A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, March 09, 2009

The Watchmen



Shmoo went to the midnight opener of the movie THE WATCHMEN Thursday night/Friday morning. Friday evening he told GG and I how completely awesome the movie was. Frankly I wasn't that interested in seeing the movie. I'd seen trailers and it just didn't spur any interest for me. Shmoo was insistent. So GG and I sort of agreed to go see it on Saturday.

Well, we saw it.

I'm not going to say the movie didn't have its moments, because it did. I thought both Jackie Earle Haley and Billy Crudup were great. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was okay as was Patrick Wilson. Although I feel I should warn Jeffrey Dean Morgan fans he doesn't have much screen time.

Anyway, there's violence. Graphic violence. A rape scene and a sex scene. Now, I don't object to any of these things in a movie if they progress the story, make a point, or seem necessary to the plot. My son tells me the violence is necessary to demonstrate some significant plot points like man's inhumanity to man. Okay, maybe, and I mean maybe, I can buy off on that one.

The rape scene and the sex scene. The graphic sex scene? Nope. Just titillation. A blatant appeal to the adolescent males who will be flocking to this movie. Ugh!

I probably spent one-third of the movie with my hands over my eyes. I read love stories for crying out loud and this was pretty gross more than a few times. *heavy sigh* In normal circumstances I would have walked out and left my men folk to watch it while I browsed the bookstore or got myself a cup of java. But I didn't. I stayed. I stayed because I was also fascinated and wanted to see how it was all going to turn out. More on that later.

My final criticism, not that you or Hollywood gives a hoot, but I thought Malin Ackerman (previously seen as the spoiled sister in 27 Dresses) was horribly miscast as Laurie Jupiter, aka Silk Spectre II. As was Matthew Goode as Adrian Veidt aka Ozymandias. Every time they were on screen, which was quite a lot in Ms. Ackerman's case, it took me right out of the story.

Ultimately I don't think I could recommend this to anyone unless you are insanely curious and have to see it.

I said I would come back to 'how it all turns out". Nope, no spoilers here. I only want to say that for all the violence, sex and miscast actors, I was engaged in the story and curious as hell to see how everything was going to be resolved.

All in all it was an interesting experience, even if I can't say I'm glad I went. I probably would have been better served renting this one and seeing it on a smaller screen. Although with the BATV maybe it wouldn't make a difference there either.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

Hmmmm, doesn't sound like a movie I'd enjoy watching. Thanks for the heads up Rosie!

Aren't you tired of comics adaptation? :(

8:03 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. I know Jeff wants to see this one. A rape scene? Not so sure of that!

8:07 AM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

Rape scene? yuk. I also heard it was very violent. I will wait for dvd. Keep hearing about the good doctor's blue penis though.

9:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nathie, I actually don't mind comic book adaptations if they are well done. This just wasn't my cuppa.

Lori, the rapist does end up getting stopped at the very last second, but it's vile enough and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kb, yes Dr. Manhattan's blue penis is blurrily visible and even life-like in a few scenes. Very interesting choice I must say. I guess it's not real nudity if it's blue???

2:02 PM PDT  
Blogger Renee said...

Hiya, Rosie! I just wanted to tell you "officially" that I gave you a Premio Dardos award over at my place. You rock! :-)

4:43 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks Renee!

5:40 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I was going to wait for it on DVD - I'm like Nath I'm getting tired of the comic adaptations. Only because the script writers don't seem to flesh out dialogue so I can usually tell if the movie is based on a comic by the silly dialogue.

The one I'm going to the theatre for though? STAR TREK!!!! Sci-fi anything and I need to see it on the big screen. Poor Bob doesn't understand Sci-fi as a rule but he loves me enough to take me to the movie. I told him the minute I saw a preview that we are going!

CindyS

10:51 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, uhhhhh, yeah, waiting for DVD definitely a good idea. As for the new STAR TREK that will be out just around the corner in May... CAN'T WAIT! I just saw the new trailer and I'm salivating.

12:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

Both my brother-in-law and my sister told me to not waste my time with the movie. My husband saw it and though he didn't hate it he said it seemed very long. Visually stimulating but that was about it. Hmmmm...I think I'll read a book instead. :)

10:47 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home