A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre


Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre


I'm sort of fumbling around here because I don't know where to start with this book. Maybe I should start by saying I didn't want to put it down once I started it. Or, maybe I should tell you that I'm still surprised how hooked and interested I am in a paranormal sort of book that while character driven, the romantic elements are not the central theme of the story. All those things are true about BLUE DIABLO.

However, what Ms. Aguirre does best, in my humble opinion, is create memorable multi-layered characters. While her characters struggle to understand each other, we too as readers are sorting through all the information the author is giving us trying to figure things out. There are wonderful secondary characters as well who help fill out this story and give it added depth and flavor.

Chance and Corine, the H/H have a history. Eighteen months earlier Corine slipped away in the dark of night, no longer believing she could survive a relationship with Chance. Was Corine right to leave? Is Chance who and what he appears to be?

As they join forces to find Chance's Mother, someone Corine loves dearly, their back story is revealed. Partly. One can't help but feel, even at the end of this book, that there is more to know about Chance and Corine. Throughout the book Corine often mentally and verbally refers to Chance as her ex, but he is anything but with all the unfinished business between them.

While I was reading about these two strong, independent, and interesting people I couldn't help but think how complicated they each are. Life and love are rarely tied up in neat little packages, and that certainly holds true here.

BLUE DIABLO is a contemporary story, and while these characters inhabit the same time and place we do, their world has an added layer and dimension to it than the one we 'normal' people inhabit. This gave the story texture.

Chance and Corine both have a special gift. Corine can see the history of an object when she touches it. Chance is one lucky guy, always knowing the right people, the right turn to take in the road, and the right job to take next. However, nothing is pat or trite here. Not only 'good' people have special gifts and the race to find Chance's Mom is full of obstacles and complications. There were a couple of instances where the story got a little woo-woo, but these were minor and thankfully brief in comparison to my enjoyment of the overall reading experience.

This book is a worthwhile read for the characters alone. Interesting, intense, complicated and memorable, what more can you ask for? I can't wait to read the next book in this new series, HELLFIRE that should be released in April 2010.

In the meantime I'll console myself with the next installment in the Grimspace series, DOUBLEBLIND which is due out in October.

My Grade = B+

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Kat said...

"There were a couple of instances where the story got a little woo-woo"
The zombies did it for me. Although as I read it, I kept thinking, Man she's enjoying writing this. Good review, by the way. :-)

2:03 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kat, the visual was a bit much wasn't it?

2:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

Thanks for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed the book, even if you don´t usually read urban fantasy. Yay!

PS - I make no apologies for the zombies. *g*

10:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I haven't tried her books yet but this sounds really good. I think I'll have to pick it up. Great review Rosie. :)

11:16 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Very interesting and it's contemporary... Hmmm :P I overlook this one, because I didn't really like Grimspace, but now...

2:09 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ann, no thanks necessary, it's a good book, zombies and all.

Tracy, I think the more contemporary feel will appeal to a broader audience than the Grimspace books. Although, I do adore Jax.

Nathie, I didn't remember that you didn't like GRIMSPACE. Yeah, I'm thinking the more contemporary setting will be appealing to you here.

11:28 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home