A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Should I be worried?



Shmoo has been absorbed into the collective called 'The Twilight Zone'. Not the old TV series created by Rod Serling. Nope. I'm talking about the Stephanie Meyers' books.


It all started when Shmoo got dragged to the movie by his current GF. She's been a fan of the books and was anxiously awaiting the movie release. Since then, last November, they've seen the movie 5 or 6 times that I know of.

Then, you may recall, we had to go on the search for Edward Cullen's peacoat. That's what Shmoo wanted for Christmas. Shmoo became fascinated with James Dean at the same time. Between the peacoat and pictures of James Dean I thought he was having a major identity crisis.

Fortunately, we found the coat... Thank God for American Eagle.



Now several months later, many movie viewings aside, Shmoo is totally immersed in the books. He's already read TWILIGHT and NEW MOON. He just started ECLIPSE. Like any good reader, he thinks the books are better than the movie, but really likes Robert Pattison as Edward Cullen. RP is who he imagines as Edward when he reads. Or so he says. He discusses these characters like they are real people. Can you imagine?

It is sort of cute to see he and his GF curled up on our big puffy sofa reading the books. They will read for hours together. Isn't that a little abnormal for 18 year-olds? Staying home to read? I know, I know, I shouldn't complain. Especially since this GF is the nicest, kindest, gentlest girl. You just wouldn't believe. A real sweetheart.

So, what do you think? Too obsessed? So asks the woman with tubs of books in her tbr and who will obsessively search to get all the back list of an author she really likes.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not obsessed at all! Well, yeah, okay--but in a good way! Books need obsessed readers, that's all there is to it. And it seems like it's a good thing for their relationship :-)

3:43 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, of course I've been hearing buzz and blog fodder about the books for a long time. I just never expected my son would end up being one of the fans.

6:45 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, don't complain, Rosie! It's not going to last and you know it! It's just a phase, but a very, very cute phase :D

7:42 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

My Lil' Sis went through an obsessive Twilight phase...then she read the last book in the series which she now refers to as Godfather Part III. LOL - so don't worry about Schmoo. This too shall pass. The question is once he's off Twilight, will he keep reading?

8:34 AM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Both CJ and I have read all four books. They're addicting in the sense that they're an easy read, you want to know what happens and it's pretty darn clean. I was surprised CJ got into it, but I think it was the hype surrounding the books more than anything.

The movie was more than cheesey! I think it's great that Shmoo and his girlfriend are home reading instead of sneaking around smoking crack. It could always be worse, right!?!?

12:16 PM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I think it's great that he and his girlfriend are reading together. I wouldn't worry though - I'm sure it's just a phase.

9:06 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

It's so sweet that they're doing the together thing. All together now... Awwwwwww.

I tried to get Jeff to go see it - he was horrified at the suggestion, LOL.

9:42 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, fer realsies? I'm not complaining. I'm actually a bit stunned.

Wendy, so what you're saying is that I should actually be more worried about what he will do when this phase passes.

Mary, CJ read these? Wow! Aren't they kind of sexy for him? I know he's a genius and all, but dang! Did you take him to see the movie too? Hey the weekend the boys are here the DVD comes out. Yay!

Oh and of course I want them to be smoking crack instead of reading. Whaddaya nuts?

Kristie, yeah, I'm sure it's a phase too. More's the pity.

Lori, this is a case where Mom's have zero influence, but the GF? Oh yeah. Shmoo said emphatically before the movie came out he wasn't going because of all the buzz about Rob Pattison. Then the GF dragged him to go. And the rest, as they say, is history.

9:59 PM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

It's so cute that he's so into it. At least I think so. :)

RP as Edward - bleck.

12:35 PM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I understand the obsession. LOL

I've seen the movie a few times myself. :P I only read the books AFTER seeing the movie.

Just be very supportive when he gets to the 4th book.

9:28 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, we are going to dinner and he's ready for book 4. He hasn't read books like this since he went on a Goosebumps tear in 7th grade.

Ames, he's fully immersed. I've been warning him about book 4 since he saw the movie. Good to know he's not the only one who didn't read the books until the movie came out.

6:51 PM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

Ahhh Goosebumps. Thank heavens we never hit that in our house - at least not yet. My oldest is on the Rainbow Magic Fairy tear. There's only about 100 different fairies! Oy!

11:34 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, *sigh* Little girls, pink, fairies...

7:28 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home