A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

My new challenge ain't got nuthin' to do with books!



Each year at the fire department we have a fitness guy come in and check us out. We do lab work, we take a dip in the fat tank to measure our BMI, we do sit ups, push ups, etc.

All in all I'm in good shape. My labs were good. I did both push ups and sit ups for the first time in 35 years. I'm counting it a major achievement that I didn't morph into primordial ooze. Good news, right? However, it's been a year and half since I've done any yoga or any kind of flexibility work out and I consequently got a horrible score for body elasticity and flexibility.

As for my body fat, well, to put it in the kindest terms, it's a few points shy of where it should be. I also found out I need to add

weight training

to my walking

and swimming.


So in addition to working on losing some more weight before RWA, I have to figure out how to add an hour of weight training 2 days a week. I know! Two hours is huge isn't it? I think I'll be happy to start with 30 minutes. Believe me, I haven't even figured out when or how I'll do that yet.

What do you do? Do you work out in the mornings? Evenings? During your lunch? I do a little of everything. Who knows anything about weights?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to recommend Weight Training for Dummies. Don't laugh! It really helped me when I started with weights.

Another good resource is a trainer at your local gym. If you can swing even one 1 hour session, s/he can set you up with a basic program. Your local university likely offers this service as well, using students who are PT majors, etc.

You can break up weight training however you like. Try to do each exercise (two or more sets at a time) two times per week.

Depending on your current strength, 3 pound, 5 pound, and 8 pound weights will be all you need at least for a while. Or you can even try using those colored rubber bands, which are lighter and cheaper (although I confess I haven't been coordinated enough to manage it).



Good luck!

6:40 PM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

I go to the gym on base and do cardio for 30 min (eliptical or treadmill), and then I choose 8 different activities with low weight (arm curls, tricep press, squats, etc) with hand weights. I do 3 sets of ten reps each, but you can find out what works best for you. The idea is that you have weight resistance so that you build bone density.

I've also gone to a "total body fit" class that includes cardio and weights. Start slow and low weight. I don't get to the weights all the time, I do the best I can.

10:34 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jessica, no laughing here. We've used the '...for Dummies' books before and they are a good place to start for rookies like me. Thanks for your help and input. I had someone else tell me to go to the local gym and get the freebie first timer tour and use, write stuff down and it's a way to get started.

Mary, the assessment guy said to find a piece of equipment and/or weight training for each muscle group and work myself of to 10 reps of each. Of course easy to say when I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks for the tips, I may be picking your brain some more.

11:28 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

That is sooo cool that you have someone coming and doing a physical assessment. I think that would motivate...

Ugh, we need to work so hard to remain healthy ^_^;

6:36 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, it is way cool that we do it. However, I've actually felt a little down ever since. I feel sort of overwhelmed with everything he says I should be doing. I have to keep reminding myself "Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard." Inches. I have to make the changes in inches.

10:19 PM PST  
Blogger Jennifer B. said...

Rosie - Gilad's Body Sculpting on FitTV at 6:30 EST (not sure about your time zone...)

Swear. 30 minutes each morning--20 minutes when you consider commercials. Never the same workout twice. All pretty much resistance training. Made more of a difference in my body than anything else ever has. And I use the commercials to pack G's lunch, ready his school backpack, etc. Don't know how your morning routine plays out, but this one was so awesome for me that even with less time now, I've kept the same schedule and gave up the extra time I need to dry my hair totally before dashing off to work.

8:49 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jennifer, I think I've heard of this guy. FitTV I'll have to look for it. I don't recall it off the top of my head. Thanks for your help!

6:53 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home