them and they've been languishing in my TBR pile... wonder if theym,re still there or not... hmmm.

4:12 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I've really enjoyed all the books in this series. And I was so disappointed in SF because she was giving out her newest one (that hadn't been released yet) at one of the publisher signings. Her last copy was taken by the person just ahead of me :-( If I had been just a wee bit quicker - but then you know what a madhouse it was at those publisher signings *g*

6:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

My absolute favorite is the first one in the series (whose name escapes me right now, and frankly I'm far too lazy to go look it up!).

You're right - this one was a good solid B to B+ for me.

11:21 PM PDT  
Blogger Bridget Locke said...

I really enjoyed this series. I just got an email from B&N telling me her latest is available for pick up. Yay! I like these much better than Janzen's, but that's just me. :)

12:31 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Mollie, I will definitely be reading the next one because I have to know what happens to Amy and Dallas. They were both prominent secondary characters in TO THE BRINK. Thank goodness I have INTO THE DARK in by TBR.

Keishon, these weren't books I picked up on my own. Both Janzen and Gerard are because of online buzz.

Nath, this is why the TBR challenge is so great. We are finding and reading some of the treasures we already have. I'm so glad I did this even though I haven't participated as well as I would have liked.

Kristie, next time get a buddy to distract the lady in front of you so you can nab the book! What? That's bad???? I was very good at fake fainting in my high school drama class. It's been awhile, but I think I could manage. : P

Lori, you just HAD to tell me that huh? Hahahahah! You know I have to go find the first book in the series now don't you? If the inside cover of my books are correct the first one is TO THE EDGE.

Bridget, hey I'm all about the more info you have. However, I'm sure that eventually I'll be trying the Janzen books just to see for myself. Yeah, that's me a Nosy Nora. Thanks for stopping by.

7:52 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Yeah, Rosie, I have to say, all the buzz and anticipation leading up to Amy and Dallas..... I hope you won't be disappointed. A lot of people were, a bit (myself included, I have to say).

It has to be so hard as an author to have that kind of anticipation for a book. I feel for Gerard.

8:02 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home