A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And now for the News...



Yes, it's St. Paddy's Day. Since I'm mostly Italian I didn't grow up celebrating this holiday much. No big parties. No green beer.

When we adopted Shmoo we found out he's of Irish heritage which he loves to carry on (and on) about. He thinks it's very significant. That said when I was making pasta salad for the St. Paddy's potluck at work today, Shmoo chimed in with a "It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow?" Ain't he somethin'?

I can't remember why I was telling you all that. To wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day? Probably. Let's go with that, shall we?

In other news, you may have noticed in the comments yesterday that Wendy the Super Librarian and I have purchased our airline tickets for Washington DC. Yippy, yappy and yahooey! Now it's real. Four more months. Since we are two and a half months into 2009 already, that's not that far away. Am I crazy or does it seem like it was just Christmas?




Beanie is officially working at Disneyland. He's a submarine driver on the Finding Nemo ride. He's also registered with an agent to do extra work and maybe, just maybe possibly get some work in commercials. What can I say, the boy's a big dreamer. He's also finally found a "good artist" to draw his comic book idea. I think this makes a total of 4 people collaborating on it now. Of course, I'm constantly asking motherly questions like, "And, how's school doing?"


Like most college kids he's burning the candle at both ends but seems to be thriving. I'm happy for him. Please Lord, one more year to graduation.


Shmoo is rethinking his commitment to the fire service. The kid I had to nudge, push and shove through his senior year of high school actually likes college. He announced to us over the weekend he thinks he will go ahead and get his 4-year degree. While I'd love to send up the halleluias I know his mind and attitudes changes with the weather. OTOH, I'd be a liar if I didn't say it made me happy that he's even considering a degree. It was a brief moment of bliss to think that maybe, just maybe some of the stuff we've been drilling into his head talking to him about since he started kindergarten has stuck.

GG has had some rocky roads and tough transitions at work lately, not the least of which was a co-worker being struck and killed by a truck in the freight yard where he works. The truck driver was where he was supposed to be, the co-worker in the correct crossing area, they just didn't see each other. Horrible, horrible accident. Knocked my GG a bit off kilter. His words to me, "You just never know what a day will bring. All the guy wanted to do was go to work to take care of his family." I love my husband. I really do.




Day one of my new job? Pretty darn good. Of course the transition is nothing like being brand new at a company. I know all the people and routine. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be in my very own office. I got all kinds of keys today. That's one of those things you don't know how to feel about. Good=They trust me. Bad=Crap! They trust ME? Yes, this is my internal dialogue. It's so fun. NOT.

I didn't make my bed today. It was liberating because I didn't think about it once and got home and was surprised by the unmade bed. Okay you probably don't think it's significant, but if you've been reading my blog for awhile you know that it was b-i-g for me.

I'm walking. I'm swimming. I'm trying going to lose more weight before DC. Although I've pretty much conceded that if I want to read and blog I'll probably be sleeping less.

I told GG sleeping was overrated. He said, "Not when you aren't getting any." I hate it when he's right. And gets the last word.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

Wow! An unmade bed! Maybe I should try to fight my inner slob and make mine tomorrow morning!

And woo-hoo to buying the tickets!

2:03 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Sorry about GG and work. I can't even imagine how that would feel. And yay for you and work - I know what you mean about keys. I used to open and close a store and I would be all 'are you kidding me? I'm 18 years old!'. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and think 'crap, I didn't lock the door!'. I had to teach myself a 'method' so that I could wake up and say 'no silly, remember you did 'this'. The door is locked ;)

And an unmade bed!? I'm happy for you because it didn't make you crazy.

I have to clean this week so I'm going to steal your mojo 'kay? Thanks ;)

CindyS

3:24 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Marg, I feel deliciously evolved. However, I don't think I'm ready for 2 days in a row... ;)

Cindy, hey, any mojo that helps with cleaning you are welcome to...

GG is doing much better this week, but he sure got knocked on his keister last week.

6:36 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great post, Rosie! I'm glad to hear that your first day went well :) and youppi on the DC ticket!! yay!!!

LOL, Beanie working at Disneyland :) He must be very happy, right? :) You said he was our dreamer :)

Okay, I have to ask... Schmoo was adopted?

7:04 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Wow, busy day!

1. Jealous on the DC tix. Crying in my green beer.
2. Yay for both boys.
3. Hearts out to GG and the family of his co-worker.
4. So glad the 1st day went well. I knew it would.
5. Jealous of the DC tix.
6. Woohoo! An unmade bed!
7. Jealous of the DC tix.

7:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

To add to the jealousy: we got the tickets for an extremely reasonably price.

That's a lotta news Rosie! Glad to hear the new job is going well. I'm sorry to hear about GG's coworker - that's devastating! And best of luck with Beanie and Schmoo. I think my Dad wants to do Disney when they're out here in May......

8:14 AM PDT  
Blogger Renee said...

Lori and I can have a beer together while you guys are partying it up in DC. ;-)

Yay, for the unmade bed! Anarchy is good (in controlled amounts.)

My husband is jealous of your son. He always wanted to be a D-land submarine driver.

Sounds like lots of transitions for the Rosie-clan. I like reading about your update! :-)

8:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Marg said...

I just walked into my room and was very disoriented by the fact that it was all neatly made! Very odd indeed!

4:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

What a fun job for your son!

That is indeed very sad about the person at GG's work and the person's family.

Yay for unmade beds! (Though technically, it's not too difficult to make my bed in the morning...just straighten the down comforter, lol).

Yay for a fun trip with a friend.

3:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, Beanie is ecstatic at D-land. He worked as a movie extra today on the second ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNK movie.

Oh, and yes, both my boys are adopted. I should write their story someday like Renee did hers.

Lori, you know I'm going to miss you in DC. It won't be the same without you and Nikki.

Wendy, so much news I was too beat from the new job to comment last night. Moved into my new office today.

Renee, yes, LOTs going on. It's fun. It's exciting, but it's also exhausting.

Marg, it didn't last long. I made it today. But there's always tomorrow...

Becky, it was pretty horrible for GG at work. He supervises 28 people, 23 of which are women so to say emotions were running high is an understatement. It's been more than a week now so things are starting to settle down, but it was very sad and shocking for everyone.

10:01 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Oh, that is soooo cool for Beanie! LOL, I can imagine how ecstatic he is!!

and Oh please, yes!! That would be a wonderful post about your boys!

9:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nathie, I've been thinking about telling the boy's stories, but it will be time consuming, so I'll probably be working on them for awhile.

11:14 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home