A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reading, Working and Recovery

This is just a drive-by because I'm a bit tuckered. I went back to work today with my swollen nose, slightly black eye and 60 stitches. It sounds so dramatic, but I'm actually feeling fine.  I told GG, who looks at my swollen schnoz worriedly, that I've had arthritis flare-ups that felt way worse than this has. 

Reading has been a little problematic. There's stitches across the bridge of my nose right where my glasses rest. This means I can only tolerate my glasses being on for so long.  End result? Shorter reading time. 

TO TEMPT THE WOLF by Terry Spear looks like it's going to be a DNF. I did manage to get through TUCKER'S CLAIM by Sarah McCarty. I re-read CAINE'S RECKONING recently and it was better than I remembered, so I thought maybe with more realistic expectations I would have a better reading experience with TUCKER'S CLAIM. It just wasn't what I was hoping for. One of the things I've liked most about Ms. McCarty's writing were the multi-layered and complex characters she has. There is so much room for possibilities in this Hell's Eight series that I couldn't help but being disappointed. I think more exploration or at least a further explanation of their past and how the men of Hell's Eight got where they are would be great. Everything just feels too rushed to me. 

Now I'm on to TEMPT ME AT TWILIGHT Lisa Kleypas' latest historical that is also a part of the Hathaway family series. I've barely cracked it, so not much to tell there.

I'm also excited about DOUBLEBLIND by Ann Aguirre. On Tuesday on our way home from the hospital my sweet and darling husband stopped at the bookstore so I could get the Kleypas book.  Lo and behold there was DOUBLEBLIND so it made its way to my house as well. A girl's gotta have something to read while she recovers doesn't she?

That's it for now.  Sort of a rambling mishmash isn't it?  

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

I hope you feel better soon! And I hope you enjoy the book.

11:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

AA, I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

5:49 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Wait, 60 stitches?!?!?! On your nose? How can it fit?!? LOL. but seriously, it sounds ouch ^_^;

I hope your eye is not as swollen... and it's just too bad that you cannot use this recovery period to read as much as you'd like :(

7:31 AM PDT  
Blogger WarriorM said...

I hope you can tolerate your glasses sooner than later. Out of everything, you know, the pain, discomfort, stitches and sleeplessness, the not being able to read has got to be the absolute worst!!!!

Wishing I was there...maybe I could start a career as your personal reader!

9:03 AM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

Ouchie!I hope you start feeling better soon! I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of Kleypas book the other two were okay but this one sounds really promising.

9:58 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm in a bit of a reading funk thanks to string of "C" (or lower) grade books. I'm desperate for something B-level at this point, and I'm ready to sell my soul for a keeper.

Can't wait to see you Saturday chickie!

1:52 PM PDT  
Blogger sula said...

sounds like a time for audiobooks!

hope you are feeling better. :)

11:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Joanna Chambers said...

*closing my eyes and sending you good wishes.....(wait for it).....NOW*

12:51 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, everybody wonders that about the stitches. The start in the corner of my eye on the right side of my nose come down about an inch go across the bridge and then do a sort of inverted heart pattern and end on the right side almost back up to the corner of my eye.

Warrior M, my light weight plastic reading glasses are working pretty good. My heavy sunglasses and my "every day" glasses? Not so much. Still.

Giselle, I finished the Kleypas Saturday morning. Can't wait to see what people are thinking and saying about it.

Wendy, twas great seeing you and hearing the "big news". Also getting to meet Lil Sis was pretty cool as well. I hope your reading blues go away sooner than later.

Sula, thankfully the reading glasses are working out pretty good. I wish all my glasses were so light weight.

Tumperkin,reading your comment earlier today was awesome. It was just perfect timing. Truly.

10:44 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hey Rosie, glad you're on the mend. Those stitches can get itchy.

6:45 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

ames, you probably remember from you hand and the stitches you had how itchy they are. Mine are still bumpy and there's still a little swelling so sometimes I scratch and muck things up... I can't help though I tell you!

9:21 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home