A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Pet Names and the Busy Weekend



This weekend my sister is taking her husband to LA to a concert. Why is this significant? Well they are driving here from where she lives, near Santa Barbara, and dropping off my three nephews, who I affectionately call 'The Stairsteps' because of their closeness in age and size. I also call them kee-kee bobos, schmenkies and when I lose my mind and insult my beloved younger son, I even slip and call them Shmoo.


Which, indulge me a moment while I go off on a tangent, is interesting because when Shmoo was in about the 6th grade he said he didn't want me to call him Shmoo any more. I promised to try and not call him by his special pet name, especially in front of his friends.

Shortly thereafter we got a visit from 'The Stairsteps'. I grab one of my nevvies, give him a nuzzle and affectionately call him 'my Shmoo'. From down the hallway and the bowels of boy central I hear, "Hey! That's my name!" What? Huh? Your name? Alrighty then. Ever after I've been careful not to call anyone else Shmoo while not addressing my Shmoo as Shmoo in front of his friends. Complicated enough for you? Lordy.

Ironically Shmoo doesn't mind me calling him Shmoo now at the ripe old age of almost 19. In fact I think he kind of likes it. Weird, huh? I know nicknames, pet names, shortened derivatives of names aren't for everyone but they are just a by-product of my affection for someone. Poor Super Librarian Wendy has been given about three nicknames by me already.

Beware my fair friends, it can happen at any time. I may already have a pet name for you in my ever cogitating grey matter and just haven't been brave enough to address you by it yet. If I slip up and you hate it, tell me. I'll stop. If not...well you've been warned.

What's in a name? Lots of fun stuff. There's tons of places to get fun names on the internet.
How about your fairy name? Mine is Fire Rainbowdancer. Or, how about my stripper name of for a good time call Sierra Sunnysizzle? Just call me Sunny... Sunnysizzle. Heh.

So, back to the busy weekend. My nephews will be staying over this weekend and I'll be pretty busy with them and don't expect to be around the blogosphere much. Try not to let too much happen, I hate when I miss stuff. In the meantime think of me enjoying spoiling The Stairsteps and conning them into helping me plant my flower beds.

Bribery, the cornerstone of good parenting, will play a large part in my nefarious plot to beautify my yard. Any ideas for 10, 9 and 6 year old boys? What would really float their boat?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

So cute, about Shmoo. I love that he's happy about his name again.

It gives me hope for my kid. When I drop him off at school, we have a deal that he has let me kiss him goodbye, just not where his friends will see. When I pick him up, he's so happy to go home that he doesn't even notice (or care,) that he'll run to me with hugs and kisses.

I call him (and usually every person under 4 feet) sweetie pie. Sometimes when he's feeling esp affectionate, he'll call me "momma-pie." Totally makes me all gooshy inside.

Have fun with the Stairsteps. I have a feeling your weekend is going to fly by!

10:14 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

OK, my Stripper Name is Isis Shimmercream. That's not just wrong, it's pretty gross.

At one point during my misspent college years I lived with three other girls. Between the four of us we knew 539 guys named Mike. I'm not kidding. So we had nicknames for all of them. Party Mike. Asshole Mike. Snowboarding Mike. You get the idea.

Have fun with the nevvies!

11:15 AM PDT  
Blogger Marg said...

Offers of junk food or a movie, or some kind of outing usually work on my 10 year old....for about 20 minutes at least!

2:16 PM PDT  
Blogger Joanna Chambers said...

We are v big on nicknames in our family. Tumperkin is derived from one of m'husbag's names for me. (There was actually a song that went along with that one). I have about a hundred names for each of the kids and funnily enough, the main one my littley is 'Moo'!

1:34 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, oh yes, I remember "the deal" mine involved elaborate kisses and hugs prior to getting into the car as we had a drop off point at school and there was no way I was getting kisses or hugs there. I'm so happy Shmoo and Beanie both like their nicknames. Well, at least they indulge me and tell me they do which in the Mom handbook is a win.

Speaking of nicknames, Wendala, I'm going to call you Shimmer from here on out. Yeah, Shimmercream does seem a bit...on the interesting side to say the least. I loved the Mike story. We have 3 Brians at work two of them have the same first initial to their last names as well. We've got them labeled as Capt Brian, FF Brian, and 'Our' Brian.

Marg, junk food figured hugely in the weekend. We had pizza last night, doughnuts with oatmeal this morning and after lunch we made a trip to DQ for ice cream. I did pretty well not over indulging but I have to say that the mint oreo cookie blizzard the little one after lunch was quite the temptation especially when he shared a bite with his Aunt Ro-Ro. Ho-lee moley but it was goooooooood!

Tumperkin, yeah, we can't help ourselves around here either. Sometimes I have pet names for a period of time because of something funny that happened, like part of the reason my husbink is GG is I used to call him Gorgeous George after the platinum haired pompadoured wrestling star of yore. It was a long ago joke between us because he's anything but... I hardly ever use it now, but it's part of our schtick and history.

6:49 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I've read all about your adventures this weekend - I'm so glad you had a great time...I'm just posting on this post to save time. I'm like that ya know. :)

I don't have a nickname for my oldest daughter - although she swears she hates her name and will change it as soon as she turns 18. Payton is a cool name - whatever! lol
My youngest's nickname is babyhead. Don't ask I have no idea how it came about! lol

My fairy name: Buttercup Reedwand. Much better than my stripper name: Ashley Deepspot. oohlala! lol

1:12 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, I do the one size fits all comments all the time when I get behind with the commenting and blog hopping. No worries about that here.

Babyhead? That's an interesting one, Ashley, or do you prefer Buttercup?

8:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

LOL I think I prefer Buttercup - only because it has ties to The Princess Bride. How about I combine and do Buttercup Deepspot? lol

I know babyhead is a crazy nickname but when she was a baby she had such a cute little dome I called her babyhead and it stuck. I know, I'm nuts. I used to call Payton Sil - short for silly and it drove John nuts so I had to stop! lol

3:16 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, the thing with the nicknames and pet names is that not everyone likes 'em. I think Sil is cute. With both my boys we carefully chose their 'real' names and I like them a lot but they both sweetly tell their dear old Mom they like their Beanie and Shmoo names too.

5:49 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I guess I just need to come up with a nickname for Payton that she'll like since she doesn't like her real name. Yes, John and I carefully chose our girls' names as well. While my youngest loves hers apparently my oldest thinks hers is lame. *sigh* what's a mother to do. :)

9:40 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home